PRESENT: Mr Terry Stewart President

Mr John Sprackling Chairman

Mr Paul Fearnley Hon Treasurer

Mr Keith Alcroft Planning Officer

Mr John Gunton Magazine Editor

Mr Roger Allen Advertising Manager

Mrs Joan Bailey Acting Minutes Secretary

GUESTS: Martyn Underhill, Dorset Police & Crime Commissioner – Guest Speaker

Robert Syms MP

Cllr Mrs May Haines – Canford Cliffs Ward Councillor

Cllr Neil Sorton – ditto

PC Nick Lee

Ken Bearcroft – Parkstone Bay Association

And approx 120 Members/Wardens of the Association

1. WELCOME : The Chairman thanked everyone for their attendance and welcomed today’s speaker,

Martin Underhill, Dorset Police & Crime Commissioner, Robert Syms MP, Ken Bearcroft, Chairman,

of the Parkstone Bay Association and PC Nick Lee. He then introduced each member of the

Executive Committee.

2. APOLOGIES : Apologies were received from Wayne Hancock (Vice Chairman). Carol Parkin (Hon

Secretary) Peter Schofield, John Morison, Kevin Goldstein-Jackson & Ken Sanson, Chairman,

Sandbanks Association.

3. AGM 2013 MINUTES : Accuracy & Matters Arising The Chairman said that the Minutes of the

AGM held on 27th April 2013 had been included in the Autumn 2013 magazine. He had not been

contacted about their accuracy and asked for a show of hands to approve the Minutes as no queries

had arisen. This was given and the Minutes were approved.

4. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT : The Chairman said that he proposed to limit his report to the up-dating of

items included in his Chairman’s Report in the Spring magazine as follows:

Community Engagement Working Party (CEWP) – This is an Agenda item for Tuesday’s

Cabinet meeting, when it will be discussing a document Engaging with communities in Poole’.

Sustaining Poole’s Seafront (Including proposal for On-Street Pay & Display on selected roads

adjacent to beach areas) – This was formerly known as the Beach Master Plan. JS said that he gets

the impression that the Council is getting the message that residents do not want to see an overcommercialisation

of our beaches and this subject is due to be included on the Agenda for the next

Economy Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting on 5 June 2014.

Navitus Bay Offshore Wind Farm – Roy Pointer to provide an update about this under Any Other


Gypsy & Traveller Encampments – This is an Agenda item for Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting. JS

reported that that day’s Daily Echo included a story that security staff with dogs had turned away a

number of suspected travellers’ vehicles from King’s Park in afternoon of the previous day and that a

‘lock-down’ on public spaces and council car parks has been re-imposed for the weekend after the

Authority received information that local sites might be targeted.

Poole Harbour Commissioners (PHC) – A public display of the Port of Poole Master Plan is to be

held in the North Lounge Passenger Terminal at the Port of Poole on Monday 28th

April 2014 from

3.00pm to 7.00pm to enable public inspection of the key documents.

Membership Secretary – The Association is still looking for someone to fill this role.

Conclusion – The Chairman expressed his personal thanks to Committee members and Road

Wardens for all their work on the Association’s behalf and to members for their valuable support.

5. TREASURER’S REPORT : Paul Fearnley’s Income and Expenditure Account for the Year Ended 31

December 2013, as displayed on the reverse of the Agenda, shows a deficit for the year of approx

£1,800 as opposed to a surplus the previous year.

The deficit arises from two main items of expenditure, one being the Association’s contribution to

PCBA of £1,250 and the second one due to an effort to increase membership of the Association

which involved distributing the magazine to every resident in the BH13 and BH14 postcode areas.

Membership did increase but not as much as hoped for. PF advised the campaign was not solely to

increase subscriptions but to ensure a stronger force when supporting/fighting local issues. Currently

membership stands at 2,698 members.

PF made a plea to members to pay by Standing Order which makes life a bit easier for him and also

to please check existing Standing Orders where often the amount is out of date and there has been

a change of bank, etc. Mr Fearnley was given a round of applause for all his hard work during the


6. APPOINTMENT OF AUDITOR : Peter Schofield had audited the Accounts and has agreed to

continue for a further year. JS asked for approval by the meeting and this was given by a show of



Terry Stewart thanked John Sprackling for all his hard work as Chairman and, as JS is willing to take

on the responsibility of Chairman of the Association for a further year, JS asked whether there were

any other nominations as Chairman. As there were not, JS was unanimously voted as Chairman for

the coming year.

8. ELECTION OF EXECUTIVE : JS asked for any nominations for the Executive Committee positions

before proceeding with the election of the existing Executive Committee, who had all indicated their

willingness to stand. As there were no nominations, the current Executive Committee were

unanimously elected en bloc. A show of hands carried the motion.

President Terry Stewart

Chairman John Sprackling

Vice Chairman Wayne Hancock

Treasurer Paul Fearnley

Membership Secretary Vacant

Planning Officer Keith Alcroft

Secretary/Minute Secretary Carol Parkin

Magazine Editor John Gunton

Magazine Advertising Roger Allen

JS appealed for a Membership Secretary to come forward as currently the position is being

undertaken by Paul Fearnley in addition to his role as Treasurer. The role is not too onerous but

does require someone with access to a computer.

9. GUEST SPEAKER : JS welcomed Martyn Underhill, Dorset’s Police & Crime Commissioner, who

has been in the post for around 16 months but has already made his mark. MU has re-introduced

the Marine Surveillance team, reduced the cost of the Police helicopter by joining forces with the

neighbouring authority. MU has encouraged Neighbour Watches, set up Victim Forums, Community

Speedwatch Groups and, on Monday, is due to receive a Community Engagement award at the

Police HQ at Winfrith from an organisation set up to scrutinise the performance of Police

Commissioners in England and Wales. The Chief Executive of this organisation says “Mr Underhill’s

work was an excellent example of how PCCs can engage with the public.”

MU advised that he had undertaken a review of the speed cameras policy in Dorset, because

residents view cameras as a “cash cow”, and the results are due soon. He also spoke about his

desire to equip every officer with a Body Worn Video. He explained this will be of help in areas such

as domestic abuse which is a hard area to convict at court without video evidence. In the USA and

Canada, it has also been shown that it reduces complaints against police by 40%, and the cameras

are also useful to protect the Police from being assaulted. On tasers, these are being used more and

more, because more and more officers are being trained. He spoke about his passion for early

intervention, if we could get every 5 year old to start schooling being able to read write and talk

properly…. We could change a generation. There are two pilots underway now in Dorset changing

behaviour for the 0-5’s, in Poole and Weymouth.

Community Safer Neighbourhood Partnerships: MU is liaising with Poole’s CSP and the Local

Authority. Meetings are chaired by Cllr Judy Butt. Some of the funding comes from MU.

Closure of police stations: There has been a 20% cut in budget, necessitating a 20% cut in staff, it follows
that a 20% cut in buildings is needed too.

Community Remedy: MU consults on CR in his local forums. He gave an example where the public

were consulted on suitable punishments for low level crime.

They were presented with 5 options and asked to prioritise, i.e. do you help vulnerable people, such

as help a vulnerable persons garden, help paint the village hall; assist with litter picking on beaches

or , assist with road clearance, etc. MU would have expected the top answer to be “help vulnerable

people” but the majority chose clearing roads and drains. A resident raised the point that the

questions asked at that forum may have occurred during the bad weather when there was severe

flooding and weather could therefore have had an effect on the outcome of such a “survey”.

MU agreed this was a good point and he would take this on board in future.

MU advised that as from 6th October 2014 he will take over the responsibility for issuing a menu of

punishments for low level crime.

From November there will be a victims website set up where you can go for help and assistance.

Mental health: MU is concerned that far too many people are being taken into police custody when

what they really need is medical attention. Last year, 157 mental health patients were taken into

custody, five of whom were 17 years old or under. From April, a triage scheme will operate so that a

mental health worker will be at the scene in addition to a police constable to assess whether medical

treatment is needed rather than police custody. Currently the situation is due to lack of hospital beds

which is an NHS issue.

Emerging Issues: MU outlined the increase in cyber crime, on-line crime, identity theft, phishing,

cyber bullying (where we are not ready for it as there is an increase in the 14-16yr old age group,

mainly among girls and where there needs to be advice for parents and victims on what to do and

where to go to for advice) and lastly sexting, where girls, in particular are persuaded to send

photographs of themselves to “boyfriends” on line and then find the pictures have gone global).

On human trafficking, sexual exploitation and human slavery, MU pointed out this is on the radar and

as recently reported in the National press there was a recent case of human slavery at a Ringwood

Road business.

On gypsies and travellers, MU calls this a “groundhog day” issue which occurs every year and has

yet to be resolved. He receives hundreds of emails during summer traveller time, when

unauthorised sites keep appearing. At the Planning Committee for Dorset to be held on 9th May

Dorset County Council will consider planning permission for a site for Dorsetshire but not for Poole

and Bournemouth. Local Authorities such as Poole and Bournemouth would like to share that site,

but cannot by law. MU predicts similar problems to last year in Poole. MU and Cllr Judy Butt will be

working together to lobby Government for a change in the law.

On Rave/Party Houses, MU advised that he had received 96 emails from residents on this subject to

date but questions whether it is primarily a Police issue; rather it is more one for the Local Authority.

He accepted it is a growing problem. The change in the law in October will have an impact on this,

and should strengthen the ability to deal with the houses. The SNT and Local Authority are taking

action and are engaged with all parties on this issue as the current law is clearly not good enough.

MU cannot change the law and he was pleased to see Robert Syms here today, who is also lobbying


Before handing over to PC Nick Lee who is the Police Constable working on the Rave/Party House

issue, MU advised he was also President of the Parkstone Rotary Club and he would like to promote

a fund raising event to be held at St Luke’s church on 31st May at which the Dorset and Gwent

Police Male Voice Choirs would be singing – all welcome to attend, tickets available from Select

Travel, Canford Cliffs.

PC Nick Lee – Rave/Party Houses: NL advised that this has been raised at MU’s local forums and

with Neighbourhood Watch. There is one Company responsible for the majority of lettings, DeLuxe

Holiday Homes, who also own properties elsewhere in the Borough besides Canford Cliffs. When

there is a problem he advised residents to ring 101 and Environmental Health at the time of any

disturbance giving details of the address where there is a disturbance and this will be logged on the file and officers will attend. He advised the police have been engaged with the Council
ater over the matter and that he is also working with DeLuxe Holiday Homes who are co-operating by displaying posters in their properties asking party goers to respect their neighbours.

Jenny Cameron (resident in Moorfields Road with neighbour a “party house”) explained she and her

husband had been suffering noise and disturbance every week-end for the last three years and

although the Police have been attentive she knows from experience that DeLuxe Homes have not

been bothering to deal with this by way of posters etc. DeLuxe Homes say that these are “family

holiday week-ends” but this is not the case – they are all single sex groups and young, heavy

drinking party goers (Tesco vans delivering alcohol throughout the night and early hours). She feels

the way to deal with this is for the Planning Department to invoke Change of Use from residential to


Robert Syms MP agreed this is commercial business and the matter has been raised with the Local

Authority who are looking into Change of Use. London has a total ban on these commercial

activities but he felt this would not sit right with this area in view of many genuine family holiday lets.

He advised that the Local Authority can have authority to close a house for 6 months under the Anti

Social Behaviour Act coming into force on 6th October when the matter can be dealt with between the

Police, the Local Authority and local residents.

Steve Cameron has been investigating all aspects and has come to the conclusion this is definitely a

Planning issue. He took the matter up with the Planning Department in November 2012 regarding

the change of use but the Council did nothing. He feels that the Local Authority and the residents

should have control over this but to date residents have not been involved in any discussions.

Cllr May Haines advised the LA is taking this seriously. Tim Martin, Head of Legal Services for the

LA has agreed the time has come for Planning to review the evidence they have to date. A meeting

has been held in Council along with the ASB team. Mr Thorne, Head of Planning Department, who

was at the meeting, is currently on leave but on his return Mr Martin will work with the Planning

Department to review the evidence.

Stewart Griffiths of Burton Manor, 2 Burton Road advised he was the owner of one of these houses

he had no evidence of any complaints. On the matter of health and safety, he produced

documentation to show he has had a fire risk assessment carried out, commercial insurance

certificate and Fire Regulations.

A resident in Elgin Road advised that over the last 2-3 years parties of youngsters have been arriving

at party houses in the road, causing disturbance between 2, 3 and 4am.

On another issue, Mr Dennis Riley resident, asked PC Lee about marijuana and cannabis farms. PC

Lee agreed this is on their radar and here the Police are reliant on residents to report any suspicious

activity in their area.

JS advised that in view of time constraints he would have to move on to Any Other Business but all

are welcome to come along to the next meeting of the Association to be held on the second

Wednesday in May at 7.30pm in the Committee Room, rear of St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (access

via Lindsey Road).

Chairman’s note:14 May clashes with the date of the Reconvened Annual Council meeting so it has

been agreed for the next meeting to be rescheduled this to the following Wednesday (21 May), so

that our Ward Councillors can attend. I was also planning to attend the Reconvened Annual

Council Meeting, to report back on the appointment of Cabinet & Committee Members etc.


Navitus Bay Offshore Wind Farm – Roy Pointer gave a short presentation on the Navitus Bay

Offshore Wind Farm. With regard to noise, if the project goes ahead Bournemouth, Poole and

Swanage residents will have to put up with high noise levels during construction over 4-5 years when

piling takes place.

The application for consent has now been deposited by the developer to the Planning Inspectorate

and a decision will be made on whether to accept it for Examination by 8th May 2014.

Part of the noise calculations used a Standard that is used for land based turbines and specifically not

for offshore; this suggests a level above the permitted maximum noise levels at the shore.

In addition to locals experiencing noise pollution there will be a large impact on tourism. The

developer’s survey showed 32% of visitors when questioned said they would not be returning to the

area during the construction period if the project goes ahead. RP showed a slide of the Skegness

wind turbines which illustrated his concerns.

He also advised there is a medical condition called Wind Turbine Syndrome which has been reported

in N. America and Australasia and which particularly affects people with certain pre-existing

conditions e.g. high blood pressure, migraine etc.

RP advised there is a presentation which is being held at the BIC on 10th May for Bournemouth

residents but so far Poole has not consulted local residents.

He urged everyone to take action to prevent the project going ahead by registering on the Planning

Inspectorate website (www.planningportal.gov.uk/infrastructure) and to support the “Stop Navitus

Bay” movement.

UKIP: JS informed those present that there would be a meeting that afternoon at The Grasshopper in

Parkstone at 3.00pm organised by UKIP.

11. REFRESHMENTS : The Chairman closed the meeting at 11.45am and invited everyone to partake of

the refreshments provided.

John Sprackling


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.