BPCCRA Minutes 8th June 2011


HELD ON WEDNESDAY 8th parajumper JUNE 2011 AT 7.30PM



  • Terry Stewart President parajumperjackorse
  • John Sprackling Chairman
  • Carol Parkin Secretary
  • Keith Alcroft Planning Officer
  • Bob Young Magazine Advertising
  • Cllr Mrs May Haines Ward Councillor
  • Cllr Peter Pawlowski Ward Councillor
  • Cllr Neil Sorton Ward Councillor
  • Approx 15 Members/Wardens


JS welcomed the three Ward Councillors and all those present
Apologies: Apologies received from Stan Alfert, Roy Pointer, Daphne Howell & Ken Sanson, Chairman, Sandbanks Assn.
Accuracy: JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of    JS the meeting held on 13 APRIL 2011.


Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported…
1.   Quayside (former Dolphin Quays) development – Chairman’s note: The Dolphin Quays rent review was due on 14/03/10. The Council commissioned a technical analysis of the current rent position and, based on this information, decided not to seek a review. Following the lease to Tesco Express in early 2010, I am informed that the Council’s property advisers recognise there is now a more positive position and the advice will be updated. This work is commercially sensitive and is not available for general release.

2.   Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – No new developments

3.    Quay Thistle Hotel site – ditto

4.    Old Orchard House. 39-61 High Street – ditto

5.    Land at West Quay Road (Mixed use regeneration and new public quayside to include; the demolition of a listed gate post and all existing buildings on site; the redevelopment of the site with 373 residential units provided in six apartment blocks with basement parking and courtyard) – Chairman’s note: Amended plans lodged on 07/06/11.

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:

JS provided an up-date re 147 Banks Road (Damage to four Corsican pines) – The Council has requested the Court to consider re-fixing the trial as its chosen barrister is unavailable on the dates provisionally fixed for 21st, 22nd & 23rd July 2011. The Court’s further comments are awaited

Current planning enforcement issues

Victoria Education Centre (St Aldhelms Road entrance) – The school has carried out some suitable planting and erected a chain link fence.

19 Mornish Road (Tree replacement) – The property remains unsold. Any prospective purchaser will be advised of the legal requirement to plant a replacement tree to a specification detailed in the tree replacement notice

1 Cliff Drive (Addition of four additional windows where there was one large one before) – revised retrospective application registered on 19/02/11.

2 Compton Avenue & 93 Lilliput Road (Boundary treatment) –No new developments.

55 Canford Cliffs Road (Removal of the gates, railings, fence and hedge, and the erection of a low stone wall with planting behind) – ditto

Land adj to 20A Chaddesley Glen (Land be reinstated) – ditto

Community Working Group (CWG): The Minutes of the Community Working Group meeting on 04/05/11 are now available and will be circulated with the Minutes of this meeting.

Council Tax 2010/11 & Council’s Budget Monitoring report: In the absence of William Mutlow, JS reported that Council Budget Monitoring (Financial Outturn) 1st April 2010 to 31st March 2011 is to be presented at next week’s Cabinet meeting.

14 proposals were approved by the Cabinet on 16/03/11 and the aim of these is to save up to £1.5M from the costs of employment in 2012/13 and 2013/14. These proposals include the proposal to reduce the mileage rate payable to staff using their own cars for work purposes.
NS pointed out the changes involve a change in the terms and conditions of the staff and negotiations with recognised Trades Unions are continuing both at a local and national level.

Poole Partnership – JS reported that an Invitation had been extended by Poole Partnership to a Meet & Greet Event on Tuesday 21st June 2011 4pm – 6pm    JS Cattistock Room (Conference Room) Civic Centre. This event provides a unique opportunity to meet with elected members and a wide range of partners from the public, private and voluntary sector in Poole. There will be stands showcasing the work of partners and the opportunity to find out more about partnership working in Poole.

Public Rights of Way:

Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – No new developments.

Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road – ditto

Bessborough Road – ditto

Footpath 82 Spur – ditto

Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to organise Sub-Committee.

Canford Cliffs Play Area/Pinecliff Gardens (Sunken garden): WH reported that the work on the garden so far has been carried out by Victoria School. The Eastern    JS/WH Rockery has been cleared and that is the area that will be concentrated on first. There was an article in the Bournemouth Echo, but as yet there had been no volunteers. WH called, yet again, for volunteers as there ought to be some participation by the residents, not only Victoria School. JS said that he would prepare a poster that can be put up on the Library Notice Board, the Village Hall Notice Board and the Post Office Notice Board. Chairman’s note: Since the meeting Wayne Hancock tells me that we have been successful in recruiting about six volunteers.
Daphne Howell and Wayne are holding a meeting for all volunteers at the Sunken Gardens, at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, 23rd June. All welcome!

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) – JS is pursuing.

Poole Council’s Efficiency Review Programme: JS said that he hoped to have more to report following the next Council Efficiency and Effectiveness Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting on 07/07/11.

Localism and Decentralisation Bill: The second reading of the Bill took place in  the House of Lords yesterday (07/06/11).

Hedge at Kenilworth Court – MH reported that as far as the Council are concerned, now that the hedge has been cut back and no longer infringes the highway they will take no further action. An unfortunate consequence of this ‘cutting back’ has meant that it now looks extremely unsightly, but nothing further can be done by the Council. MH will pursue this issue further by contacting the Residents of the flats and garnering their opinions. Chairman’s Note: Concern has been expressed about the white ‘portakabins’ erected on the 3rd floor of this block and investigations are being carried out that these are in accordance with the planning consent granted in 2008.

Poole & Christchurch Bays Shoreline Management Plan – JS directed members’ attention to the website where there is a very good flyer on the study. Roy Pointer    RP will say a few words about this at the next meeting.

3.    NEW HOUSING DEVELOPMENT Keith Alcroft reported…

5 Excelsior Road (Demolish existing buildings and erect 1 No 4 bed house with integral garage) – Application was registered on 11/05/11 and has been ‘Red- carded’.The Assn will be sending a letter of objection.

Other current planning issues
Rear of 16 Haven Road (Demolish existing extension and erect 1 No 2 bed house with associated parking) – Application refused on 17/05/11.

47A Lindsay Road (Erection of a Class C2 care home for the elderly with associated car parking) – Application registered on 31/03/11. Transportation Services report lodged on 16/05/11.

24 Ravine Road (Overhang on right hand side of garage is 800mm but should be 200mm) – retrospective application lodged on 24/03/11. The house has not been built in accordance with the plans and the conditions have not been fulfilled.

63 Haven Road (Outline application to erect four detached houses with parking/garaging provisions and formation of vehicular accesses (existing dwelling to be demolished)- subject to ‘Written representations’ appeal. (APP/Q1255/A/11/2145209). Site visit took place at 11.15 on 08/06/11.

8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application. An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property. This property is up for sale at ‘offers’ in excess of £2m.

60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.

5.    ACCOUNTS TO DATE – JS reported that the total funds as at 31st May    JS amounted to £33,782.45.


Former Poole Pottery factory buildings in Sopers Lane – NS said that he was expecting the Chairman to refer to the appeal decision in relation to the 80 bed Care Home at the site, which he had been keeping an eye on. The Inspector had  reversed the Council’s refusal and allowed the appeal. NS expressed his great surprise at this. JS pointed out that he reported on this in the last minutes and there is an article about this in today’s Daily Echo in which the new Chairman of the Planning Committee, Cllr Philip Eades, has expressed his concern too.

Use of Credit Cards by Council Officers – TS reported that due to all the comment in the press about ‘Council credit cards’ he had been informed by Poole’s Chief Executive that NO Poole Councillor has a credit card – this was confirmed by our Ward Councillors present – and the Council Officers are very carefully monitored on    ACTION expenses claimed through their credit cards. However John McBride feels that there  are too many issued credit cards and he is going to review this and reduce the number. PP pointed out that it was the Audit Commission which encouraged the use of credit cards by Local Authorities in the first instance.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 7.50 pm.

Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 13th July 2011 in the Main Hall at Branksome St    All Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road)
NB Wine & ‘nibbles’ to be served in the Centre garden at conclusion of meeting