BPCCRA Minutes 13th July 2011



John Sprackling (JS)

Carol Parkin (CP)

Keith Alcroft (KA)

Bob Young (BY)
Chairman Secretary Planning Officer
Magazine Advertising Cllr Mrs May Haines (MH)    Ward Councillor
Approx. 20 Members/Wardens

JS welcomed Cllr (Mrs) May Haines and all those present, including Geoff Solomon, a former Chairman of the Assn who was about to leave Poole and move to live close to his son, near Silverstone.
Apologies: Apologies received from Cllr Neil Sorton, Terry Stewart, Chris Stracey, Daphne Howell & Ken Sanson
Accuracy: After receiving no comments, JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting held on 08 JUNE 2011.

2. MATTERS ARISING Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported…
1.    Quayside (former Dolphin Quays) development – No new developments 2.    Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – ditto 3.    Quay Thistle Hotel site – ditto 4.    Old Orchard House. 39-61 High Street – ditto
5.    Land at West Quay Road (Mixed use regeneration and new public quayside to include; the demolition of a listed gate post and all existing buildings on site; the redevelopment of the site with 373 residential units provided in six apartment blocks with basement parking and courtyard) – Amended plans lodged on 07/06/11.

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:
19 Mornish Road (Tree replacement) – The property remains unsold. Any prospective purchaser will be advised of the legal requirement to plant a replacement tree to a specification detailed in the tree replacement notice
Current planning enforcement issues
147 Banks Road
(Damage to four Corsican pines)
– Next Court Hearing fixed for 17 -19
October 2011 at Bournemouth Magistrates Court.
Victoria Education Centre
(St Aldhelms Road entrance) –
The school has carried out some
suitable planting and erected a chain link fence.
2 Compton Avenue & 93 Lilliput Road
(Boundary treatment)
– No
new developments.
55 Canford Cliffs Road (Removal of the gates, railings, fence and hedge, and the erection of a low stone wall with planting behind) – ditto Land adj. to 20A Chaddesley Glen (Land be reinstated) –
23 Ravine Road
(Unauthorised tree work)
Court Hearing fixed for
Bournemouth Magistrates Court, Stafford Road
July at 10am

Community Working Group (CWG): Next meeting of Community Working Group is fixed for 10/08/11. WH has been asked to raise the issue of the open metal gates provision within the Branksome Park Conservation Area. If the LPA no longer feel that this is relevant then it should be deleted. Having provisions which are ignored in practice undermines the authority of the Character Appraisal and Management Plan. .

Council Tax 2010/11 & Council’s Budget Monitoring report: William Mutlow reported on the Council Budget Monitoring report (1 April 2011 – 31 May 2011) which shows that the Council’s Budget faces continuing pressures – the estimated over-spend at the end of the year is £732,000 – this will change during the year. The biggest pressure is Adult Social Care. There is much work going on, especially in the Efficiency Review programme. The Cabinet approved proposals in March to reduce the cost of employment by approximately £1.5m over two years – 2012/13 and 2013/14 and hope to obtain the agreement to this by the Trade Unions by the end of September this year. There is still a tremendous amount of work to be done.
JS drew attention to the Budget Simulator www.budgetsimulator.com/poole on the BoP website. Last year, 610 responses were received and it is one of many public consultation exercises and key stakeholders events which Members use in supporting the difficult budget choices they have to make.

Poole Partnership – JS reported that both he and WH had attended the Partnership Meet & Greet Event on 21/06/11 and it was a great success.    JS
Sylvia Webster, Neighbourhood Manager, Bourne Estate has suggested the idea of a small group from the Association going along to a presentation about the work of the Bourne Valley Action Group – with a walk around and lunch or early evening (Tea rather than lunch), Saturday morning or in the working week – whatever works best.
Several members expressed an interest and JS said that he would organize a mutually convenient date.
Public Rights of Way:
Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – No new developments.    JS/RD Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road – ditto Bessborough Road – ditto Footpath 82 Spur –
Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to organise Sub-Committee.    JS
Chairman’s Note
: At last Monday’s Southern Poole Chairman’s Liaison
Group meeting, it was reported that, following RMYC purchase of Sandbanks Marina Yacht
Boatyard, the Sandbanks Assn are to press for restitution of footpath and removal of fence.
Canford Cliffs Play Area/Pinecliff Gardens (Sunken garden):
JS reported that Continental Landscapes will be starting on the new Treasure island play area being installed on the open space above the chines in Canford Cliffs today (13th July). Work is likely to take up to three weeks to complete
WH reported that we still have help from the Victoria Education Centre and we also have a working session each week with a group of ladies on a Wednesday morning from 10 until 12.30 and good progress is being made. It is hoped that the Eastern rockery will be cleared and ready for planting in autumn for next Spring and Summer. Wayne appealed for more help on a Wednesday morning. By next month he will be asking the Association for funding for plants.
MH added that she has been asked to speak at the next Area Committee meeting to bring this project to residents’ attention and possibly get more help.
Poole Council’s Efficiency Review Programme: JS reported that he had attended last Thursday’s Council Efficiency and Effectiveness Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting. The total Current 3-year Target for this programme for 2011/12 to 2013/14 had been reduced from £5,385m to £5,154m, of which £1,264m will be achieved this year.
Public Liability Insurance (PLI) – JS is pursuing.

Amount Delivered
2011/12 £000’s    £000’s
Income Generation    289 Procurement 295 Revenues & Benefits    151
Amount Remaining    ACTION to be delivered
2011/12    – 243
145 86
Customer Transport ICT Print Strategy
55 0
Total ERP Programme 790
The review of the Corporate Asset Management Plan 2010-11 is to be presented at September’s meeting of the Council Efficiency and Effectiveness Overview and Scrutiny Committee.
Localism Bill: The Bill is expected to receive the Royal Assent about October this year.    JS/TS
Hedge at Kenilworth Court – MH has written to Dr. Jolliff, one of the Directors for Kenilworth Court, asking if there are any plans for landscaping as the hedge on Haven Road is so    MH unsightly.
Poole & Christchurch Bays Shoreline Management Plan – Roy Pointer reported that there is a leaflet on the Shoreline Management Plan which can be printed off the BoP website.    RP Essentially there is no change to Canford Cliffs Ward.
RP went on to say that he had been to a presentation held by the Bournemouth Natural Science Society to talk about NAVITUS. NAVITUS proposes to establish a substantial wind farm off Poole Bay. Our own council plus Bournemouth and Dorset County Council will have no input with regard to planning etc., as this will be dealt with by HMG, with, it seems, no local consultation. With regard to the amount of electricity generated by this wind farm, the amount is miniscule compared to other wind farms in the UK, and the cost is phenomenal. Much of this will be borne by the general public in the form of a ‘stealth’ tax on electricity bills.
RP suggests that this is an extremely important matter, and feels that the Borough Councils and County Council should get together to oppose this proposal.
RP thought it was an excellent idea for as many of us as possible to contact our MP, Robert Syms, to express our feelings.
MH said that she would speak to Mr. Syms.
3.    NEW HOUSING DEVELOPMENT Keith Alcroft reported…    KA
3 Ravine Road
(a) Application for a new planning permission to replace extant permission 07/01169/006/F to erect 3 storey block of flats. The Assn. lodged letters of objection on 20/06/11 & 28/06/11. Chairman’s Note – Application granted subject to Unilateral Undertaking on 14/07/11 (b) Application for a new planning permission to replace extant permission 08/01169/007/F to erect two storey extension to rear, erect dormer to front and erect dormer to side with additional roof lights. Chairman’s Note – Application granted subject to conditions on 14/07/11
Other current planning issues
1 Cliff Drive
(Addition of four additional windows where there was one large one before)
revised retrospective application granted on 06/07/11.

5 Excelsior Road (Demolish existing buildings and erect 1 No 4 bed house with integral garage) – Application was registered on 11/05/11 and has been ‘Red-carded’. The Assn. lodged a letter of objection on 10/06/11. 47A Lindsay Road (Erection of a Class C2 care home for the elderly with associated car parking) – Application registered on 31/03/11. Transportation Services report lodged on
24 Ravine Road (Overhang on right hand side of garage is 800mm but should be 200mm) – retrospective application lodged on 24/03/11. The house has not been built in accordance with the plans and the conditions have not been fulfilled.
63 Haven Road (Outline application to erect four detached houses with parking/garaging provisions and formation of vehicular accesses (existing dwelling to be demolished)- subject to ‘Written representations’ appeal. (APP/Q1255/A/11/2145209). Site visit took place at 11.15 on 08/06/11. 8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application. An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property. This property is up for sale at ‘offers’ in excess of £2m. 60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.
5.    ACCOUNTS TO DATE – JS reported that the total Assn. funds as at 30th June    JS amounted to £34,367.39.
Garden Waste Collection – The consultation runs until Friday 29th July but Option 6 below has been agreed ‘in principle’ pending a further report to Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 08/09/11. The cost to householders would be £31 per annum and it is felt that this option provides the best strategy of closing the gap in the Medium Term Financial Plan and enabling new properties to join the scheme at a reasonable price.
The proposed options were as follows… Option 1 – Do nothing – Continue the current scheme (April – October) Option 2 – Stop the free garden waste scheme entirely to all 22,000 households Option 3 – Stop the free garden waste scheme entirely to all 22,000 households, roll out no garden waste in black bin across whole Borough Option 4 – Continue the current scheme (April – October). No garden waste in black bin rolled out across whole Borough to those both on and off the scheme Option 5 – Extend the current free scheme to an additional 11,000 properties. No garden waste in black bin rolled out across whole Borough to those both on and off the scheme Option 6 – Offer a chargeable scheme for 9 months (March – November) No garden waste in black bin rolled out across whole Borough to those both on and off the scheme Option 7 – Offer a chargeable scheme for 12 months. No garden waste in black bin rolled out across whole Borough to those both on and off the scheme.
MH said that the initial pilot scheme of providing some households with green waste bins had been extremely successful and the Council were continually asked by others ‘when are we all going to get a green bin?’ The answer to this is that it will not be rolled out across the borough as it is unaffordable. The opinion of the committee of the Council when they discussed this matter was that the only way it could be rolled out across the whole borough was by charging a fee for this.
Much discussion followed. One member thought that starting to charge for a green waste bin was a negative step in recycling.
KA asked where the green bins waste currently goes. SA explained that green waste is converted into compost for sale at the recycling plant. MH pointed out that the recycling plant does not belong to the council.
After more discussion. JS said that we were not going to reach a consensus and asked everyone to look at the leaflets that Cllr MH had brought, and send the prepaid section back to the council with suggestions.
The proposal by RP was that that Association supports to retaining of the status quo and this was put to the vote, and the motion was carried.

Lindsay Road and St Aldhelms Road Junction – The problems of traffic in this area were discussed at length.    Paul Turner proposed Smart traffic lights or mini-roundabout but JS said that, in the current economic climate the cost was likely to be prohibitive.
Sheena Vickery suggested a ‘no right turn’ into St Aldhelms Road for motorists travelling from Westbourne. The signs would be cheap, but they need to be combined with a pedestrian refuge as otherwise speed would just increase. This proposal was opposed by Stan Alfert who said that this junction was widely used by residents living in Branksome Park who would otherwise be required to use The Avenue, which is already congested at times.
JS suggested the formation of a ‘sub-group’ to try to come up with a solution. This will be kept on the Agenda.
AIMCommunity – Richard Newland, Project Manager of this social inclusion project run by The Salvation Army in Poole has contacted JS. The organisation is working to try and create opportunities and hope for the many children in the Borough who struggle in education, at home, in their communities or have personal difficulties whether that is behaviour or learning based.
As a local project, Mr Newland is keen to try and increase the awareness of local residents of the work his organisation does, so they can both support the project in volunteering or perhaps even financially.
A charitable night is being organised in November and this will probably take place in Sandbanks/Branksome Park area.
Community Foundation – Tina Baker MinstF (Institute of Fundraising), Chief Executive, Community Foundation, Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole has also contacted JS. Ms Baker says that the fund is likely to grow to a £1m plus fund and though it has been pump-primed by the Poole Partnership, it is a registered charitable fund in its own right administered by Dorset’s Community Foundation. Its aim are to benefit the people and communities of Poole
Graffiti – Scottish & Southern Energy Sub Station Known as Site no 51 Haven Road – It was brought to the attention of the Association, by Mr. G. Davies, a member, that the sub-station was extremely unsightly, covered in graffiti and seemingly used for nefarious purposes. The Canford Cliffs Land Society have the problem in hand, along with the Borough Council and MH reported that the sub-station now has railings around and the graffiti is shortly to be cleaned by the Council.
Talbot Village Trust Planning Application – Paul Turner referred to the special session of the Public Inquiry into the Talbot Village Trust application which has been arranged for next Wednesday (20/07/11) from 6pm to 8.30pm. JS said that a small turnout could send the wrong message to the Inspector.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.32 pm and was concluded with a ‘glass’ and ‘nibbles’.
Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 10th August 2011 in the Main Hall at Branksome St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road)

Promotion of Cycling – Poole, Bournemouth and East Dorset Cycling Club are campaigning for the ‘Right to Ride’ project, whereby people are being persuaded to use sustainable transport. Paul Turner offered to provide further information if this is wanted.