BOROUGH OF POOLE
NOTICE OF MEETING
A Meeting of the Cabinet will be held on 10 January 2017 at 7:00pm in the Committee Suite, Civic Centre, Poole, Dorset
To Members of the Cabinet:
Councillor Mrs Janet Walton (Chairman) (Leader of the Council)
Councillor Mrs May Haines (Vice Chairman) (Deputy Leader of the Council)
Councillors: Drew Mellor, Mohan Iyengar, Ian Potter, John Rampton, Mrs Karen Rampton and Mike White
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
To receive any apologies for absence.
- DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTEREST(S)
To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interest(s) of Members and/or Officers in matters appearing on the Agenda.
- DECISIONS OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
To confirm that the Decisions of the previous Meeting held on 6 December 2016, (previously circulated to all Members), are a correct record.
- EXPLORING OPTIONS FOR THE FUTURE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN BOURNEMOUTH, POOLE AND DORSET
That Cabinet recommends to Council as follows:
- That there has been a powerful public response acknowledging a compelling case to change local government structures in Dorset.
- That a submission should be made to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government requesting that the existing nine county, district, and unitary Councils should be replaced by two new unitary Councils.
- That based upon the weight of public opinion and the financial and other analytical evidence, the two new unitary Councils should be based upon the following local authority boundaries:
Unitary A – Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole plus the services currently provided by Dorset County Council in this area.
Unitary B – East Dorset, North Dorset, Purbeck, West Dorset, Weymouth and Portland, plus the services currently provided by Dorset County Council in this area
- That the Chief Executive be authorised after consultation with the Leader to agree the wording of the submission to the Secretary of State demonstrating our ambition for local government transformation and drawing on the evidence that has been presented to Councils to be made along with any other Council that has agreed to support the same option for reorganisation.
- v) That the Chief Executive be authorised after consultation with the Leader to work with other Councils that support the same option for reorganisation to develop and implement appropriate plans and allocate appropriate resources to progress local government change in Dorset and that a report on next steps be presented in due course.
REPORT OF THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE 05/01/17 WILL FOLLOW
- CAR PARKING TARIFF – REPORT OF THE HEAD OF TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
That Cabinet approve:
- The new parking charges as shown in Appendix A.
- COUNCIL TAX BASE SETTING REPORT – REPORT OF THE HEAD OF FINANCIAL SERVICES
The Cabinet be asked to approve:
- The report of the Head of Financial Services for the calculation of the Borough’s tax base for the year 2017/2018;
- That pursuant to the Head of Financial Services’ report, and in accordance with the Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) (England) Regulations 2012, the amount calculated as the Council Tax Base for the Borough of Poole for the year 2017/2018 shall be 56,366;
- This decision will be acted upon on the day following cabinet. It is not subject to call in with the exception of process.
- TRANSFER OF LAND FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT: REPORT OF THE HEADS OF FINANCIAL SERVICES AND HOUSING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
Cabinet recommends to Council that:
- The site of the Bourne Valley Community Centre and surplus adjoining land is utilised for the purpose of affordable housing.
- That the Corporate Property Officer and Head of Housing and Community Services agree the allocation of the site to a preferred Registered Provider (RP) Sovereign Housing Association for the feasibility and design work in order to assess its development potential and subject to satisfactory feasibility and design work to submit a planning application.
- That the requirement to submit a Planning Application be delegated to the Head of Housing and Community Services in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Housing.
- That authority is delegated to the Corporate Property Officer in consultation with the Head of Legal, Democratic and Strategy Services and the Head of Financial Services to negotiate the legal and financial documentation required transferring the site.
- That the existing community centre building is immediately demolished pending disposal.
- TOWN CENTRE – COMMERCIALISATION OF ASSETS
That Cabinet endorse the view of the Regeneration Working Party and expand the project brief to include additional land and property outside of the ownership and / or control of the council and then:-
- Approve that the Strategic Director for Place and the Head of Financial Services, in consultation with the Head of Legal and Democratic and Strategy Services, proceed to put in place a revised contract for the provision of advice that will support the Borough in concluding an options appraisal, masterplanning and market sounding exercise with indicative costs and recommendations on suitable delivery models.
- Set aside a further £50,000 from the capital contingency fund, which is in addition to the £100,000 already earmarked for this purpose following the Decision made by Cabinet on 22nd March 2016.
- Recognise that these funds will take the process to a stage where Cabinet and Council can decide whether to proceed to procure a joint venture or other strategic partner or partners and that further funds will be required to conclude the procurement process.
- FREE EARLY EDUCATION AND CHILDCARE SUFFICIENCY: REPORT OF THE CHAIRMAN OF PEOPLE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE)
That Cabinet note the Review and approve the new priorities within the Annual Childcare Sufficiency Assessment 2016-17.
- UPDATE OF THE SUPPORTING SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT STRATEGY 2015-2018
- approve and endorse Poole’s drive to continue to secure sustained improvement in educational outcomes for learners at Poole schools.
- Note the updated Strategy for Supporting School Improvement (Appendix A).
- Note the letter to the Leader of the Council from the Regional Director of Ofsted recognising the success of the partnership between the Council, Poole Schools Association and Poole Schools Teaching Alliance as being instrumental in the improved attainment levels of Poole pupils in 2016 (Appendix B)
- Approve the continued employment of two Specialist Posts, as outlined in Sections 4.6 and 4.7 until August 2017 in order to enable the delivery of the Strategy for Supporting School Improvement
- EMPLOYMENT OF TEMPORARY SPECIALIST STAFF IN ADULT SOCIAL CARE SERVICES AND COMMISSIONING AND IMPROVEMENT – PEOPLE SERVICES
Cabinet is recommended to approve the retention of three adult social care posts which are necessary to maintain safe and efficient operational and commissioning practice within adult social care. They are:
- An interim Service Manager for adult safeguarding and statutory mental health
- A specialist solicitor to advise on Continuing Healthcare, the Mental Health Act (1983) and Mental Capacity Act (2005) on an continuing basis.
- A specialist interim Contracts Manager
- EMPLOYMENT OF SPECIALIST EXPERTISE TO SECURE REQUIRED IMPROVEMENTS IN CHILDREN’S SOCIAL CARE SERVICES
Cabinet is recommended to –
- Approve the continued employment of a specialist Children’s Social Care Service Manager until 31 March 2017 (see Section 4 of the Report)
- Approve continued employment of an ICT Specialist Programmer until 30 June 2017 (see Section 5 of the Report)
- Approve continued employment of a specialist Senior Commissioning Manager until March 2017 (see Section 6 of the Report)
- PUBLIC TOILETS REVIEW – REPORT OF THE HEAD OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND CONSUMER PROTECTION
- That Cabinet approve the closure of a further eight public toilets (see appendix 1). To be closed as soon as practical arrangements can be made.
- That Cabinet approve the continued support of the Community Toilet Scheme (CTS) to encourage participants in those areas of highest footfall and to maintain the current participants (see appendix 2).
- CABINET FORWARD PLAN
To consider an extract of the Cabinet Forward Plan.
Head of Legal, Democratic and Strategy Services
30 December 2016
Pauline Gill, Democratic Services Manager
Tel: 01202 633043