Minutes of March – Branksome Park Canford Cliffs and District Residents’ Association

Minutes of monthly meeting held Wednesday March 8, 2017, at 19.30

PRESENT                              Terry Stewart                    President
Bob Reid                              Chairman
Carol Parkin                        Secretary/Minutes Secretary

Cllr. May Haines and approximately 30 wardens and members.

APOLOGIES                       Cllr. Mohan Iyengar, Mike Parkin, John Gunton, Paul Fearnley, Roger Alan, Dawn Goodson, Alan and Libby Bentall, Ken Sanson, Tracy Holmes.

The Chairman welcomed those present and was pleased to see some new members.

MINUTES OF THE FEBRUARY 2017 MEETING

The minutes of the last meeting were accepted as a correct record.

MATTERS ARISING

Parking Charges Update
RP reminded members that the Association had objected strongly to the full metering plan on the grounds that:

  1. It had been overwhelmingly rejected by residents.
  2. No evidence of congestion had been offered by the Council
  3. No complaints of lack of parking or congestion had been received by the Council.
  4. No regard had been given by the Council to the availability of off-road parking ie Beach Road car park.
  5. The scheme was to cater in part for the 25 years Beach Development Plan and was therefore premature.

The Council had now reduced the impact of the Branksome Park/Canford Cliffs portion down to the East and West sides of Western Road.  Following the advertised Traffic Order to which we had also objected, metering of the East side of Western Road, adjacent to Beach Road car park had been agreed on Monday March 6.  Proposals to meter the West side of Western Road had been withdrawn to enable a new Order to be advertised for a reduced length between Pinecliff Road Junction and the Southern boundary of No. 9 Western Road, to which we also object.

RP will now discuss the possibility of requesting a formal review of the Council’s decision with the Executive, and remind the Council that we shall still object to any metering on the West side of Western Road, even for the reduced length now proposed.

Closure of Public Toilets
The Chairman attended a call-in meeting. There was quite strong opposition to closing the toilets, especially in Baiter Park but despite this the decision was that the toilets would be mothballed.  John Sprackling commented that the closure of the toilets at the ferry to Studland was very important as during the summer when there are long queues for the ferry there will be no provision for a public toilet.   There was discussion about the various ways community toilets could operate, but generally this is not finding favour with Traders, with some places even having notices that their toilet facilities are for customers only.
There was a question as to exactly how much money was being saved in the council budget by closing toilets.  Cllr MH pointed out that as well as the maintenance costs to the Council, some toilets would need upgrading. TS suggested that CIL money could be made available for this.
Cllr Haines assured the meeting that all options were being looked at and suggestions would be welcome.

Beach Road Car Park Update.

RP reminded members that at the presentation to the meeting in December there were mixed views from the members as to the desirability of the Council developing the car park and he had reported accordingly to the Council in response to the consultation.  It would be helpful for the Association to give the Executive a more definite view and he hoped that there may be time to take soundings at the forthcoming AGM.  In this way the Council would be of no doubt as to the views of the members on the future of the car park, in the context of the review of the Local Plan due for consultation this year.
Tony Beale is currently researching old covenants on this area.  He is ill at the moment and we wish him a speedy recovery.

Canford Cliffs Beach Shelter.

The Council plan is to turn this into a cafeteria/restaurant with extra beach huts built above it, and to demolish the current ice cream kiosk.  At our last meeting there was a question as to whether the Council had made a business plan.  When this was enquired into, the Council replied that a Business Plan is not needed to submit a planning application.  Cllr MH had no knowledge of this.  The meeting is questioning whether this plan is viable.

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

5 Ormond Road                Planning Application for alterations and extensions to convert existing house
Into 4 ‘Cluster Houses’ with new vehicular access, parking and bin storage.
There is a lot of neighbourhood opposition to this.
Nick Robinson, from 11 Chester Road gave the meeting his objections to this plan.  He currently lives in a flat which has been converted very sympathetically with the area.  This Application would massively affect the street scene and undermine the integrity of the area.  ‘Cluster Houses’ is a euphemism for flats.  The adjacent houses have already disclosed that they intend to convert and extend the properties into more ‘cluster houses’.
This would mean more traffic with all the attendant risks.  Mr. Robinson feels that the Council should apply ‘Affordable housing’ in a responsible way.
If the planning application for 5 Ormond Road is passed it will set a precedent.  He feels that Poole Council displays a lack of responsibility by not maintaining this area in a sympathetic way; litter, fly tipping etc., and that this area needs to be preserved.  He encourages everybody to look at these issues – Mr. Robinson’s e mail address can be obtained from the Chairman.
Cllr MH said that she agreed with everything that has been said and was originally responsible for having this area designated a Conservation Area.
She will have very strong views to put forward to the Planning Committee.
She advised Mr. Robinson on the best way to put his objections to the Planning Committee.
There was general discussion on the Planning that has been allowed by Poole Council.

4 Brackenhill                      Demolish existing house and garage.  Construct two semi-detached houses.  Eleven letters of objection have been received.

10 Nairn Road                    Demolish existing dwelling and construct two replacement dwelling.  Some objection letters have been received.

11 Martello Rd. South    Demolish existing dwelling and erect three storey block of nine flats.  There is neighbourhood opposition to this scheme.

12 DeMauley Road          Demolish existing semi-detached dwellings and erect two replacement detached dwellings.

14 Pinewood Road          Partial demolition of building and construction of two-storey rear extension to convert to six apartments, and semi-detached house.  Continued submissions objecting to this scheme.  Amended site plans submitted.

Decisions.
6 Newton Road                Demolition of existing building and construction of two semi-detached dwellings.
This has been Granted.

ACCOUNTS

There is currently a sum of £32,467 in the account.
The Chairman was pleased to report that the funds raised from advertising in the Spring
Magazine almost covers the cost of production of the magazine.  Roger Allan, who is responsible for
advertising in the magazine had reported that this is going extremely well.
Copies of last month’s accounts are available if anyone wished to take a copy.

CANFORD CLIFFS COLLECTIVE MEETING

The Chairman reported that he attended a meeting last night of the Canford Cliffs Collective
Group. This has been set up to improve the appearance of Haven Road through the Village.
Carol Parkin also attended the meeting as she currently lives in Canford Cliffs.  She reported that
Steph Stevenson who owns the hairdressers, HNB, on Haven Road is leading this group.  Steph has
quite a few ideas to invigorate Haven Road.
These include       Holding a yearly festival – Oyster and Champagne, in September, to be organised
by a company who run all kinds of festivals all over England.
Flag poles for the walls of shops where Christmas trees, flags etc. can be displayed.
Heritage Lighting installed.
Ornamental pear trees provided to shops and business to display in tubs outside
their premises.
A defibrillator could be installed in say the Post Office area.

Funds raised from the festival would be used to improve the appearance of Haven.
This should increase footfall.

All these ideas were agreed in principle.

There was an idea to have a website, but this was shelved for the time being and  social media could be used to promote the village.

The Chairman was asked a question as to the current situation of Tesco moving into the empty shops in Haven Road.  At the Collective meeting, Matthew Robson from Poole Council had said that he expected a Planning Application to be put in imminently by Tesco.  The Chairman expected that when Tesco move into Canford Cliffs they will inject money into helping improve Haven Road.

There is a rumour that Tesco on Sandbanks will close, and if this is the case, it could be that trade in Canford Cliffs increases.

There was discussion on parking in Canford Cliffs.

TS asked Cllr MH what the Council intend for the use of Section 106 money that is still outstanding.
Cllr Haines replied that she would make enquiries.

Steph Stevenson will give a short presentation on the plans for Haven Road at our AGM in April, and it is hoped that Matt Robson and Adrian Trevett from Poole Council will come along too.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Nick Robinson asked Cllr MH for a contact at Poole Council to contact in relation to Fly Tipping.
Cllr MH supplied this.

JS asked about ‘the man in the woods’.  This man appears to be living in a den in the wood.  Cllr MH will report this to the Council.

There will be no monthly meeting in April as our AGM will be held Saturday 22nd  April.

The meeting closed at 8.45 pm

BPCCRA Meeting Agenda – March 8th

Agenda for March 8th 2017 at 7.30 pm.
To be held in the Lounge meeting room of St. Aldhelms Church (accessed from Lindsay Road).

 

  1. Welcome and apologies.
  2. Minutes of the meeting on the 8th February 2017.
  3. Matters arising
  4. Update on Parking charges and parking meters.
  5. Closing of the public toilets
  6. Beach road car park update on consultation.
  7. Canford Cliffs Beach Shelter result of enquiries.
  8. Other Planning reports
  9. Accounts
  10. Canford Cliffs Co-operative meetings.
  11. A.O.B

Minutes of February Meeting

The Next Meeting will be our AGM the 22nd April in Canford Cliffs’ Village Hall at 10.30 am.
There will be a presentation and refreshments afterwards.

Minutes of February Meeting – Branksome Park and Canford Cliffs District Residents Association

Minutes of monthly meeting held Wednesday February 8, 2017,at 19.30

at St Aldhelms Church Lindsay Road in the Lounge Meeting Room.

PRESENT                             

Terry Stewart                    President
Bob Reid                         Chairman

Roger Allen                     Vice Chairman

Carol Parkin                        Secretary/Minutes Secretary

Tracy Holmes                     Planning Officer

Cllr. Mohan Iyengar and approximately 25 wardens and members.
APOLOGIES                       Cllr. May Haines, Mike Parkin, John Gunton, Paul Fearnley, Dawn Goodson, David Mauleverer, Charles Boyle, Linda Brook, Martin Heath, Christine Blake, Julie Reid.

The Chairman extended a welcome to those present.

Minutes of the January meeting
The Chairman pointed out that Cllr. May Haines had emailed that it was not just the Civic Centre reception area which was planned to be refurbished, but the whole Customer Services reception, of which 77% of customers surveyed had said was not fit for purpose.  Since the last meeting the whole scheme has been scaled back, and we shall be looking at the new scheme.

With this correction, the minutes of the January meeting were approved.

Matters arising
Apart from the above amendment there was no other matters arising

Parking Charges.

The Chairman gave the latest update on the raising of parking charges.

The feedback has not just been from residents, but also from traders who will be affected by these charges and fear that they will lose trade.  Saying this, the Chairman went on to say that he felt the Council were not going to go back on this decision.  JS pointed out that this had been approved at last night’s Cabinet Meeting.   TS said that the charges most affecting our area are the increases to the fees charged at the car parks in Canford Cliffs and Pen Hill which have doubled.

RP commented on the other issue affecting our area – namely the proposal to install parking meters at the bottom end of Western Road.  There was a proposal by the Council, last year, to install numerous parking meters in our area, and this has now been scaled back to the area between Martello and Pinecliff Road.   RP feels that if parking meters are installed in this area, it could open the floodgates and parking meters will be installed in the other areas which were originally proposed.  This is the main reason the Assn. will object to this proposal.  The first area of objection will be the Consultation.  The second will be that the Council have stated that it will relieve congestion.  The Assn. does not feel that there has been any congestion in this area and it is not sufficient grounds for installing parking meters.  The third is that the reason for installing meters is when there is no off-road parking in the area.  As there is a car park close to this area, it is not felt that this is sufficient grounds for parking meters.  The last reason for objecting is that the Council are proposing to allow for possible congestion when the whole beach area has been redeveloped, and the Assn. does not believe that they can quantify this need at the present.
The members present showed their support of this objection by a show of hands.

Beach Road Car Park

The Council’s proposal is to sell half of Beach Road Car Park for development, and this will put extra pressure on on-road parking – namely Western Road.
When Nick Perrins, from the Council, presented the Council’s proposals for Beach Road Car Park at our December meeting, the views of those present were not overwhelmingly against this proposal.
There are a number of covenants on this land, and one from 1931 states that nothing should happen that could cause annoyance or disturbance to neighbouring residents.  This may be a reason that could be used to restrict the proposal, although it is rather vague.
Once again the issue of the signage for Beach Road car park was raised.
RP says that we ought to get a feeling for the issue of what will happen to Beach Road Car Park at our AGM in April.
There was a show of hands of those objecting to selling off part of Beach Road Car Park for development (i.e. Flats). There were eight votes objecting to selling off for development of flats.
Next there was a show of hands of those objecting to selling off part of the Car Park for a Council-run resource such as a nursing home.  There were no objections to this suggestion.
RP has suggested this to the council.
RA suggested that a care home may not be viable in the light of the number of closures of care homes across the country, and indeed in our area.
Mike Wrigley asked why, Dorset council had the amount of a reported £330M sitting in reserve as reported in the Echo, this was deemed ‘untouchable’.  JS commented that there is a sum of £6M of un-earmarked reserves, the rest is earmarked. He has a breakdown of the whole £68M.

Closure of Public Toilets

The Chairman asked if our Assn. should be objecting to the closure of public toilets as most are no in our area.  There was a general opinion at the meeting that we should be, if only as residents of Poole.  The most important closures are those at the Ferry and those in Baiter Park.
There was much discussion on this matter.  One member pointed out that as we are a tourist area, there ought to be adequate provision for visitors.  RA suggested that the toilets on the green in Ashley Cross could be re-developed as a café, with a proviso that they maintain toilets for public use. This is something he has seen in practice in other areas.

Planning Applications
4 Brackenhill                      A further application to demolish existing dwelling and erect semi detached house.  One objection has been received.

10 Nairn Road                    Demolition of existing dwelling and construction of two replacement dwellings.  Letters of objection received.

11 Martello Road South                         Demolition of existing dwelling and erection of three-storey block of nine flats.

8 Dornie Road                    Demolition of existing dwelling and erecting two houses. Neighbours are objecting to this scheme.

2 Dornie Road                    Demolition of existing dwelling and erection of two houses with garaging.  Currently this scheme is supported by neighbours.

12 De Mauley Road         Demolish existing semi-detached dwellings and erect two houses with garaging.  Currently there are no objections.

6 Newton Road                 Demolition of existing building and erect semi-detached dwellings.   Continued neighbourhood objections.

14 Pinewood Road          Partial demolition of building and construction of two-storey rear extension to convert to six apartments and semi-detached house.
Continued objections to scheme as the extension is considerably larger to that originally proposed. This property is no longer being used as an HMO.

12 Pinewood Road          The Chairman has seen a very strange bin store which can be seen from the road.  This is a conservation area.  The original plan was to have the bin store somewhere else, but it was moved and an amended plan was put in.  This was unnoticed by the Council and the Chairman believes there Is going to be a review of this.
Decisions.
1 Beaumont Road            Demolition of existing building and construction of three detached houses. Grant
11 Leicester Road             Erect two four bedroom detached houses.  Grant
A member brought up the subject of ‘land banking’.
TS replied that the Government is now proposing that if Planning Permission has been given and building has not begun after two years the Planning Permission will be withdrawn.  He believes that there are eight brown field sites in Poole that do not have any Planning Permission and currently there is nothing that can be done about this, as the Council do not have sufficient funds to carry out compulsory purchase.

Canford Cliffs Promenade Shelter

This is currently being used by the beach lifeguards as a store.  Behind this shelter are public toilets and to one side is a beach café/kiosk.  It is proposed that this is developed as a restaurant, extra beach huts are built on top and the kiosk is demolished.
The Chairman asked for comments on this plan.
The first comment was that the only access to this site was down a chine (which isn’t lit) and there is no car parking.
RP asked if a financial plan has been carried out by the Council to ascertain that this is viable.  RA asked who would carry out the development; the Council or a developer?
TS proposed that the Council be asked formally for their financial analysis of all the building costs and revenue to see if this is viable.
JS said that he would send a copy of the minutes of the Beach Hut Association’s AGM to the Chairman in order that he can see exactly what is proposed for the beach area. For instance, the promenade will be closed between Canford Cliffs and Flaghead Chines from September 4, 2017, whilst the work is being carried out.
Accounts
The Chairman and Vice Chairman had a meeting with the Treasurer and have made some proposals for next year’s budget to be agreed by the Executive and agreed at the AGM. The annual accounts are ready to be signed off.

Any other business
The Chairman explained that he had been invited to meetings with Mandy Payne from the council who set up meetings with residents and traders to improve Canford Cliffs Village Some positive ideas have been put forward at the meetings which are now carrying on since MP left the council.
Tesco are putting in plans for the four empty shops and will be moving in when planning goes through.  At our AGM we shall have a presentation from Steph Stevenson from HNB the hairdressers in Canford Cliffs who is involved in the working party.    RA suggested that BPCCRA could give a donation to the Traders to help with any plans they have.

The Chairman reminded the meeting that the Neighbourhood Watch AGM will be held on Saturday February 11, at Canford Cliffs Village Hall.
Planning Enforcement
JS reported that the Council proposes to save money by merging Planning Enforcement with the Enforcement sections of Environmental & Consumer Protection Services & Transportation Services.
Planning Enforcement is not a Statutory requirement but Poole has a dedicated Planning Enforcement team which was formed just over 10 years ago, and a Planning Enforcement policy. JS proposed a resolution that members do not wish to see any further diminution of the Planning Enforcement team.  This was unanimously approved by a show of hands.

Spring Magazine
The deadline for the Spring Magazine is the first week of March, and copy for the advertising the end of the first week of March.

RA reported that advertising for the magazine is sold out and income from the advertising is £2,000 for the Spring Magazine.  It is hoped that Tesco will take up advertising in the future.

NHS
TS appealed to members to respond to the reorganisation of Dorset NHS which has some worrying features, such as the closing of the Poole Hospital A & E, stroke and heart attack units, and moving them to Bournemouth Hospital.
Please see the website  www.dorsetsvision.nhs.uk or e mail to ask for copies of the brochure involve@dorsetccg.nhs.uk or telephone 01202 541946.
The deadline for response to the Consultation is February 28, 2017.
The number of mental health beds at St. Anne’s Hospital, Canford Cliffs is increased from 67 to 94.
TS’s main concern is whether there is adequate funding for the Dorset changes, considering the current crisis in the NHS.

Fly Tipping
Jan Wilde wished to point out that the McCarthy & Stone site on Tower Road is now being used for fly tipping, since the hoardings blocking the site have disintegrated with time.  The Chairman said that he would contact McCarthy & Stone to let them know and ask if it is their responsibility or the Council.

The meeting closed at 8.40pm.​

Agenda for Monthly Meeting 11 Jan 17

Agenda

For Monthly Meeting 11 January 2017 at 7.30p.m. in the Lounge, rear of St. Aldhelm’s Parish Church (access via Lindsay Road)

 

  1. Welcome and Apologies.
  2. Minutes of meeting 14 December 2016.
  3. Matters arising.
  4. On Road Parking Charges, latest update. Raising parking charges.
  5. Planning issues.
  6. Proposed Plans for the Civic Centre Reception.
  7. Closing Public Toilets.
  8. Beach Road Car Park.
  9. O.B

The next meeting will be on the 5th February 2017

Agenda of Cabinet Meeting – BOROUGH OF POOLE

 BOROUGH OF POOLE

CABINET

NOTICE OF MEETING

 

A Meeting of the Cabinet will be held on 10 January 2017 at 7:00pm in the Committee Suite, Civic Centre, Poole, Dorset

 

To Members of the Cabinet:

 

Councillor Mrs Janet Walton (Chairman) (Leader of the Council)

Councillor Mrs May Haines (Vice Chairman) (Deputy Leader of the Council)

Councillors: Drew Mellor, Mohan Iyengar, Ian Potter, John Rampton, Mrs Karen Rampton and Mike White

 

AGENDA

 

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

  1. DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTEREST(S)

To receive any declarations of disclosable pecuniary interest(s) of Members and/or Officers in matters appearing on the Agenda.

  1. DECISIONS OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

DECISION REQUIRED

To confirm that the Decisions of the previous Meeting held on 6 December 2016, (previously circulated to all Members), are a correct record.

 

STRATEGIC ISSUES

  1. EXPLORING OPTIONS FOR THE FUTURE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN BOURNEMOUTH, POOLE AND DORSET

DECISIONS REQUIRED

That Cabinet recommends to Council as follows:

  1. That there has been a powerful public response acknowledging a compelling case to change local government structures in Dorset.
  2. That a submission should be made to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government requesting that the existing nine county, district, and unitary Councils should be replaced by two new unitary Councils.
  • That based upon the weight of public opinion and the financial and other analytical evidence, the two new unitary Councils should be based upon the following local authority boundaries:

Unitary A – Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole plus the services currently provided by Dorset County Council in this area.

Unitary B – East Dorset, North Dorset, Purbeck, West Dorset, Weymouth and Portland, plus the services currently provided by Dorset County Council in this area

  1. That the Chief Executive be authorised after consultation with the Leader to agree the wording of the submission to the Secretary of State demonstrating our ambition for local government transformation and drawing on the evidence that has been presented to Councils to be made along with any other Council that has agreed to support the same option for reorganisation.
  1. v) That the Chief Executive be authorised after consultation with the Leader to work with other Councils that support the same option for reorganisation to develop and implement appropriate plans and allocate appropriate resources to progress local government change in Dorset and that a report on next steps be presented in due course.

REPORT ENCLOSED

REPORT OF THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE 05/01/17 WILL FOLLOW

  1. CAR PARKING TARIFF – REPORT OF THE HEAD OF TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

DECISIONS REQUIRED

That Cabinet approve:

  • The new parking charges as shown in Appendix A.

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. COUNCIL TAX BASE SETTING REPORT – REPORT OF THE HEAD OF FINANCIAL SERVICES

DECISIONS REQUIRED

The Cabinet be asked to approve:

  • The report of the Head of Financial Services for the calculation of the Borough’s tax base for the year 2017/2018;
  • That pursuant to the Head of Financial Services’ report, and in accordance with the Local Authorities (Calculation of Council Tax Base) (England) Regulations 2012, the amount calculated as the Council Tax Base for the Borough of Poole for the year 2017/2018 shall be 56,366;
  • This decision will be acted upon on the day following cabinet. It is not subject to call in with the exception of process.

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. TRANSFER OF LAND FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT: REPORT OF THE HEADS OF FINANCIAL SERVICES AND HOUSING AND COMMUNITY SERVICES

DECISIONS REQUIRED

Cabinet recommends to Council that:

  • The site of the Bourne Valley Community Centre and surplus adjoining land is utilised for the purpose of affordable housing.
  • That the Corporate Property Officer and Head of Housing and Community Services agree the allocation of the site to a preferred Registered Provider (RP) Sovereign Housing Association for the feasibility and design work in order to assess its development potential and subject to satisfactory feasibility and design work to submit a planning application.
  • That the requirement to submit a Planning Application be delegated to the Head of Housing and Community Services in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Housing.
  • That authority is delegated to the Corporate Property Officer in consultation with the Head of Legal, Democratic and Strategy Services and the Head of Financial Services to negotiate the legal and financial documentation required transferring the site.
  • That the existing community centre building is immediately demolished pending disposal.

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. TOWN CENTRE – COMMERCIALISATION OF ASSETS

DECISIONS REQUIRED

That Cabinet endorse the view of the Regeneration Working Party and expand the project brief to include additional land and property outside of the ownership and / or control of the council and then:-

  • Approve that the Strategic Director for Place and the Head of Financial Services, in consultation with the Head of Legal and Democratic and Strategy Services, proceed to put in place a revised contract for the provision of advice that will support the Borough in concluding an options appraisal, masterplanning and market sounding exercise with indicative costs and recommendations on suitable delivery models.
  • Set aside a further £50,000 from the capital contingency fund, which is in addition to the £100,000 already earmarked for this purpose following the Decision made by Cabinet on 22nd March 2016.
  • Recognise that these funds will take the process to a stage where Cabinet and Council can decide whether to proceed to procure a joint venture or other strategic partner or partners and that further funds will be required to conclude the procurement process.

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. FREE EARLY EDUCATION AND CHILDCARE SUFFICIENCY: REPORT OF THE CHAIRMAN OF PEOPLE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE)

DECISIONS REQUIRED

That Cabinet note the Review and approve the new priorities within the Annual Childcare Sufficiency Assessment 2016-17.

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. UPDATE OF THE SUPPORTING SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT STRATEGY 2015-2018

DECISIONS REQUIRED

That Cabinet:

  • approve and endorse Poole’s drive to continue to secure sustained improvement in educational outcomes for learners at Poole schools.
  • Note the updated Strategy for Supporting School Improvement (Appendix A).
  • Note the letter to the Leader of the Council from the Regional Director of Ofsted recognising the success of the partnership between the Council, Poole Schools Association and Poole Schools Teaching Alliance as being instrumental in the improved attainment levels of Poole pupils in 2016 (Appendix B)
  • Approve the continued employment of two Specialist Posts, as outlined in Sections 4.6 and 4.7 until August 2017 in order to enable the delivery of the Strategy for Supporting School Improvement

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. EMPLOYMENT OF TEMPORARY SPECIALIST STAFF IN ADULT SOCIAL CARE SERVICES AND COMMISSIONING AND IMPROVEMENT – PEOPLE SERVICES

DECISION REQUIRED

Cabinet is recommended to approve the retention of three adult social care posts which are necessary to maintain safe and efficient operational and commissioning practice within adult social care. They are:

  • An interim Service Manager for adult safeguarding and statutory mental health
  • A specialist solicitor to advise on Continuing Healthcare, the Mental Health Act (1983) and Mental Capacity Act (2005) on an continuing basis.
  • A specialist interim Contracts Manager

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. EMPLOYMENT OF SPECIALIST EXPERTISE TO SECURE REQUIRED IMPROVEMENTS IN CHILDREN’S SOCIAL CARE SERVICES

DECISIONS REQUIRED

Cabinet is recommended to –

  • Approve the continued employment of a specialist Children’s Social Care Service Manager until 31 March 2017 (see Section 4 of the Report)
  • Approve continued employment of an ICT Specialist Programmer until 30 June 2017 (see Section 5 of the Report)
  • Approve continued employment of a specialist Senior Commissioning Manager until March 2017 (see Section 6 of the Report)

REPORT ENCLOSED

  1. PUBLIC TOILETS REVIEW – REPORT OF THE HEAD OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND CONSUMER PROTECTION

DECISION REQUIRED

  • That Cabinet approve the closure of a further eight public toilets (see appendix 1). To be closed as soon as practical arrangements can be made.
  • That Cabinet approve the continued support of the Community Toilet Scheme (CTS) to encourage participants in those areas of highest footfall and to maintain the current participants (see appendix 2).
  1. CABINET FORWARD PLAN

To consider an extract of the Cabinet Forward Plan.

REPORT ENCLOSED

MEMBERS’ ISSUES 

None received.

 

Tim Martin

LLB Solicitor

Head of Legal, Democratic and Strategy Services

30 December 2016

 

Contact Officer

Pauline Gill, Democratic Services Manager

Tel: 01202 633043

Email:p.gill@poole.gov.uk

Provisional Minutes for meeting 14 December 2016

Provisional Minutes for meeting 14 December 2016

Present:-         Bob Reid          chairman

Carol Parkin     Secretary/minute secretary

Mike Parkin     Membership secretary

Tracy Homes   Planning Officer.

John Gunton   magazine editor.

Terry Stewart President

17 Wardens and Members

 

Minutes of November approved

Apologies:-  Mohan Iyengar, May Haines, Chris Stracey, Paul Fernley, Neil Denning, Roger Allen, Martin Heath.

Parking issues :- Chair confirmed that the meters in Canford Cliffs and Branksome Park are not going ahead and we are pleased the council listened to our objections.

We are still monitoring proposed meters on Western Road.

Planning:- Due to time constraint only 14 Pinewood was mentioned by the Chair who explained that a larger plan had been submitted but the HMO situation might be stopping.

Beach Road Car Park Draft Proposals:- Nick Perrins (Planning Policy & Implementation Manager at BOP Council. Gave a presentation on the proposed draft plans.

He took questions after the presentation.

After he left we had a straw pole and about 1/3 felt totally against any building on the Car Park.

About 1/3 thought a nursing home would be a good idea.

About 1/3 did not mind if building took place.

Accounts:-  Showed a continued balance and the income from the magazine is now in. Most items close to budget.

 

The meeting closed at 8.30 and Mulled Wine and Mince Pies were enjoyed by all.

Agenda of Monthly Meeting October 2016

Agenda

For monthly meeting 12th October 2016 at 7.30p.m. in the Lounge, rear of St. Aldhelm’s Parish Church (access via Lindsay Road)

 

  1. Welcome and Apologies.
  2. Minutes of meeting 14th September 2016.
  3. Matters arising.
  4. Update on the Licencing Hearing for Beach Volleyball event.
  5. On Road Parking Charges, latest update.
  6. Planning issues.
  7. Resident Parking Scheme.
  8. Accounts
  9. O.B
  10. The next meeting will be on the 12th October 2016

Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association Minutes Sept 2016

Minutes of the monthly meeting held on Wednesday 14th September 2016 at 19.30

 

Present             Bob Reid (BR)                         Chairman

Terry Stewart (TS)                   President

Tracy Holmes(TH)                   Planning Officer for Branksome Park

 

Cllr Mohan Iyengar(MI)          Ward Counsellor

 

18 wardens and members.

 

Welcome and Apologies

Roger Vice-Chairman, and Zofia Allen, Carol (CP)and Mike Parkin Secretary and Membership Secretary, John Gunton magazine editor, Paul Fernley Treasurer, and members Vivienne Evans, Dawn Goodson, Christine Norman, John Cribb and Sarah Holt.

Cllr May Haines (MH) Ward Councillor

BR thanked Julie Reid for helping to make notes for the minutes of the meeting, in the absence of CP

 

2 Minutes of meeting 13th July 2016

These had been circulated and a few were available at meeting for new members or reference.

3 Matters arising

William Mutlow (WM) pointed out that his comments had not been included in the minutes regarding Julian Osgathorpe as the Executive Director for Corporate Services for Bournemouth Borough Council and the Borough of Pool.

 

Submitted by John Sprackling (JS) with reference to item 7. We are still waiting to learn the official outcome of the Licencing Sub Committee on26 July 2016.

MI Agreed they should be online by now and explained that the confidential element would probably be due to requirements of the Legal Department.

BR pointed out that Martin Heath (MRH) has had a letter confirming that the Licence was granted with an end time of 11pm rather than 1am and restrictions on noise levels. Copies of the letter were available.

 

BR pointed out that the membership forms, separate from the magazine are already available and comply with ICO data protection requirements.

 

BR also announced that following from the June meeting when questions were asked about the four empty shops in Canford Cliffs. There has been a development in that Mandy Payne, Economic Development Officer at Borough of Poole came to a meeting with JS, BR and George Perrins of the Land Society and discussed ways in which the appearance of the shops could be improved.

Various options were discussed and it is hoped some progress can be made.

She hopes to set up a Traders Collective.

MI filled us in with the information that he has been talking to Mandy about this and she has great experience in the field business promotion professionally, He did advise caution as the four shops pay full business rates and there will be legal restrictions on what can be done. The shops are family owned and their accountant baulked at spending £2000 on improving them.

 

On completing the matters arising TS proposed accepting the minutes and JS seconded.

 

4 On Road Parking Charges, Update after the Cabinet meeting.

BR informed that the Steering Group had been meeting regularly and is awaiting to hear when the Poole Cabinet will next consider the proposal. Cllr May Haines had indicated that it probably would not be at its October meeting.

We are carrying out preliminary work for a Judicial Review if necessary should the decision be to go ahead with the meters. And have started preliminary enquiries on legal advice to that end. Any such action would be referred to members for approval.

Roy Pointer(RP) reminded members that we have issued a newsletter, on our strategy and objections copies of which are available on the website. Following a number of unsatisfactory responses to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests, RP had referred them to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for review. The latter had instructed Poole Council to provide better answers by 12th October. This £1/2 million project is claimed to ease congestion in Sandbanks area and to contribute to the 25 year Seafront Development Plan the only part of has been approved are some new beach huts.

RP explained that the public meeting in March and Poole Committee meetings had been filmed for a TV programme called “Parking Wars” to be screened on Tuesday next.

MI said that he could not add to what Janet Walton or MH have said and he said that Council would keep this proposal alive as it is their duty to consider all proposals that could raise money.

Martin Heath (MRH) said that Cabinet have never discussed congestion in detail and the project was simply about making money.

A member pointed out that the only congestion is on Sandbanks and most of the roads earmarked for meters are not congested

RP confirmed that when asked, the Council, admitted they had not recorded any complaints about congestion or the lack of parking.

A member said that living in Bingham Avenue for 15 years parking congestion had never reached their road.

Several members pointed out that you cannot legally use parking charges on roads simply to bring in funds.

Several other members spoke against the proposed scheme but no one spoke in favour.

A member said that the congestion at Sandbanks became worse after the Council took away the feeder lane to the car park.

He had also talked to the senior transport officer who told him that ‘people needed to change their attitude to the car and make more use the buses’ but all agreed that a family going to the beach would not do that, the buses are very infrequent and the “equipment” needed for a family day at the beach made the bus impractical.

5 Neighbourhood Watch  

 

BR announced that Neighbourhood Watch had a coffee morning at Sandbanks Hotel last Friday 9th September and Pat Halliday invited us to take a table to promote what we do. BR, RP, JS attended and as a result we found some new residents who have now joined up. And we explained to others how we are opposing the parking scheme and other areas we help with. We work closely with N. W. as some of our concerns overlap e.g. Party Houses

BR also pointed that their Newsletter is available and has dates for future events.

 

6 New Council Options

BR said that the consultation for the amalgamation/reorganisation of councils started at the end of August and he outlined some of the options currently proposed and that there are “roadshow” drop in sessions, and the next one is outside Budgens in Broadstone on Friday. Also that the questionnaire and more information is online at BOP website.

Several members pointed out that the survey is available in local libraries and that only 20,000 have been posted out to individual homes.

BR pointed out that some of the cards giving the options were available provided by MH on Monday.

While the objective is to reduce costs and save money it was noted that over 70% of the budget is spent on child, and elderly services so savings by reducing some staff will not make a huge saving.

MRH said the financial basis on which the reorganisation is based has many flaws and does not show how the savings will be made unless you read the Local Partnerships’ Financial Analysis report which is difficult to follow.

Several members pointed out that there is little information available on which we are meant to make a decision.

A member was concerned that the financial planning was not properly done and that the planning and information available is very poor.

MRH pointed out that the Financial Analysis report shows that new Town Councils

for Christchurch and Weymouth were being considered, but none for Poole and

Bournemouth. It appears that existing Town and Parish Councils across Dorset are to

remain. A member observed that if ceremonial Mayors were to be retained, then it

would be necessary to have Town Councils.

A member queried whether there would be extra funding from the Government, but

MRH said that this has happened with the creation of Combined Authorities with

elected Mayors and extra responsibilities, but was not applicable to the proposed

Local Authority mergers.

BR mentioned the ORS firm doing the consultation, and MH pointed out that it is more market research than consultation.

A member noted that there had already been a consultation on a combined

authority for Dorset.

Suggestions were made to combine the whole area as a unitary council but BR explained, and MI confirmed that the whole area would be too big.

MH discussed the funding around having Mayors.

TS clarified that there are two totally different exercises here. One is the merging of the nine councils into two Unitary Authorities, one urban and one rural. Separate from that there is the Dorset Authority which is linked in with the LEP. The LEP is the source of funding from Government but the LEP was being run my commercial managers with little democratic input so now they have made the leaders of the nine councils on the board and they have two responsibilities, one is transport for the whole county, and two the economic development for the whole county.

RP informed the meeting that on Monday MH had suggested the plan was to reduce staffing and other costs and save millions but that is unlikely to save very much.

BR suggested that MH, who had offered to talk to our committee could perhaps talk to our members at a meeting.

MRH was concerned that the harmonisation of council taxes was based on the assumption that Poole’s council taxpayers would be paying annual increases of 3.99% for the next 20 years, doubted the calculations and suggested that Poole residents will be paying an extra 3.99% for the next 20 years.

WM had also said that it would fall to the Tax payers to make up any shortfall.

The general feeling expressed by several members was that we had insufficient evidence on which to make a judgement so the consultation is largely irrelevant.

John Sprackling (JS) suggested we may need a public meeting to be more informed.

 

 

7 Planning issues  

Report from Tracy Holmes was read out by BR
1 Beaumont Road, Poole, BH13 7JJ

Application: Demolition of the existing building and construction of three detached houses with associated parking and access (revised scheme)

 

9 Elmstead Road

Application: demolish existing dwelling and erect two new dwellings. Grant subject to conditions

 

The Gatehouse, 6 Tower Road West, Poole, BH13 6LA

Application: Use of The Gatehouse as a self-contained and non-ancillary unit of accommodation

 

33 Cliff Drive, Poole

Planning Committee : Grant with conditions installation of flue stack

 

5-7 Chaddesley Glen

Application for flats ongoing

 

14 Chester Road

Application for side extension: Appeal lodged

 

30 Tower Road

Application for 12 flats: Ongoing

 

15 b Bury Rd

Tree work application: Hearing today

 

HMO at 14 Pinewood

Following from my correspondence with Stephen Thorne, he has made an appointment to see BR.

 

2 Martello Park the original approved plan has been modified to raise the height by what appears to be 1 metre. Looking into this.BR

 

 

8 Residents parking scheme

 

BR informed the meeting that Roger Allen had contacted Stephen Dean (SD) regarding the parking problem at Ormonde, Chester roads and that area.

BR referred to SD’s reply, thanking Roger for his introduction and said that POB council would want a positive and constructive relationship with the Residents Association and that he would pass the email to our ward councillors and to the Portfolio Holder for Transportation Drew Mellor

BR read out the final line of the email “I’ll look into the background of the situation and get back to you.”

Mike Wriggley (MW) introduced Himself and Fanchea Clarke who live in Chester Road heard about us from Neil Denning and told the meeting that the problem of parking in Chester Road has increased dramatically over the last 4 years.

He further told members that since Zone K was implemented there has been no survey of the present situation and when contacting the Council they feel fobbed off. Every 6 months it goes round in circles.

MI pointed out that he has met with Neil and Mike and filled in the background.

Originally Chester Road residents did not want to join the scheme and forest road had Yellow lines painted.

MW responded that time has moved on and LV employees, and the Nursing Home staff are causing congestion now.

MI explained that in the current climate this is a very minor issue which Officers are not likely to reconsider the original decision.

BR suggested LV run a Park and Ride from the underused Beach Road carpark.

Julie Reid explained that from her daily commute, the current LV park and ride goes through the narrow railway bridge and causes congestion to which MI said without it the on road parking would be much worse.

BR also added that since the item of parking had appeared on the Agenda there has been a huge number of emails regarding this and where yellow lines should and should not be.

 

9 Accounts

BR said the balance on the accounts is still healthy at £30457.78 and members could take a copy of the details if they wished.

 

AOB

JS had brought to the Chairman’s attention that at the March Cabinet Meeting it was announced that Members were keen to ensure that work was started on the process of developing a commercial approach to the use of Council Assets as soon as possible.

At last weeks Cabinet meeting, we learnt that (a) the tender process had now been concluded and the Project will be moving forward with Deloitte as the council advisors and (b) Officers have produced an issue log- which enables specific actions agreed by the group to be progressed and reported back to the Regeneration Working Group.

The tender document included the “Poole Town Centre” and Sustaining Poole’s Seafront Supplementary Planning Documents. Are we permitted to know what Council-owned assets in Canford Cliffs Ward appear on the Council’s issue log.

JS explained that not all the Council properties are listed in the issue log. The question is what Assets in the Canford Cliff Ward are included.

MRH was concerned that items that had been ruled out for development in the SPD might come back in for consideration.

 

Terry Stewart (president) then briefed the members on The Draft Local Plan for Poole, put out for consultation. In this there has been an increase in the number of houses to be built, 11000 or 12000 houses and the whole conurbation would be 30000 houses which if you calculate is over 40000 cars in the borough. This seems over-development in an area bounded on the south and west by the sea and Bournemouth to the east, with protected heathland to the north.

So this will result in 12 story towers along the river. Higher density for many areas and encroaching onto Green Belt land such as at Canford Magna, and there is a campaign group to prevent this happening on green belt. TS thinks that 450 houses a year would be more realistic and not the 710 suggested by central government.

He went on to explain the problem of the brown field sites which developers find too uneconomic to build on so they lie derelict. He suggested the Developers have us “over a barrel” as there are over a million sites countrywide with planning permission but no developer will take them on.

We will circulate the details of the campaign to protect Poole’s green belt to those interested.

 

 

Meeting closed at 8.45, The next meeting will be on 12th October 2016

Neighbourhood Watch – Presentation On The Risks Of Cyber Attack – 20 July

NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH EVENT

 

You are invited to a FREE ‘Cybercrime’ event at the Sandbanks Hotel.

 The Dorset Police Cyber Security Team will give a presentation on the risks of cyber attack and give advice on how you can protect yourself from cyber criminals:

*  The threat of cyber attack is real

*  Be aware of the risks

*  Protect yourself and your electronic devices from cyber criminals

 

Date:          Monday 20th June

Time:         10am – 12noon

Venue:       Sandbanks Hotel, Banks Road

Poole    BH13 7PS

 

Be ‘Cyber Savvy’ – keep your personal data safe

 

Complimentary Tea & Coffee

Everyone welcome

Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association 57th Annual General Meeting

BRANKSOME PARK, CANFORD CLIFFS & DISTRICT RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION (Founded 1958)

 

57th ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

CANFORD CLIFFS VILLAGE HALL

SATURDAY 23rd  APRIL 2016 @ 10.30 a.m.

 

AGENDA.
1. Welcome John Sprackling
2. Apologies ditto
3. Approval of Minutes of AGM held on 25th April 2015 ditto
4. Chairman’s Report ditto
5. Treasurer’s Report Paul Fearnley
6. Appointment of Auditor John Sprackling
7. Election of Chairman (Bob Reid has been nominated) Terry Stewart
8. Election of Executive Chairman
President: Terry Stewart
Vice Chairman: (Roger Allen has been nominated)
Treasurer: Paul Fearnley
Membership Secretary: Michael Parkin
Planning Officer: Vacant
Secretary/Minutes Secretary: Carol Parkin
Magazine Editor: John Gunton
Magazine Advertising: Roger Allen

10.50am

 

  1. Guest Speakers: Cllrs Janet Walton & May Haines, Leader & Deputy Leader of Poole Council respectively will outline the ‘pros and cons’ of the potential South East Dorset Unitary merger in the context of the continued financial pressures.

 

11.30am

 

  1. Any other business 11.45am
  2. Refreshments

 

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 11th May 2016 @ 7.30pm – Committee Room (formerly The Lounge) rear of Branksome St Aldhelms Parish Centre (Access via Lindsay Road)