BPCCRA Minutes January 12th 2011





  • John Sprackling Chairman
  • Wayne Hancock Vice-Chairman
  • Keith Alcroft Planning Officer
  • Stan Alfert Data Protection Officer
  • Bob Young Magazine Advertising
  • Carol Parkin Secretary
  • Cllr Mrs May Haines Ward Councillor
  • Cllr Neil Sorton ditto
  • Ken Sanson Chairman, Sandbanks Assn
  • Approx 10 Members/Wardens


JS welcomed Cllrs Mrs Haines & Sorton, Ken Sanson and all those present.

Apologies: Apologies received from Terry Stewart, William Mutlow & Daphne Howell

Accuracy: JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting held on 08 DECEMBER 2010.

2. MATTERS ARISING Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported…

1.            Quayside (former Dolphin Quays) development – No new developments

2.            Poole Pottery factory buildings in Sopers Lane – ditto

3.            Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – ditto

4.            Quay Thistle Hotel site – ditto

5.            Old Orchard House. 39-61 High Street – ditto

6.            Land at West Quay Road (Mixed use regeneration and new public quayside to include; the demolition of a listed gate post and all existing buildings on site; the redevelopment of the site with 440 residential units provided in six apartment blocks with basement parking and courtyard) – No new developments

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update: JS reported…            

1 Cliff Drive (Addition of four additional windows where there was one large one before) – retrospective application lodged on 17/12/10.

15A Westminster Road – the railings have been removed and fence set back from the road side to permit planting in front of it.

Other current planning enforcement issues

17 Over Links Drive (Application to demolish existing and erect 2 detached houses granted on 31/01/08 but number of conditions should have been complied with before this development commenced) – No new developments.

19 Mornish Road (Tree replacement) – ditto

55 Canford Cliffs Road (Removal of the gates, railings, fence and hedge, and the erection of a low stone wall with planting behind) – ditto

2 Compton Avenue & 93 Lilliput Road (Boundary treatment)

24 Ravine Road (Overhang on right hand side of garage is 800mm but should be 200mm) – Retrospective application refused on 26/10/10. A revised application, for the whole development as it is being constructed with the over-hang, but requiring a detailed arboricultural impact assessment on the trees be included was requested on 29/12/10.

Land adj to 20A Chaddesley Glen (Land be reinstated) – No new developments.

Community Working Group (CWG): The next CWG meeting is on 26/01/11 – JS to attend.

Poole Beaches and Coastal Defences:           No New developments

Poole Partnership: Nothing to report.          

Chairman’s note: I will be attending the next State of the Area Debate (an annual meeting of the Council jointly organised with Poole Partnership) on 07/03/11 to “continue to build on the discussions”, following ‘A Partnership Response to the cuts in Poole’ meeting on the 24/11/10.

Public Rights of Way:

Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – No new developments.

Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road – ditto

Bessborough Road – ditto

Footpath 82 Spur – Sandbanks Boatyard & Marina Co. Ltd did not appeal against the Definitive Modification Order to add Footpath 82 Spur. Further developments are awaited.

Council Tax 2010/11 & Council’s Budget Monitoring report: JS said that he was unable to report on the Council Budget Monitoring (1 April 2010 – 31 November 2010), as this has not been included in the Agenda for next Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting.

Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to set up a small Sub-Committee to look at this.          

Canford Cliffs Play Area/Pinecliff Gardens (Sunken garden): JS said that, in the absence of comments, in relation to the Heads of Terms received from Poole Council Asset Management & Property Services Unit for the basis of the Licence for the Sunken Garden the Assn would reply confirming its agreement to this.

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) – JS is pursuing.

Poole Council’s Efficiency Review Programme: MH reported that a report on Efficiency Effectiveness Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 24/01/11. Review/Business Transformation Programmes is due to be presented to the Council Efficiency and Effectiveness Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 24/01/11.

Localism and Decentralisation Bill: The second reading of bill is due to take place next Monday 17th January. A report being presented at next Monday’s Standards Committee says that says it is anticipated that the Draft Localism Bill “will receive Royal Assent some time in the late Autumn of 2011” but in a note to            JS/TS Terry Stewart dated 04/01/11, Robert Syms said that “I cannot see why it should not get Royal assent in summer..I will ask Government whips when we get back next week”.


JS reported the application for Land at 8 Buccleuch Road (Creation of 1 No. new dwelling with 2 No. off road parking spaces) had been red-carded by Cllr Sorton, if the planning officer is not minded to refuse this.

There was a general discussion about the new BoP Planning Application website. Some members did not find the system ‘user friendly’. Some found it very slow in the evening. SA said that he accepted the necessity to log in to register representations but was concerned that insufficient time was allowed before those using the website were cut off as it had ‘timed out’.            JS said that Keith Pegram, Projects and Performance Manager, for Planning and Regeneration Services welcomed feedback from users of the site.

Other current planning issues

The Nightjar, 6 Ravine Road (Fit new set of french doors to west elevation, erect new boarded timber fence and install a new extract system on roof at the rear) – Application granted with conditions on 20/12/10.

7 Ventry Close (Erection of 1no. dwelling and rationalisation of garage accommodation to no 7 Ventry Close) – Application registered on 15/10/10. Revised site location plan lodged on 03/12/10. Cllr Sorton has red-carded this application, if the planning officer is not minded to refuse this.

8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application.            An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property. This property is up for sale at is ‘offers’ in excess of £2m.

60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.

5.            ACCOUNTS TO DATE – JS reported that the total funds as at 31st December amounted to £31,403.77.

6.            ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Parking meters on all roads on Sandbanks peninsula – Cllr May Haines told the meeting of the Council’s proposal to install parking meters on all the roads on the Sandbanks peninsula. She pointed out the Council feel they need to do this to generate some much needed income. However, people who live on the peninsular and people who need to use it regularly for parking (e.g. the National Trust volunteers at Brownsea Island) have a different view.. Cllr. Haines has put together a form for members at the meeting to comment on and sign – i.e. ‘for’ ‘against’ ‘neutral’.

The Council have estimated that the capital cost of installing these meters is £58,000 and hope to raise £54,000 on an annual basis. Cllr. Haines’ proposal to the council was that they increased the amount of an annual beach parking permit, which has been at the same amount, £65 per annum, for a number of years.

This matter will come up at the next Canford Cliffs & Penn Hill Area Committee meeting on January 26, at Branksome St. Aldhem’s, Parish Centre and is open to all.

Distribution of Minutes – JS informed the meeting that presently there is a distribution list of some eighty members who receive their minutes, etc, by ‘snail mail’ at a cost to the Association of between £80 and £100/month, and the feeling is whether this cost is justified. The first idea is that a note be put in the minutes, asking if those who wish to continue receiving them ‘opt-in’. This may reduce the numbers on the ‘snail mail ‘mailing list.

He then opened this up to discussion.            SA suggested that if this practice is continued people should re- register each year, ensuring the an accurate data base can be kept of members details and avoiding wasting postage. Cllr. Sorton suggested that if people ‘opt-in’ they should make a contribution towards the costs

It was pointed out that those members who receive the minutes by e mail are subsidizing those without. JS pointed out that the Association can afford to do this.            SA suggested that there could be a two-tier subscription – if you wish to receive the minutes by mail the subscription would be increased to £10.

There was a suggestion that the minutes be available in the library.

As this whole issue was rather complicated, JS suggested that it could be brought up at the AGM and a decision can be made then.

Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 9th February 2011 in the Main Hall at Branksome St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road)

3 thoughts on “BPCCRA Minutes January 12th 2011

  1. free parking on the peninsula has been for years i think cllr may haines should be voted off as the cllr knows if you park there you will be away for a few hours and someone out for a day it would be a hardship for a family let the people have free parking to go for a walk and keep fit

  2. I think it would be a good idea to put meters everywhere. I live opposite the harbour heights and its really lovely to see meters all down the road. We are enjoying the missing site of camper vans, caravans and any old vehicle which can sit there for days.
    Would be nice to see some extra cash coming in to help pick up the rubbish the holiday makers leave behind because they seem to love locating it in the bushes near the parking. This i tend to pick up, but some meters to pay for the council to collect this would be a good thing.

  3. I also add that it would be a good idea if all the locals within a set postcode could buy a local parking permit and up the pricing of the car parking for others. Its £1.50 per hour, i think put it up to £2 per hour which is still a good price for those coming down here to the beach for the day.
    We have to go into London and pay and arm and a leg to park, so why dont we charge down here? I was in Salisbury the other week and paid £1.50 per hour to go shopping…. I cant work out why the beach is so cheap…

Comments are closed.