BPCCRA Minutes November 10th 2010





  • John Sprackling Chairman
  • Wayne Hancock Vice-Chairman
  • Keith Alcroft Planning Officer
  • Stan Alfert Data Protection Officer
  • John Gunton Magazine Editor
  • Bob Young Magazine Advertising
  • Carol Parkin Secretary
  • Cllr Neil Sorton
  • Approx 15 Members/Wardens


JS welcomed Cllr Sorton and all those present.
Apologies: Apologies received from Cllr Mrs May Haines, Terry Stewart, Daphne Howell & Ken Sanson, Chairman, Sandbanks Assn.
JS said that he was sorry to report the death of Rowland Latimer, a former Chairman of the Assn from 1994 to 1998 and one time Planning Officer, who died in Poole Hospital last Saturday. Rowland’s funeral will be held on Friday 19th November at Bournemouth Crematorium at 2.00pm followed by refreshments at the Harbour Heights Hotel at 3.30pm. Donations to the British Heart Foundation via the Funeral Directors, Tappers
Accuracy: JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting held on 13 OCTOBER 2010.


Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported…

1.    Quayside (former Dolphin Quays) development – No new developments

2.    Poole Pottery factory buildings in Sopers Lane – Planning application for an 80 bed care home with associated facilities due to be determined by Planning Committee tomorrow. Officer’s recommendation is to Refuse.

3.    Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – No new developments

4.    Quay Thistle Hotel site – ditto

5.    Old Orchard House. 39-61 High Street – ditto

6.    Land at West Quay Road (Mixed use regeneration and new public quayside to include; the demolition of a listed gate post and all existing buildings on site; the redevelopment of the site with 440 residential units provided in six apartment blocks with basement parking and courtyard) – a special Planning Committee has been provisionally fixed for 16/12/10 but likely to be deferred until January 2011.

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:

JS reported…
1. 17 Over Links Drive (Application to demolish existing and erect 2 detached houses granted on 31/01/08 but number of conditions should have been complied with before this development commenced) – No new developments but ground work continuing.

19 Mornish Road (Tree replacement) – ditto

55 Canford Cliffs Road (Removal of the gates, railings, fence and hedge, and the erection of a low stone wall with planting behind) – ditto

15A Westminster Road (Erection of railings over 1 metre high partly along the frontage of 15a Westminster Road, being adjacent to a highway. The boundary treatment then changes to a double close boarded fence over 1 metre high which continues along the frontage of Westminster Road, being adjacent to a highway and then turns South-West and continues down the boundary with Dalkeith Road being also adjacent to a highway)– ditto

2 Compton Avenue & 93 Lilliput Road (Boundary treatment) – ditto

24 Ravine Road (Overhang on right hand side of garage is 800mm but should be 200mm) – Retrospective application refused on 26/10/10.

20A Chaddesley Glen (Land be reinstated) – An enforcement notice is likely to be issued this week. The notice will simply require the land be reinstated. The damage to the trees is under investigation, the LPA believes that an offence has occurred. However, for legal reasons, JS has not been provided with any further information at this stage.

2 Community Working Group (CWG): Roy Pointer reported on the Community Working Group (CWG)    RP meeting held earlier that afternoon. Topics included…
•    What is coming out in Local Government – Decentralisation and Localism Bill

•    Flood Risk Presentation

•    New Planning Application website

•    Overage clauses

•    Dorset Residential Parking Study

•    Simplifying Policy Documents

•    Update on Key Developments

•    Role of Councillors in Planning Process
It is thought unlikely that Minutes of the CWG meeting will be available before the Minutes of this meeting are circulated, so these will be circulated with the Minutes the Assn’s December meeting..
RP also reported on the Councillor’s ‘Tour of Inspection’ on 09/11/10, in which four members of the CWG joined Councillors and officers. This was a trial in which the Councillors joined the officers and members of CWG and visited developments that they had previously authorised, to take a learning point from these. Eg: How does it fit in? Does it achieve the objective? They visited the Wimborne Road new Police Station, Poole Quarter, Hamworthy Library, Parkstone Grammar School, The Fulcrum Commercial Park and Rossmore Library which has now been built as a Special Needs School.
RP reported that the Councillors thought that this had been a successful trial.
A question was then asked about the roles of Councillors in the planning process. There then followed discussion on this subject. Cllr. Sorton said that one has to be very wary of showing bias if one is on the Planning Committee.    He, himself, is not on the Planning Committee and can therefore show bias. The question was then asked ‘Is it OK for a Councillor who is on the Planning Committee to ‘red card’ an application?’ RP answered that it is OK, so long as the Councillor is very careful to show no bias. Here they must tread a very careful line.

Poole Beaches and Coastal Defences: RP said the only matter to report was the Flood Risk    RP programme mentioned under the previous item.

Council Tax 2010/11 & Council’s Budget Monitoring report: William Mutlow reported in the Council Budget Monitoring (1 April 2010 – 30 September 2010) report presented at the Cabinet meeting on 02/11/10.    At the moment there is a deficit of £545,000, which has been reduced from the £640,000 deficit last month. This year there is an enormous amount of pressure on the Council Officers to reduce the budget, and a good thing to emerge from this is that there is much improved reporting of what goes on now, largely thanks to Liz Wilkinson.    There have been no large changes yet.    There are still many unknown factors. For instance, the Government has earmarked £2billion for the NHS and Social Services, but will any of this come to Poole?
John Gunton asked about the pressure for Poole to join with Bournemouth. WM answered that this was still a possibility and Cllr Sorton added that he still does not know, but pointed out the difficulties in Poole and Bournemouth arriving at a common way of working when they currently have different practices, and working procedures, whilst there would, of course, be enormous savings in overheads etc.
SA stated that he had experience of merging two completely different organisations and if the will is there, problems can easily be overcome and it will work.

Poole Partnership: – JS reported that several members will be attending a workshop being organised by Poole Partnership on 24/11/10 in the Conference Room, Civic Centre as a follow-up to the consultative meeting in September to give those attending an opportunity to engage with partners in considering the impact of the Comprehensive Spending Review in Poole and help shape Poole’s partnership response to the cuts in public sector funding.
JS & Wayne Hancock will be attending ‘The Great Sharing Event’ on 26/11/10 to explore with Bournemouth and Poole College the value of using assets in different ways to serve the community, make efficiencies and share possibilities for future working

Public Rights of Way:
Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – No new developments.

Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road – ditto

Bessborough Road – ditto

Footpath 82 Spur – Sandbanks Boatyard & Marina Co. Ltd has until 25/11/10 to appeal against the Definitive Modification Order to add Footpath 82 Spur. NB Change of date.

Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to set up a small Sub-Committee to look at this.

Canford Cliffs Play Area/Pinecliff Gardens (Sunken garden): JS reported that a meeting was being set up to discuss terms of a licence for the Sunken Garden. Two dates had been suggested (1) between 3pm & 5pm on 17 Nov, or (2) between noon and 3pm on 23 Nov. It was decided to opt for 17 Nov. JS, Wayne Hancock & Daphne Howell will attend. SA suggested that maybe local residents would be able to donate plants for this garden. WH pointed out that consideration has to be given to the type of plants as they would need to be drought proof. He suggested talking to the Parkstone Gardeners’ Society to see whether they would like to offer their services. JS says to wait until we get a licence to run this garden, and then bear this in mind.

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) – JS is pursuing.

Poole Council’s Efficiency Review Programme: JS reported that the Business Transformation agenda has been taken in to the Efficiency Review Programme (ERP) and this is now under the Chief    JS Finance Officer & Head of Financial Services. The ERP will report to the Corporate Change Board which consists of the Senior Management Team, plus the appropriate Service Unit Head depending on the item under discussion. The suggestion will then go the appropriate Overview & Scrutiny Committee before implementation and progress will be monitored by the Cabinet through the Budget Monitoring process.
Roland Cunnell asks where does this fit in with the economic partnership and the answer was that it is nothing to do with this.

BPCCRA Autumn 2010 Magazine: JS thanked everyone involved with the preparation and distribution of this.
John Gunton said that Bob Young had done a tremendous job getting the adverts in.
JG went on to say that it is quite a large job to distribute the magazine and that he has asked for a quote for it to be done commercially. He expects this to be not less than £300. JG feels that we should keep this ‘in-house’, and suggests a ‘pyramid’ approach for the distribution to lessen the burden on one person. He would deliver to ten people, they in turn would deliver to ten people which would cover 100 deliveries. This would undoubtedly speed up the process and help people feel more involved. JS said that we could experiment with this system for the next issue of the magazine in March.
JG also reported that Poole Martime Trust, through its affiliate the Poole Harbour Heritage Project, has published a Book of Poole Harbour and has asked if the Association might promote this. JG said that he had brought along a few flyers and thought that this would make a good Christmas present.
No further action ‘pro tem’

Parking in Shore Road: NS reported that he would be presenting the petition to the next Transportation Advisory Group meeting on 25th November and making representations to the committee about this matter.


4 Lawrence Drive (Demolish existing buildings and erect 1 block of 8 apartments with assoc parking) – Appeal dismissed on 26/10/10.

1 Westminster Road East
(a) Demolish existing and erect a 3 storey single dwelling and garage with associated vehicular access
(b) Demolition of existing dwelling and garage. Erection of a 3-storey (part) single family dwelling, a garage and associated vehicular access and landscaping
Appeals dismissed on 04/11/10.

Land adj 1 Over Links Drive (Sever land and erect a new detached house (Revised Scheme) – Appeal dismissed on 22/10/10.
SA said that he had received a request from Laurence Pearce of 9 Lakeside Road to be present at the site visit on 12/11/10 at 13.10 re 7 Lakeside Road (Erect a three storey block of six x two bed flats and one three bed duplex with basement parking. (Revised scheme) (as amended by plans received 29.04.10) – Application refused by Planning Committee on 13/05/10 is subject of a ‘Written Representations’ appeal (APP/Q1255/A/10/2132800).. JS said that support from members by their presence would be appreciated.

Other current planning issues
11 Westminster Road (Demolition of the existing building and construction of three detached houses with associated parking and access. (revised scheme – Application refused on 17/05/10. Awaiting outcome of appeal Hearing (APP/Q1255/A/10/2129589) held on 12/10/10

24 Ravine Road (Demolish existing dwelling and erect replacement dwelling with integral garaging. (Revised scheme) Amended plans received 08/12/09 and 25/01/10) – Written Representations appeal (APP/Q1255/A/10/2122302) was dismissed on 16/09/10.

2 Crawshaw Road (Demolish existing dwelling and erect x 2 detached dwellings with on site parking. (Revised Scheme) – Application granted on 22/10/10.

6 Durrant Road (Demolish existing dwelling and erect x2 detached dwellings. (Revised Scheme) As amended by plans received 01/10/09) – Written Representations appeal (APP/Q1255/A/10/2121180) dismissed on 24/09/10.

Canford Cliffs, Promenade 2 (a) Construction of 18 new beach huts – Application No: 08/24380/005/F & (b) Conservation Area application to demolish 8 beach huts (nos 99-106) adjacent to Canford Cliffs Chine. Application No: 08/24380/007/U The applications were registered as long ago as 22/01/08 &13/02/08 respectively. Applications withdrawn on 25/10/10.

4-6 Compton Avenue (Non material amendment of planning permission 06/12687/005/F to extend basement parking, an additional staircase, two roof lights, convert half gable window to full height) – Application granted on.26/07/10

8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application.    An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property. This property is up for sale at is ‘offers’ in excess of £2m.

60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.

5.    ACCOUNTS TO DATE – JS reported that the total funds as at 30th October amounted to £32,265.32

The meeting closed at 8.30pm. Date of next Meeting: Wednesday 8h December 2010 in the Main Hall at Branksome St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road) NB To be concluded by Mulled Wine and Mince Pies.

The next Canford Cliffs & Penn Hill Area Committee Meeting which was due to be held on Wednesday 24th November has been cancelled.