Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association Minutes Aug 2016


Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association

Founded 1958


Minutes of monthly meeting held Wednesday 10 August 2016 at 7.30pm


PRESENT         Roger Allen (RA) – Vice-Chairman

John Gunton (JG)  – Magazine Editor

Cllr Mohan Iyengar (MI) – Canford Cliffs Ward Councillor


15 Members & Wardens


  1. Welcome and Apologies

Apologies: Cllr Mrs May Haines (Ward Councillor), Terry Stewart (President), Bob Reid (Chairman), Tracy Holmes (Planning Officer), Paul Fearnley (Treasurer), Mike Parkin (Membership Secretary) Carol Parkin (Secretary), David Reeves, Dawn Goodson, Zofia Allen & Martin Heath.


  1. Minutes of meeting 13 July 2016

Accepted as true record of last meeting, proposed by John Sprackling, seconded Chris Stracey and agreed by show of hands.


  1. Matters arising

Branksome Woods Tennis Courts –  Aaron Russell. Head Coach, is in negotiation with Council over new lease.


Cllr MI reassured members that the conversion of the clubhouse to a café is for club use only and not for public or evening opening. The proposed new floodlighting will use new technology lighting which can be focused on the tennis court area only and should not cause any light pollution.  MI said if it fails, it will be dealt with – there is no intention of causing problems.


Stan Alfert was still concerned that lights in evening would encourage evening use of café.


  1. On-street Parking Charges


RP reported that a Chairman’s Newsletter had been sent to all members updating the situation, particularly that the Cabinet had overturned the recommendation of the Place Overview & Scrutiny Committee and had asked Transportation to look at mitigation options, before the scheme was further considered as to whether it should go ahead.


The Association had asked a number of Freedom of Information (Fol) questions; answers had been unsatisfactory and were subject to internal review by the Council.


A Fol had also established that the Council had received no complaints about either congestion or lack of parking in the beaches area for the three years to 2015; this was considered a strong point against the scheme.


The consultation on the revision to the Poole Local Plan had shown Beach Road car park supporting 40 new dwellings; this runs counter to the need to maximise the existing car parking assets and was the subject of a further FOI..


RA reminded that charges from car parks only can go to Council General funds not on-street parking.


Stan Alfert made the point that Buccleuch Road is included in the plan but is never congested, whereas Tower Road West is congested from time to time but is not included in the plan. RA has suggested that the Association should enquire if anyone from the Council had walked the roads before the plan was drawn up.


Cllr MI explained the difficult financial position facing the Council and that it is required to produce a balanced Budget for 2017/18 or face being put into administration. If the road charging scheme was not to proceed then the Council would have to look at other means to raise revenue. He asked if ‘charging visitors’ might be more acceptable?  MI said that the Council would be remiss in its responsibilities, if it did not look into this.


RA then raised the issue of commuter parking in Ormonde Road which is just outside Zone K, the County Gates Residential Parking Scheme area. RA explained how the scheme operates and pointed out that commuter parking permits can also be purchased.


Neil Denning said that this had been an ongoing problem and residents would like the County Gates Residential Parking Scheme area to be extended to include Ormonde Road. He had been in contact with various officers & Councillors for some time and was not making any progress. He had last contacted Cllr Drew Mellor, the Portfolio Holder, but had not received a reply. Cllr MI said that a Borough-wide parking review is currently underway.


RP said that he did not wish to take on more work but thinks this should be dealt with as a separate issue.


  1. Communication with members

RA said that he proposed to incorporate this item with item 8 on the Agenda.


  1.  Planning issues

Tracy Holmes was unable to attend the meeting but had provided RA with a list of current ongoing planning applications, in which the Association is taking an interest.


15b Bury Rd: Hearing re Tree Appeal postponed A new date will be set by the Planning Inspectorate in due course. Chairman’s note: Appeal Hearing re-arranged for 14 September 2016

5-7 Chaddesley Glen: Letter of support on behalf of objectors registered by Association.  Cllr MI said that this application is likely to be determined at September Planning Committee meeting with a strong officer recommendation to ‘Refuse’.

33 Cliff Drive: ditto. Chairman’s note: To be determined at Planning Committee meeting on 25 August 2016 with officer’s recommendation to ‘Grant with conditions’.

14 Pinewood Road: No decision regarding HMO, or conversion to flats. An extension of time has been allowed to 10th August.

Burnage Court, 6 Martello Park: Application granted with conditions, reserved matters for landscaping. Chairman’s note: Reserved matters application ‘Granted with conditions’ on 02 August 2016.

4 Brackenhill: Grant, demolish existing house and garage and construct one detached house.’ Stan Alfert pointed out that earlier application for two houses was still subject to appeal.


Other Planning applications within the area covered by the Association


7A Spencer Road: Grant with conditions, replacement of front boundary and alterations to property.

25 Chaddesley Glen: Grant with conditions, formation of new window.

4 Mornish Road: Planning permission granted to demolish existing dwelling and erect a new dwelling with integrated garage.

20 Bury Road: Granted variation of code 13.

2 Western Ave: Grant with conditions, alterations to existing dwelling.

30 Chaddesley Glen: Grant, demolition of existing dwelling and construction of two new dwellings.

7 Flaghead Road: Grant, demolish existing buildings and erect one 4 bed roomed house and garage.

37A The Avenue: Grant with conditions, two storey extension to rear and alterations to roof.

17 & 20 Baillie Park, 7-9 Forest Road: Grant with conditions, single storey extension.

15 Eaton Road: Refuse, demolition of existing garage and retaining wall, erect new garage, garden room and sun deck.

2 Haig Ave: Grant with conditions, extensions and alterations.

6 Burton Road: Refuse, extensions and refurbishments.


  1. Beach sports event, Licence

This year’s planned Beach Football event planned for end-July 2016 at Canford Cliffs Chine was cancelled.


A Licensing Sub-Committee meeting was held on 26 July 2016 to determine an application for a premises licence, presumably, for a next year’s event (A 5 day event Thursday – Monday for plays, films, live music, recorded music, performances of dance or similar and supply of alcohol. Times 09:00 – midnight on Thurs, 09:00 – 01:00 Friday, and Saturday and 09:00 -23:00 Monday. Also late night refreshment 23:00 until close each day as above. The committee decided that the each day’s events should close at 11.00pm.Chairman’s note: The Minutes of this meeting have yet to be posted on the BoP website.


John Sprackling expressed concern that the report for the above meeting was shown as ‘Confidential’ on the BoP website and Cllr MI said he would investigate.


  1. Autumn Magazine and Facebook

RA said that, prompted by the issue of the Chairman’s Newsletter about the Association’s campaign against the Council’s continuing determination to introduce On-street parking charges on roads adjacent to beaches, consideration had been given to the issuing of a Newsletter from time to time to supplement the half-yearly publication of the ‘Pines & Chines’ magazine.


This was not proceeded with as it was felt that the Association’s Wardens are largely elderly and it did not seem a good idea to burden them with this additional role. Distribution by post was also discounted as the cost would be prohibitive.


RA said that Bob Reid had had some success in contacting members via the two ‘Pines & Chines’ Facebook pages.  The On-street parking Newsletter had been posted on the two Facebook pages for 10 days at a cost of £60 and had resulted in 1,400 hits, of which 104 had read the Newsletter.


It was agreed that e-mail communication best suited the Association’s present membership.


RA reported that, in consultation with JG, the Autumn 2016 edition of Pines & Chines’ magazine will in photographs in colour.  For example, Wayne Hancock will be allocated two pages to promote the work of his team at the Pinecliff Gardens Sunken Garden.


It was suggested that…


(a) The Membership application form should be separate from the magazine with an invitation to introduce a friend.  This would avoid the necessity of having to remove this from the magazine with the resultant loss of text/advertisements on the reverse side of the relevant pages.


(b) The Association should “connect” with major businesses in the area such as Tesco in Poole Road. Wayne Hancock to speak with the Tesco Community Officer with regard to placing an advertisement in the magazine in return for some editorial space.


(c) The Association should do more to attract the under 30s


The deadline for material for the next magazine is 09 September 2016, with a target distribution date of 31 October 2016.


  1. Accounts

RA said that a copy of the Association’s latest cash position for the period 01 January to 31 July 2016 was available for any member who wished to see this.


  1. A.O.B

Purchase of Projection Screen – Chris Stracey had been tasked at the last meeting with sourcing a suitable screen and put forward three alternative to members.  After some discussion, Roy Pointer proposed and seconded by Stan Alfert to opt for an 8’ x 6’ Da-Lite Picture King Tripod Screen @ £351.00 plus soft carry case @ £61 = £494.40 inc VAT.  Agreed by show of hands.


Chairman’s note. An original budget of £1,000 was agreed (BPCCRA £500, Canford Cliffs Land Society £250 and Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & Sandbanks Neighbourhood Watch £250).


Medium Term Financial Plan Update – William Mutlow reported on this report presented at the Cabinet meeting on 12 July 2016.


The Council has estimated additional resources for the three years 2017/18 to 2019/20 of £9.7m but cost pressures over the same period amount to £21.2m. resulting in a shortfall of £11.5m.  For the year 2017/18, the current budgeted shortfall is £3.4m. This assumes a 3.99% increase in Council Tax.



Tony Clayton – JG reported the sad news that Tony Clayton, a long standing member of the Association and had assisted JG with the editing of the magazine had died on 22 July 2016.  JG and his wife, Charlotte and John & Diana Sprackling had attended Tony’s funeral on 08 August 2016.  It was agreed to send a letter of condolences to Tony’s wife on behalf of the Association.


  1. Date of next meeting – Wednesday, 14 September 2016 Committee room (formerly known as The Lounge), rear of Branksome St Aldhelms Parish Centre (access via Lindsay Road)

Neighbourhood Watch – Presentation On The Risks Of Cyber Attack – 20 July



You are invited to a FREE ‘Cybercrime’ event at the Sandbanks Hotel.

 The Dorset Police Cyber Security Team will give a presentation on the risks of cyber attack and give advice on how you can protect yourself from cyber criminals:

*  The threat of cyber attack is real

*  Be aware of the risks

*  Protect yourself and your electronic devices from cyber criminals


Date:          Monday 20th June

Time:         10am – 12noon

Venue:       Sandbanks Hotel, Banks Road

Poole    BH13 7PS


Be ‘Cyber Savvy’ – keep your personal data safe


Complimentary Tea & Coffee

Everyone welcome

Lord & Lady Shaftesbury support Charity Dinner for Canopy Appeal!


Lord & Lady Shaftesbury support Charity Dinner for Canopy Appeal!

Press Release: 9th June 2016



Patrons of Victoria Education Centre for Disabled Young People, Lord & Lady Shaftesbury, attended an intimate charity dinner last week in aid of the school’s ’Canopy Appeal’.


Guests were invited to a delicious 3 course meal, supplied for free by catering company ‘Alice Bee at Home’, owned by Alice Ogeleye.

Alice’s son, Tobi, who attended the school, sadly passed away last year at the tender age of 12 and Alice & her husband Femi wanted to give something back to Victoria Education Centre.


“Our son Tobi who had cerebral palsy, passed away last November and we wanted to thank the school for the wonderful work and the incredible support they offered Tobi and our family”.

Alice continued, “Having recently set up a catering company, I wanted to offer a special evening of champagne & fine dining and in return guests were asked to donate towards their dining experience. Everyone was incredibly generous and the evening raised £2,500, which will go towards the school’s ‘Canopy Appeal’.”


Sue Stratis, Head of Support Services at the school, who was one of the guests at the dinner, explains, “Victoria Education Centre is a day and residential school in Poole, offering specialised, high quality care and therapy for young disabled people from 3-19 years old. All students have physical disabilities or complex medical conditions and many have additional needs including communication difficulties, learning difficulties and sensory impairments.”


Sue continues, “The ‘Canopy Appeal’ has been set up to raise funds for an 80m walkway between two buildings of the school, which desperately requires a covering, as disabled students are open daily to the elements as they cross between them. At a cost of approximately £90,000 the school has a way to go but thanks to the support of the guests at the charity dinner and Alice’s generosity, the school is one step closer to fulfilling this much needed facility.”


If you would like to get involved in fundraising or make a donation to Victoria Education Centre, please contact Sue Stratis on 01202 763697 or email   for further information.


If you wish to find out more information regarding Alice’s company ‘Alice Bee at Home’, please call her on 07889 742653 or send an email to



Notes for Editors

About Victoria Education Centre


Victoria Education Centre is a day and residential school in Poole, Dorset offering specialised, high quality care and therapy for young disabled people from 3-19 years old. All students have physical disabilities or complex medical conditions and many have additional needs including communication difficulties, learning difficulties and sensory impairments. In 2013 the school opened a new state of the art aqua therapy pool providing a full range of sensory equipment, lighting and film projections to stimulate children with profound needs.  Victoria Education Centre is part of the Livability family of community services.


Visit the Victoria Education Centre website:

Email: Telephone:
Sue Stratis on 01202 763697

Contact: Janet Miles, Head of Communications and Campaigns at Livability. Email: Tel: 020 7452 2084 | Mob. 07885 687 908


Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association 57th Annual General Meeting





SATURDAY 23rd  APRIL 2016 @ 10.30 a.m.


1. Welcome John Sprackling
2. Apologies ditto
3. Approval of Minutes of AGM held on 25th April 2015 ditto
4. Chairman’s Report ditto
5. Treasurer’s Report Paul Fearnley
6. Appointment of Auditor John Sprackling
7. Election of Chairman (Bob Reid has been nominated) Terry Stewart
8. Election of Executive Chairman
President: Terry Stewart
Vice Chairman: (Roger Allen has been nominated)
Treasurer: Paul Fearnley
Membership Secretary: Michael Parkin
Planning Officer: Vacant
Secretary/Minutes Secretary: Carol Parkin
Magazine Editor: John Gunton
Magazine Advertising: Roger Allen



  1. Guest Speakers: Cllrs Janet Walton & May Haines, Leader & Deputy Leader of Poole Council respectively will outline the ‘pros and cons’ of the potential South East Dorset Unitary merger in the context of the continued financial pressures.




  1. Any other business 11.45am
  2. Refreshments


Date of next meeting: Wednesday 11th May 2016 @ 7.30pm – Committee Room (formerly The Lounge) rear of Branksome St Aldhelms Parish Centre (Access via Lindsay Road)

Protected +70 Ft Monterey Pine Trees Bessborough, Bodley & Beaumont Roads


PROTECTED +70 ft MONTEREY PINE TREES Bessborough, Bodley & Beaumont Roads


I wanted to stop the felling of trees at 1 Beaumont Road through the High Court.   Since my action, six trees were killed by ring barking on Easter Monday and will be felled from tomorrow onwards.   I will continue to try to protect the remaining trees and seek replanting with like for like trees.

If you would like to support me, then please email:


Alex Roden 23 Bessborough Road


Summary of Events

  • Single dwelling at 1 Beaumont Road occupies a corner plot bordering Bodley, Bessborough and Beaumont Roads. Plot is unique as it has 22 trees on site and is surrounded by 18 mostly 70ft Monterey pines protected under TPO 1966.
  • Appeal made to Planning Inspector by property owners to fell three Monterey pines (middle of row of 9)

on 1 Beaumont Road bordering Bessborough Road was dismissed on 1 August 2011 due to the pines providing “high public amenity value to this residential part of Canford Cliffs” and removal “would leave a significant gap in the belt of pines and significantly reduce its landscape impact.”.

  • On 6 March 2015 landowners applied to Poole Council for demolition of existing single dwelling and

erection of three new dwellings.

  • Arboricultural Impact Assessment report by AJ Scott submitted on 24 March 2015 cites conflicting numbers of trees to be felled on different pages and schedules. Tree protection plan by AJ Scott submitted 24 March 2015 grades all 22 trees on 1 Beaumont Road to have life expectancy of less than

10 years.

  • Poole Council’s Russ Fisher on 1 May 2015 describes arboricultural report as “wholly inadequate”, “with glaring errors in both assessment and categorisation of trees”, “not fit for purpose, as defined by BS5837:2012 and should therefore be disregarded”.
  • Poole Council refuses planning 1 June 2015 for different reasons, the first reason being that it “would

be harmful to the immediate and future health of protected trees”.

  • Landowners appeal to Planning Inspector. On 11 February 2016 appeal is allowed and planning permission is granted subject to conditions, including “arboricultural method statement prepared by an arboricultural consultant …providing comprehensive details of construction works in relation to trees shall be submitted to, and approved in writing by, the Local Planning Authority, and implemented prior to the commencement of all demolition and development. All works shall be subsequently carried out in strict accordance with the approved details. In particular, the method statement must provide the following: ….9c a schedule of tree works conforming to BSe998:2010, Tree Work – Recommendations.” To date none of the conditions have been met.
  • Alex Roden commissions new tree report by Arboricultural Association approved Consultant. 17 March

2016 expert Mark Carter confirms criticism by Poole Council of tree report.

  • On 22 March 2016 Weightmans solicitors sends notice to landowners, developer Fortitudo, Poole

Council and Secretary of State that Alex Roden is challenging the Appeal decision in High Court.

  • On Good Friday morning, 25 March 2016, Richard Carr representing Fortitudo visited Alex Roden at her home three times confirming he did not need to fell the trees and he was “happy to enter into an agreement that in perpetuity we will not make application for any of the trees to be removed”, he requested Alex Roden to withdraw the judicial review.
  • On Easter Monday morning 28 March 2016 Richard Carr and two men with chain saws accessed 1

Beaumont Road and ringbarked 4 Monterey pines in a row including the 3 subject to the unsuccessful appeal in 2011, 1 Beech tree and a holly, without consent of landowners.

  • Police and Poole Council were notified that day.
  • Arboricultural expert has confirmed that the ringbarked trees will now die within 12-18 months’ time.
  • Weightmans 1 April 2015 writes to Poole Council informing that under “1990 Act and Regulation 13 of the 2012 Regulations it is an offence to wilfully damage a tree” “unless the work is necessary to implement a planning permission.”
  • Poole Council’s response 5 April 2016 was that “whilst the necessary pre-commencement conditions have not been complied with that does not prevent the felling of trees prior to the Commencement of Development.” “Whilst it is not accepted that ‘ring-barking’ was a necessary pre-requisite to the implementation of the planning permission given the authority in any event to fell these trees it would not be in the public interest to investigate that action when, in any event, the trees are to be felled.”
  • Weightmans on 6 April 2016 disagrees with Poole Council and its suggestion that “no offence has been

committed”, and “considers that the Council would be making an error of law if this is its interpretation

of the Regulation 14 exemption based on these facts”.

  • Awaiting decision from Judge whether case should go to full hearing of High Court Planning Court, decision expected early May 2016. Full hearing would be approx. six months later.

Proposal to extend On-street ‘Pay and Display’ parking to roads near the beaches – BPCCRA


Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association (Established 1958)


       Please reply to 23 Lindsay Road,

Branksome Park,

Poole BH13 6AN

Tel No. 01202 751553


25 February 2016

Dear Member

Proposal to extend On-street ‘Pay and Display’ parking to roads near the beaches

At its meeting on 10 February 2016, the Association discussed, at length, the Council’s proposed scheme to extend On-street parking on a ‘Pay and Display’ basis (P&D) to roads in areas close to the beach in Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & Sandbanks and those present were overwhelmingly opposed to these proposals.

We now seek your support to help show the Council that the plans are a bad idea for residents, visitors to Poole and its beaches, and the local economy.

We are asking you to take action to stop this plan:

  1. Write to the Corporate Research Team, FREEPOST RTKK-CCEE-CXUA, Borough of Poole, Civic Centre, Poole BH15 2RU (This is the Freepost address for returning questionnaires that can be obtained by calling 01202 634240) or email and head this ‘Extending on street parking scheme in beach areas’. Please state your objections in your own words, brief and to the point, to demonstrate your strength of feeling. A number of suggested reasons for objection are set out at the foot of this note.
  2. Complete the Council’s on-line Questionnaire to reinforce your objections

  1. Attend our Public Meeting on Saturday, 12 March at 10.30am in All Saints Branksome Park Church Hall. We hope that Julian McLaughlin, Head of Transportation Services will be present to present the Council’s case, together with our three Ward Councillors. There will be an opportunity to get your point across to the Council and ask the question you need answering.
  2. Visit one of the Council’s drop-in sessions shown below:
Location Date Time
Cattistock Room, Civic Centre Monday 29 February 1pm – 6.30pm
Haven Hotel Friday 11 March 1pm – 7pm
Hamworthy Library Wednesday 23 March 1pm – 6.30pm
Committee Suite, Civic Centre Tuesday 5 April 1pm – 6.30p

Some of the main reasons for our objections include:

  1. The Council bases its argument for the P&D scheme on the recently published Sustaining Poole’s Seafront Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) which has aspirations for increased year-round visitor numbers. The SPD has a 25 year time-frame whereas the Council intends to implement the scheme this summer. Car parking provision should be provided as required by need over this 25 year time-frame.
  2. The SPD says that ‘The Beach Road car park is an important high season car park but has plenty of spare capacity. Provision for new housing could be accommodated but retention of half the existing parking area, as public car parking, is needed. Loss of the remaining spaces will be mitigated elsewhere by making efficient use of existing car parks.’


We should be maximising the use of our existing car parks.

  1. There is clear under-utilisation of existing car parks that are poorly signposted and are not widely known by visitors, e.g Beach Road, Western Road and Branksome Dene Chine’. A first step should be better signage followed by a monitoring of the effect on car park utilisation.
  2. No evidence, such as from traffic surveys, has been presented to show where traffic congestion occurs and how the P&D scheme would prevent congestion.
  3. The only serious congestion noted in the SPD is that “on a sunny day in the school holidays, long queues can form, especially at Sandbanks”. Queues have apparently been exacerbated along Banks Road due to the removal of the car park ‘queuing lane’ and replacing it with a cycle lane.
  4. The confidential Strategic Car parking Review 2011 – 2013 did not show a need for more Beach car park capacity up to 2026 according to Council Committee minutes.
  5. The proposal would generate a ‘wave’ effect along the roads when drivers search for ‘free parking’ beyond the P&D zones creating unnecessary traffic movements.’
  6. Many residents who live in the targeted roads rely on on-street parking for their visitors. The problem of paying for visitor parking is likely to get worse since the Council is allowing flats to be built with inadequate on-site surface parking for visitors. (e.g. The 17 flats being built on the Norfolk Lodge site at 1 Flaghead Road have just 18 basement parking spaces and only one surface space which has to double as both a disabled space and a visitor space).’
  7. No economic analysis is available to explore the overall impact of changes in visitor numbers as car parking becomes a new ‘visit expense’


John Sprackling


Agenda for Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association – Feb 2016




7.30 pm.  
1. Apologies/Accuracy of Minutes (13 January 2016)  
2. Matters arising (Not covered under “Review”)  
Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel etc sites – update John Sprackling
Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update ditto
Community Working Group ditto
Council Budget Monitoring report (2015/16) & 2016/17 Budget William Mutlow
Public Rights of Way Richard Dimbleby etc
Pinecliff Gardens (Sunken garden) Wayne Hancock
Community Engagement Terry Stewart
Sustaining Poole’s Seafront (Formerly Seafront Beaches Master Plan DPD) ditto
Succession planning John Sprackling
Uniting the Conurbation (UTC) John Sprackling
Refreshing the Core Strategy and Review of Community Infrastructure Terry Stewart
Levy (CIL)  
Improving Association’s communications Michael Parkin
Leaning garden wall at (?)25 The Avenue Roy Pointer
Branksome Park & plot sizes Tracy Holmes
Projection equipment for Canford Cliffs Village Hall Roy Pointer
Proposal to introduce on-street charges on roads adjacent to beaches John Sprackling
8.00 pm.  
3. New Housing Development Keith Alcroft
4. Accounts to date John Sprackling
5. Date of next meeting John Sprackling


8.30 pm.

  1. Any other business

Any other business should be advised to the Chairman at the meeting. Items raised during the evening may be put on the Agenda for the following month.

Date of next meeting : Wednesday 10 March 2016 at 7.30pm – The Committee Room, Rear of Branksome St Aldhelms Parish Centre (Access via Lindsay Road

Dates for your diary:

24 Feb 16 Cancelled – Canford Cliffs and Penn Hill Area Committee

Neighbourhood Watch Newsletter of Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & Sandbanks for February 2016

Neighbourhood Watch Newsletter

Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & Sandbanks
Newsletter Editor - Pat Halliday tel. 01202 700911
Distribution Manager - Peter Waldron tel. 01202 708495

Watch Annual General Meeting – Saturday 13th February

Canford Cliffs Village Hall, Ravine Road BH3 7HT 10.30am – 12noon

All residents in our Watch area are invited to this popular FREE annual Neighbourhood Watch event.

The guest speaker will be the Police & Crime Commissioner for Dorset, Martyn Underhill. Our local Neighbourhood Policing Team will attend, but this is always subject to other priorities. You are invited to stay on afterwards to meet the speaker, talk with the Police officers about local safety and security matters and speak to active members of Neighbourhood Watch. This is an opportunity to meet like minded residents over a free glass of wine or soft drink & nibbles and speak to your Neighbourhood Watch Area Co-ordinators and other active Watch members.

Please arrive in good time to be seated and ready for a prompt start at 10.30am

Admission FREE— Everyone welcome

New Year message from Neighbourhood Watch

The mid-Winter festivities are over, and we have welcomed the New Year. The evenings are still long and dark and whilst it is cold and very damp outside this can be the time to check when the annual service is due for the house alarm, and when insurance policies are due for renewal. More importantly, you should also review insurance policies annually. Check that values are up to date. Remove any items sold or thrown away and add any new valuables whether

Christmas gifts or purchases over recent months. Record serial numbers and take photographs (with a ruler or tape measure in the frame) and attach to the receipt. Keep these in a safe, fireproof box or metal filing cabinet.

Dorset Fire & Rescue Service offer free home safety checks. They fit smoke alarms and give free home safety advice. See their website for eligibility and book your appointment online or phone 0800 038 2323 for details (free of charge on mobiles & landlines).

Throughout the year Dorset Police hold free bike tagging sessions at local venues. See the Dorset Police website for dates when this is available or contact our Neighbourhood Policing officers for details.

Wishing you a very safe and happy New Year.


Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT)

PS 1317 Ray Willmore

PC 2431 Sian Coombs, PC 2685 Aimee Garner

PCSO 5680 Linda Wilson, PCSO 6939 Chris Hardy

Follow them on TWITTER @SandbanksPolice

NPT Contact Details

Police non-emergency telephone number 101

E-mail: pp&

Dorset Police website

Danger to life or crime in progress 999

How to contact Dorset Police

If your call is an emergency, i.e. a threat to life, or if a crime is in progress, always call 999 – don’t tweet or send a Facebook update. PHONE!!

For all routine or non- emergency matters, send an email to: or call 101

Crime in our area

During December, there were no house burglaries in our Watch area, but thefts of high value bicycles stored in sheds and garages have increased across Poole. Thefts from motor vehicles have also in-creased. Leave nothing on display, remove all valu-ables and always lock the vehicle even if it is parked off the road in a garage or on the drive.

See full crime figures online at

Dorset Alert – community messaging

Register with ‘Dorset Alert’ to receive regular infor-mation and updates from Dorset Police on criminal activity in your area. For more information contact the Neighbourhood Policing Team (NPT) details above or log on to

Watch Information Centre

Meet a member of Neighbourhood Watch at the Canford Cliffs Library on the first Friday of every month 10.30am-12noon. Speak to them about any issues or concerns about local safety.

A Police officer always attends and you can ask for advice on home security.

There is a small stock of safety & security items.

Flashing armbands for pedestrians and cyclists are free of charge. They help you to be seen in dark morning and evenings. Also suitable for children and dog walkers wearing dark clothing.

Recently car a registration plate was stolen from a vehicle in Penn Hill. Car registration number plate security screw kits are available for £1.50 from the Information Centre.

Pick-up free Watch window stickers.

Click Here to Download the Newsletter


Minutes of Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association – Jan 2016



PRESENT:       John Sprackling (JS)                 Chairman


Keith Alcroft (KA)                      Planning Officer


10 Members/Wardens


JS welcomed those present.    
Apologies: Cllrs May Haines & Mohan Iyengar, John Gunton, Carol & Mike Parkin,    
Stan Alfert, Martin Heath & Tracy Holmes.    
Accuracy: JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of JS  
the meeting held on 09 DECEMBER 2015  
Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported.. JS  


  1. Quayside (former Dolphin Quays) development – No new developments
  2. Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – ditto
  3. Quay Thistle Hotel site – ditto
  4. Old Orchard House – ditto
  5. Land at West Quay Road ditto


Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:


Victoria Education Centre (Landscaping to the new entrance) No new developments

Martello Corner, Martello Road (also known as 83 Canford Cliffs Road) – (Change of use of residential garage to dentists surgery} – Appeal lodged 14/07/15. Site visit took place on 11 January 2016.


Community Working Group (CWG): The Minutes of the CWG meeting held on 25 WH    
November 2015 will be distributed with the Minutes of this meeting. The next      
meeting will be the AGM on 23 March 2016      
Council Budget Monitoring report (2015/16) – JS said that the Council Budget WM    
Monitoring report (1 April 2015 to 31 December 2015), Medium Term Financial Plan      
report and the report on the Council Tax for recommendation to Council is due to be      
presented at the next Cabinet meeting on 09 February 2016.      
William Mutlow expressed concern that the there was never any mention of the      
Council’s contribution to the Local Government Pension Scheme which currently runs      
at 13.6% of the Council’s payroll bill, whereas within the EU, the figure is 10%.      
Roy Pointer expressed the view that there must come a time when Local      
Government Pension Scheme will become unsustainable and employees will have to      
join a defined contribution scheme which now applies to most employees in the      
Private Sector.      
Public Rights of Way RD    
Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road – No new developments.    
Karol Gorny reported that he is in touch with Rights of Way officer about establishing      
another Right of Way within the area covered by the Association. He is currently      





Pinecliff Gardens (Sunken garden): No new developments.

Community Engagement: JS said he and other Residents’ Association WH  
representatives will be attending a Meeting with representatives from Residents’  
Association and Commerce and Industry on 15 January 2016 about next years      
The Minutes of last month’s ‘pilot’ Community Themed meeting will be distributed      
with the Minutes of this meeting.      
Sustaining Poole’s Seafront Supplementary Planning Document (SPD)      
(Formerly Seafront Beaches Master Plan SPD): The Sustaining Poole’s Seafront      
SPD was adopted by the Full Council its meeting on 15 December 2015..      
The final adopted version of the SPD has yet to be posted on the BoP website.      
JS said that the Cabinet Forward Plan shows that a report on the proposals for the      
Beach Road car park is due to be presented at the Cabinet meeting on 12 April      
Tony Beale said that he had visited the archive section of the Waterfront Museum but JS/TB  
had struggled to find any useful information about the dedication of the land for the      
Beach Road car park. JS said that he would provide names and contact details of      
persons who may be able to assist with his enquiries.      
Roy Pointer said that he would contact the Meyrick Estates which were very helpful      
when he was dealing with the Navitas Bay issue.      
RP was concerned about the lack of signage directing visitors to the Beach Road car      
park – the Association had raised this with the Council on many occasions in the      
Tony Beale added that this has been closed for public use since before Christmas      
and is, currently, closed.      
JS reported that he had met Mr Montgomery of Tanner & Tilley earlier in the week      
and was told that new plans have been drawn up for a much reduced version of the      
Sports Stadium at Sandbanks and these are likely to be submitted shortly.      
JS added that one of contacts wrote to him last week “I spent quite a long time      
studying the two versions of the SPD and it looked rather to me like the 2013 version      
would have meant Mr Mitchell had no chance of getting permission, whereas the      
2015 version gives him every chance of getting permission.”      
Succession planning: JS said that the Association’s Advertising Manager had been JS  
in touch earlier in the week to say that it was necessary for her to step down as,      
owing to domestic circumstances, she would, no longer, able to fulfil this role. Roger      
Allen, the former Association’s Advertising Manager, has kindly agreed to take her      
place, at least, for the next two editions. JS advised those present that some of the      
Executive were due to meet, informally, with Roger Allen the next day for a coffee at      
Compton Acres and JS would be raising the subject of his successor then.      
Chairman’s note. At the informal Executive meeting, it was suggested that in order to      
reduce the burden of the next Chairman, meetings should, in future, be held on a two      
monthly basis.      
Keith Alcroft, the Association’s Planning Officer, announced his wish to stand down at      
the Association’s AGM on 23 April 2016. So, the Association will be looking for      
nominations for the following officers at the forthcoming AGM      



Vice-Chairman – Roger Allen has indicated that he might be willing to take on this role

Planning Officer

Thecatalyst for my departure has been the comments from some quarters over my








handling of the 12A Western Ave application. It is to be hoped that those who have

had the most to say about this will now come forward to take over the Chairmanship    
and the role of Planning Officer.    
(UTC) – JS said that he received a note that day from John Probert, the Secretary of    
the UTC Steering Committee and he would include an extract from this in the    
Minutes (see below)    
JS said that at last month’s ‘pilot’ Community Themed meeting, he had suggested    
that the Councils should engage the services of an independent consultant to review    
the proposals and William Mutlow suggested that a suitable candidate might be Prof    
Gerry Stoker of Southampton University who spoke at the UTC AGM in April 2015    
Extract from note from John Probert, the Secretary of the UTC Steering Committee    
“…It now seems that Dr. Steph Lyons is preparing the case for an unelected    
combined authority (a.k.a. Combined Economic Development Authority) – albeit    
headed by an elected mayor* – for all of geographical Dorset, which is one of just    
three options for public consultation. * In a subsequent note John Probert says “An    
elected mayor and a combined authority are “negotiable” when negotiating for    
devolved powers.“    
However, I don’t understand why a unitary authority for the urban area of S E Dorset    
should not itself be responsible for Economic Development.    
Why add a new and costly layer of bureaucracy when one of the aims is to save    
costs and streamline the structure of our local government?    
If it is said that rural Dorset is not big enough to handle economic development    
matters on its own (implying of course that the urban authority will subsidise the rural    
area) the better way forward is surely to create a Combined Economic Development    
Authority for Dorset and Wiltshire. Why isn’t the Dorset Leaders’ Growth Board    
exploring such a fourth option for the forthcoming public consultation?”    
Refreshing the Core Strategy and review of Community Infrastructure Levy: TS
(CIL) – Roy Pointer asked if the Branksome Park Conservation Area Appraisal and    
Management Plan still carried any weight, particularly, in relation to the ¾ rule.    
JS said that Terry Stewart is in touch with Steve Dring, Planning Policy &    
Implementation Manager, to request that the ¾ rule is included in the revised Core    
Strategy. Nick Perrins is due to re-commence employment with Poole’s Planning &    
Regeneration Dept next month.    
William Mutlow asked if it might be possible to know the amount of Affordable    
Housing contributions currently held by the Council. He thought that this might be a    
significant sum accumulated over a number of years. JS said that, at the previous    
day’s Cabinet meeting, the Council had authorised a grant of £603,000 for the 100%    
Affordable Housing Scheme at Holes Bay Road.    
Improving Association’s communications – No new developments. MP
Leaning garden wall at (?)25 The Avenue – Cllr MH May says that “the leaning wall MH
in The Avenue should hopefully be addressed by now as officers were going out to    
visit before Christmas.” Roy Pointer will check.    
Branksome Park & plot size: As this involves an important point of principle, with TH
the consent of the Executive, Tracy Holmes engaged the services of Boyle &    
Summers Ltd, Architecture and Masterplanning Consultants of Southampton to act    
on her behalf and the Association in opposing the 12A Western Ave application and    
the Association has agreed to cover the firm’s bill totalling £2180.    
Projection equipment for Canford Cliffs Village Hall – RP is liaising with Martin ACTION


Since this is where the major talks are given they were less concerned about  
portability since we have the fall back option for local talks using other screens.  
Further advice is being sought on the best projector and PC for purchase by the  
Association. This equipment would be needed to be able to give good projection  
using the large screen in the village hall of course.  
JS reported that the application re Ormonde Nursing Home, 12 Pinewood Road KA
(Alterations, extensions and conversion of the building to six flats with associated  
parking and landscaping) was due to be determined at the Planning Committee  
meeting the following day – officer’s recommendation is to Grant.  
Chairman’s note: This was granted by the Committee with one Member voting  


Other current planning issues

4 Brackenhill (Demolish existing house and garage and construct 2 No. detached houses) – Application registered on 14 December 2015. Local concerns and Cllr MH is in touch with neighbours and reports that “it is in hand for the moment”.

Burnage Court, 6 Martello Park (Outline planning application for the demolition of the existing flatted building and the erection of a new apartment building containing 13 flats in total with associated access, cycle and bin stores) – Application validated on 28 September 2015. Letter of objection lodged on 20 October 2015.

Salterns Harbourside Hotel, 38 Salterns Way (Demolition of the existing buildings and the erection of 2 multi-storey mixed use developments containing 73 residential units, a 60 bedroom hotel as well as restaurants, offices and marina service facilities) – Controversial application.


  1. ACCOUNTS TO DATE – JS reported that the total Association funds as at 31 December 2015 amounted to £31,362.51. Paul Fearnley plans to get the accounts off to Schofield’s shortly.


Proposal to introduce on-street charges on roads adjacent to beaches – Cllr MH JS
asked JS to mention that a proposal to introduce on-street charges on roads adjacent  
to beaches is going to the Transportation Advisory Group meeting next Thursday  
(12/01/16). The committee are asked to recommend going out to consultation on this.  
This will cover roads in Sandbanks and Canford Cliffs village.  
Chairman’s note: This proposal was well aired land rejected less the two years ago  
at the Call-in Overview & Scrutiny Committee on 27 February 2014 -Minutes  
available via  
Embankment fall at Branksome Dene Chine – Ray Wylde asked about this and JS No
said that he would include an extract from a note received from the Council on this further
subject. action


“The work has been agreed and formally licensed to be carried out in accordance with our design approval. The cost of the project is all at the property owners expense apart from some of my time as a supervising engineer. Interestingly the sandy gravel fill material is coming straight from major excavation works at Christchurch hospital. It is ideal for use on this site as it is naturally well graded for compaction and has good drainage properties.


At present the slope is initially being filled to provide a high level work platform to enable the stabilisation and reinstatement of the owners garden behind the piled wall

Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & District Residents’ Association Agenda for January 2016



WEDNESDAY 13 JANUARY 2016 @ 7.30 pm



1.Apologies/Accuracy of Minutes (11 November 2015)

2.Matters arising (Not covered under “Review”)

Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel etc sites – update

John Sprackling

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update


Community Working Group


Council Budget Monitoring report (2015/16) & 2016/17 Budget

William Mutlow

Public Rights of Way

Richard Dimbleby etc

Pinecliff Gardens (Sunken garden)

Wayne Hancock

Community Engagement

Terry Stewart

Sustaining Poole’s Seafront (Formerly Seafront Beaches Master Plan DPD)


Succession planning

John Sprackling

Uniting the Conurbation (UTC)

John Sprackling

Refreshing the Core Strategy and Review of Community Infrastructure

Terry Stewart

Levy (CIL)

Improving Association’s communications

Michael Parkin

Leaning garden wall at (?)25 The Avenue

Cllr May Haines

Branksome Park & plot sizes

Tracy Holmes

Projection equipment for Canford Cliffs Village Hall

Roy Pointer

8.00 pm.


New Housing Development

Keith Alcroft


Accounts to date

John Sprackling


Date of next meeting

John Sprackling

8.30 pm.

6. Any other business

Any other business should be advised to the Chairman at the meeting. Items raised during the evening may be put on the Agenda for the following month.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 10 February 2016 at 7.30pm – The Committee Room, Rear of Branksome St Aldhelms Parish Centre (Access via Lindsay Road

Dates for your diary:

24 Feb 16 Canford Cliffs and Penn Hill Area Committee Venue – TBC