THEFT OF MAIL FROM EXTERNAL MAIL BOXES
Following a number of recent thefts from external mail boxes situated on the garden wails of large houses in the Dorset area, Police are asking residents to be extra careful and to be aware of “id theft”.
Officers from the Economic Crime Unit want to make residents aware that theft from mail boxes, to offenders opening up credit card accounts and taking out loans in your name, which you will r about until you are refused a credit card or you start receiving letters from solicitors or debt coilectors, debts that aren’t yours.
To lower your chances of becoming a victim, please consider taking the following action:
- Stop using your external mail box. if you can not do this then ensure it is secure i.e. mail cannot be retrieved from the slot with a hand or instrument.
- Promptly remove mail. If a piece of mail does not arrive or you stop receiving mail, chase up with the sender or contact the post office.
- If you go on holiday, get a neighbour or fnend to remove the mail and keep it safely for your return
- Regularly check your personal credit file (this costs as little as £2) from a credit reference agency (Experian, Equifax, CallCredit) to see if it includes any entries you do not recognise follow up any recent accounts you do not recognise.
- www.callcredit.plc.uk telephone 0870 060 1414
- www.equifax.co.uk telephone 0870 010 0583
- www.experian.co.uk telephone 0870 241 6212
- Register with CIFAS protective registration www.cifas.org.uk. When an application is made to open an account, the financial institution will check your credit rating with one of the age mentioned above. They will then undertake additional verification checks to ensure the application is genuine. You will have to pay for this service.
If you would like any more information then please contact me on the above number or contact) local Safer Neighbourhood Team Officer on 01202 22 22 22.
Crime Reduction Advisor
Bournemouth and Poole Division