BPCCRA Minutes July 8th 2009


HELD ON 8TH JULY 2009 at 7.30pm



Chair : Terry Stewart  President
John Defty      Treasurer
Keith Alcroft     Planning Officer
Stan Alfert        Data Protection Officer
Bob Young       Magazine Advertising
Val Short          Minutes Secretary

Cllr Mrs May Haines   Ward Councillor
Cllr Neil Sorton                   ditto

12 Members/Wardens

Welcomes: TS welcomed all those present, especially any present for the first time.

The meeting commenced with a unanimous vote of well wishes for John Sprackling.


Apologies: John Sprackling (Still recovering from recent op),  Michael Bond

Accuracy: KA has contacted JS about a correction needed on Page 3 in relation to the item on Canford Cliffs Chine.  This should be amended to read that the “leaves and detritus has washed onto the beach and is LYING in the trench formed by the digger, when clearing the sand from the base of the promenade wall.”

William Mutlow made a point about the expectation of an increase in council tax of 5½%. He said there should not be an automatic annual 5% increase.

TS said that, subject to this amendment, he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of the meetings held on 10 June 2009.


Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: TS reported that…

1.    Quayside (former) Dolphin Quays development –  No further developments
TS pointed out that there were retail units unlet after 3 years, which questioned plans for the Thistle site
2.    Poole Pottery factory buildings in Sopers Lane – ditto
3.    Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – ditto
4.    Quay Thistle Hotel site – Application to demolish existing hotel and erect a mixed use development comprising of: a 149 bed hotel with 10 flats above; 133 flats in four blocks; a terrace of 11 houses; ground floor commercial and community space and a 273 space basement car park was lodged on 10/06/09.
TS circulated a picture of the proposed hotel development and asked for members’ opinions.  Comments included “Not dynamic”; “Legoland” and “Out of keeping with area”.  It was agreed that KA register a formal objection on behalf of Assn.  WM stressed the importance of protecting access to the Quay for Poole residents.  The disabled parking and drop-off point will remain as it is now. TS stated concerns that the roofline was hard and square, and that the architectural design did not meet Conservation Area requirements or complement the Dolphin Quays next door or the Ballard Street residential area.
5.    Old Orchard House. 39-61. High Street – No further developments

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:

75 Canford Cliffs Road – An application for a second entrance was lodged 03/06/09 but the  Urban Design & Conservation Officer says that she does “not support a second access at this site”.

The appeal against the Enforcement Notice re the formation of the second entrance was dismissed and the inspector instructed the owner to remove the existing fence and re-instate the boundary wall at the newly created entrance with a compliance time of 3 months from the date of the notice namely 15th August. The Planning Enforcement Officer has informed JS that the date is already in his diary to carry out a monitoring visit. He goes on to say “Rest assured the matter is still being monitored.”
150 Canford Cliffs Road – This site has been cleared, cleaned and secured using the Council’s default powers under s215(9) The anticipated legal charge will be in the region of £3-5k.
51 Chaddesley Glen – Concern about the height of this newly built property in Chaddesley Glen. MH reported that the height was not excessive.
Bella Rosa, 37 Haven Road – Retrospective application to erect glass screens to front and side of decking at front of property was refused on 03/07/09.  Presumably Planning Enforcement will pursue?

Progress re Sir Michael Pitt’s recommendations following independent report into the control of development at the Borough of Poole:

Sir Michael Pitt’s recommendations were due to be monitored by the Council Efficiency and Effectiveness Overview and Scrutiny Committee but this item did not appear on the Agenda for the last meeting on 02/07/09 nor was it included in the Forward Plan.

TS pointed out that Sir Michael’s recommendation (3) stated that Cabinet members should not be members of the Planning Committee – or even substitutes.  But 2 Cabinet members had been nominated as substitutes. MH explained that insufficient people were coming forward to be substitutes on Planning Committee as this required special training.  However, she had completed training and would be available as a substitute. Cllr. Carole Deas was also trained.  Sir Michael’s recommendation (5) stated that, if a decision was not unanimous then “a record should be kept of Councillors abstaining and voting for and against the motion.”  However, the Planning Committee had agreed to only record if there was a vote of the Committee. Sir Michael’s recommendation (6) had asked for a “comprehensive review” of controlling development. Stephen Thorne had started a Review using the Community Working Group and an equivalent committee of developers. He is also calling in an outside IDEA Group to do a full audit of Poole’s Planning process. Chairman’s note: Meeting fixed for 16/07/09.
Community Working Group Meeting at Upton House

Roy Pointer reported on the Community Working Group meeting held this afternoon.  The group comprises 8 representatives of 40 groups of residents.  Stephen Thorne was asked how he would get feedback from residents’ associations and it was agreed that agendas and minutes would be put on the website along with contact details.
The meeting was mainly a presentation on the new Core Strategy and Stephen Thorne would welcome an invitation for him or his Manager to attend an Assn. meeting.  Subsequently it was agreed that the September 10 meeting was best.
The Planning Committee will vote using a card system, red for refuse, green for grant, and orange for abstain.  All members will vote by holding up a card at the same time, and the chairman will only vote in the event of a tie, and will generally vote in line with planning recommendations.
Third party appeals – developers can appeal, residents and the community can’t, too many individual appeals could get out of hand, so not good.  Ombudsman can judge.  Judicial review not to be entered into lightly. CPRE has been pressing for a change in national law.
Consistency of planning decisions :It would be helpful if members could report any cases known where different decisions were made in similar applications in the same area.
Pre-application consultation: Developers will be asked to convene a public meeting – hopefully this will happen.
Pre-application advice, which is paid for, is confidential, but will be published on the Planning Application website once an application is submitted.
External Audit of Poole’s Planning: Committee of 6 persons to judge what should be the council’s ‘best practice’.  To be reported by end August.
Absence of levels on plans:  Rules often complied with in spite of absence on plans.  New website will automatically include levels.
Car parking on development sites around Town Bridge could create a problem once development has taken place.
Long periods of inactivity on applications will be improved.  Stephen Thorne is keen to liaise with individuals and associations.
Poole Beaches and Coastal Defences:  No further developments.

Council Tax 2009/10 & Council’s Budget Monitoring report: Following the Assn’s last meeting, JS contacted the Liz Wilkinson, Head of Financial Services and she accepted that the Council’s Budget
Monitoring – Financial Outturn Report for the period 1 April 2008 – 31 March 2009 was not clear as it could be for the ‘lay reader’ and, JS suspects, to some Members too.  The monitoring is intended to concentrate on the ‘real’ variances to the budgeted position rather than non-impacting book entries. Ms Wilkinson said that she is looking into how this can be better explained and reported in future years, if the Council retain this general approach to speeding up its year end closedown and reporting work.

Ms Wilkinson also hopes to better cross reference between different lines of entry across different accounting periods to help the reader make better sense of what is set out in future reports of this kind.

Ms Wilkinson has invited representatives of the Assn to meet with Mandy May to go through any of this in more detail or any other matter relating to the accounts if we would find that of assistance.

William Mutlow said that the latest Budget Monitoring report (1 April 2009 – 31 May 2009) shows major changes in the Council Budget, including one of £3.6million.

Poole Partnership: JS was unable to attend the Steering Group meeting on 24/06/09 as he’d only  been home from hospital a couple of days before.

One item on the Agenda was a presentation on the Audit Commission’s findings so far for Poole’s Comprehensive Area Assessment which can be viewed via <http://poole.poolepartnership.org.uk/CAA>. JS would encourage all members to take a look at this.

By way of background, the new system of Comprehensive Area Assessment introduced from April 2009 requires Local Authorities and other public agencies to account collectively for how well they are doing. An area risk assessment into the prospects for the area and the quality of life for local people forms a key part of the comprehensive area assessment.

In his capacity as Poole Partnership Steering Group representative for Residents’ & Tenants’ Assns and Community Groups, JS has been invited to attend a meeting of the Sustainable Communities Panel to be held on 13/07/09.  Other members of the Panel will be Cllr Gregory, Chris Beale – Director Poole Council for Voluntary Service and Adnan Choudry – Dorset Race Equality Council. TS stated that the Panel was meant to represent the whole community, so 3 Panel members were not enough. Was the Race Equality being politically correct since ethnic minorities were so low in Poole?

Lindsay Road to Station Road Corridor/Pedestrian refuge at junction of Penn Hill Ave and Spur Hill Ave: At the Assn’s last meeting a Ventry Close resident asked if anything could be done about the traffic noise along Lindsay Road.  JS contacted Transportation Services and has received the following reply.

“While I can fully appreciate the concerns of local residents here unfortunately the situation remains unchanged in that based on the factors we have to take into account when prioritising roads for inclusion in the surfacing programme, Lindsay Road is still some way down the list. I know you would have heard this before but with extremely limited funds available for maintenance we have to target roads which are failing structurally, and while it is clear that the shape and surface texture of Lindsay Road does leave a lot to be desired, unfortunately these factors simply cannot be addressed at this time.
And while I wouldn’t dispute that there is likely to more traffic now on Lindsay Road ( which is a classified road and therefore forms part of the highway network designed for through traffic), this is also true of many roads in the borough. However again this wouldn’t change the prioritisation in respect of road resurfacing – structural condition is the main factor.

Sorry I can’t bring any more positive news”

Canford Cliffs Village & proposal to plant trees in Haven Road: Keith Alcroft reported that a meeting was held on 11th June with Warren Leaver. MH reported that a scheme with “build-outs” will be proposed that will look at the whole parade of shops.

Public Rights of Way:

Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – No further developments
Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road –  ditto
Bessborough Road – ditto

Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to set up a small Sub-Committee to look at this
Canford Cliffs Chine: No further developments

Canford Cliffs Play Area: ditto

Use of Assn’s Capital Reserve: ditto

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) –  JS is pursuing.


KA reported…

7A Bury Road (Demolish existing and erect replacement two storey dwelling with basement (Revised
Scheme)  Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 05/07/09.  NS commented that there was a definite loss of privacy for the owners of 18 Western Avenue.

Other current planning issues

11 Westminster Road (Demolish existing dwelling & erect a block of 5 2-bed apartments with basement parking & bin store) – Application registered on 29/05/09.  Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 09/06/09 and application has been ‘Red-carded’.
31A Western Avenue Demolish existing and erect replacement two storey dwelling with basement (Revised scheme –  Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 19/05/09. Subject to Appeal Hearing (APP/Q1255/A/09/2101686) on 18/08/09 at 10.00am.
11 Leicester Road
(a) Outline application to erect a 59 bedroom care home (class C2) with associated parking (15 spaces), bin & cycle store (revised scheme) – Application registered on 29/05/09.  Letter of
objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 15/06/09.  Application is to be ‘Red-carded’, if Planning Officer is minded to recommend ‘Grant’.
(b) Conservation Area application to demolish existing dwelling & associated buildings (revised scheme) – Application registered on 19/05/09. Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 29/05/09.
7 Ventry Close (Erect a link-detached 3-bedroom dwelling (revised scheme) – Subject to ‘Written representation’ appeal (APP/Q1255/A/09/2102722) The date for final comments
from the appellants and LPA is 29/06/09.  The date of the site visit has yet to be announced.
Land adj 1 Over Links Drive (Sever land and erect a new detached house (Revised Scheme) – Letter of objection registered on behalf of Assn on 03/04/09 and application has been ‘Red-carded’.
14 Nairn Road
(a) Demolish existing bungalow and erect a four storey 5 bed house. (Revised Scheme) – Subject to Appeal Hearing (APP/Q1255/A/09/2100972) on 30/06/09.
(b) Demolish existing bungalow and erect a four storey five bed house. (Revised Scheme) Amended plans received 15th June 2009  – Application registered on 15/05/09 and has been ‘red-carded’.
Victoria School, 12 Lindsay Road (Extension to existing classrooms and loft conversion to offices) – Application registered on 22/05/09.
2 Tower Road (Conservation area application to demolish existing dwelling & erect 3 detached dwellings with associated parking) Application registered 17/12/08.  Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 23/01/09 and application is to be ‘Red-carded, if Planning Officer is minded to recommend ‘Grant’.
3 Tower Road (1 x 3 bed detached dwelling) – Application registered on 19/05/09. A note dated 27/05/09 from the Urban design and Conservation Officer recommends refusal.
Land adj. 2 Mornish Road (Conservation area application to erect a 5-bed detached house with integral garage, access from Mornish Road (Revised scheme) – Awaiting Inspector’s decision following Appeal Hearing (APP/Q1255/A/09/2098623) today.
Canford Cliffs, Promenade 2  (a) Construction of 18 new beach huts) – Application No: 08/24380/005/F & (b) Conservation Area application to demolish 8 beach huts (nos 99-106) adjacent to Canford Cliffs Chine. Application No: 08/24380/007/U The applications were registered as long ago as 22/01/08 &13/02/08 respectively.  MH will keep the Assn advised of any further developments.
19 Sandbourne Road (Demolish existing and erect 5 apartments over 3 storeys with basement parking and associated cycle and bin store) – Arboricultural officer comments lodged on 02/06/09.
20 Balcombe Road (Demolish existing and erect 3 detached houses (Revised Scheme) – Application refused on 27/05/09) – Meeting Note dated 02/06/09 states “the client was going to take the recently refused 3-house scheme to appeal. The client would also be requesting that the appeal be heard by way of a public inquiry.”
12 St Clair Road (Construct 2 detached dwellings with associated parking. (Revised Scheme) – Application registered on 08/05/09.  Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 09/06/09 and
application has been ‘Red-carded’
107 Lilliput Road (Erection of 12 flats with basement parking, cycle and bin storage.(Revised Scheme) (as amended by plans received 26.06.09) The S106 contributions and admin fees were settled on 22/05/09.
It is claimed that an affordable housing contribution is not applicable on this site as the building was predominantly built according to the current approval, and it is therefore deemed that it would be unfair and unreasonable for the LPA to request that the new affordable housing threshold is applied in this instance. JS has queried this.
4-6 Compton Avenue (Demolish existing and erect 2 blocks of flats (10 in total) with basement parking, bin and cycle stores. (Revised Scheme Block A). Revised plans received 05.02.2008)  – Application was registered as long ago as 18/12/07. Most recent posting on BoP planning Application website is a letter from the Agents dated 19/08/08 referring to the outstanding signed Section 106 Agreement which was due to be “issued to Poole Borough Council shortly.”  The flats have been largely constructed but it appears that no further work has been carried out on this site since the demise of Ravine Lifestyle.  The first six monthly progress report to creditors dated 20/02/09 indicates that, at that date, this site, along with the freehold properties, 57 Haven Road, 101 Lilliput Road has still to be sold.
2 Compton Avenue & 93 Lilliput Road (Erect a block of 6 flats and a block of 5 flats with associated parking. Access from Lilliput Road (Revised Scheme) as amended plans received 06.04.06) – a number of breaches of Planning Conditions in relation to Application No: 06/11668/007/F have been highlighted by the LPA.
8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application.   An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property.
60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners
requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.

4.    ACCOUNTS TO DATE – JD reported that funds at the end of June amounted to £34,263.


English Heritage – has severe concerns at conservation areas under threat and have asked for comments.  Let  JS know of any concerns.  Dorset has one of the largest number of conservation areas in the country.  NS commented that it is a Govt. requirement that conservation areas be reviewed on a regular basis.

Travellers Sites – Each council has to specify permanent and transit sites for travellers.  Poole have funding to upgrade the permanent site at Mannings Heath, but have yet to decide where to locate a transit site.  Merley Lane was withdrawn due to many resident objections and Beach Road Car Park was not included in a list of potential sites. TS is pressing for the final shortlist to be published for Consultation.

Rhododendrons in The Avenue – There have been a series of complaints about cutting down the rhododendrons along The Avenue.  The Council say it was necessary to improve visibility for car drivers and safety for pedestrians, but the contractors have virtually destroyed the rhododendrons by cutting them so low.

Recently erected Bollards at Ravine Road end of service road behind row of shops in Haven Road between Ravine Road and Maxwell Road – The owners of the businesses want to know why these bollards have been erected. This cut through has been there for 25 years.  There have been no letters and no consultation.  Michael Bond is investigating. These bollards are on private land, there is a notice to this effect stating that a permit is needed to park and a penalty of £150 if towed away. The owners of shops are not happy and MH will raise this at the Traders Meeting. NS reported that the bollards had been erected on private land and were probably legal. Entry will have to be from the other end.

Garden at Church of the Transfiguration – A member reported that following the removal of some trees at the Church of the Transfiguration, to which the Assn. contributed, plants and wildlife, including bats, are flourishing.

Redevelopment of 19 Torbay Road – There is to be a Pre-application meeting with residents.  Rose Rogers and Alice will attend and report back.  Chairman’s note: The meeting with the Agents, Urban DNA and the architect Nick Hebden is to take place on the site at 8:00 pm on Wednesday 15th July 2009.

TS closed the meeting at 8.42pm.

Date of next Meeting:  The next meeting is Wednesday 12th August 2009  in the Main Hall at Branksome St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road)