BPCCRA Minutes June 8th 2009


HELD ON 8TH JUNE 2009 at 7.30pm



Terry Stewart President

John Sprackling Chairman

John Defty Treasurer

Keith Alcroft Planning Officer

Stan Alfert Data Protection Officer

Bob Young Magazine Advertising

Cllr Mrs May Haines Ward Councillor

Ken Sanson, Chairman, Sandbanks Assn

22 Members/Wardens

Welcomes: JS welcomed all those present, especially any present for the first time. JS also welcomed Karen Corbett who had kindly agreed to take notes of the meeting.


Apologies: Cllr Neil Sorton, Michael Bond, John Gunton, Val Short (Minutes Secretary), Richard Dimbleby, John Fox. Brian Hambleton & Roy Pointer.

Accuracy: JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting held on 08 April 2009.


Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported that…

1. Quayside (former) Dolphin Quays development – No further developments

2. Poole Pottery factory buildings in Sopers Lane – ditto

3. Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – ditto

4. Quay Thistle Hotel site – The applicants are intending to submit an application shortly and it is hoped that this “will take on board comments made in response to the Public Consultation exercise.”

5. Old Orchard House. 39-61. High Street – No further developments

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:

Fitzmor Homes Ltd (Vol. liquidation creditors) sites – The advertisement board at 7 Balcombe Road and oversize ‘For Sale’ board at 18 Balcombe Road have been removed.

75 Canford Cliffs Road – The appeal against the Enforcement Notice re the formation of the second entrance was dismissed on 15/05/09 and the owner has been instructed to remove the existing fence and re-instate the boundary wall at the newly created entrance within 3 months.

138 Canford Cliffs Road – The Notices have been displayed in the immediate area reporting wilful damage to a tree on 09/05/09 but, to date, these have not resulted in anyone coming forward with information.

150 Canford Cliffs Road – The Section 215 Notice was served on 15/05/09 with a compliance date of 16/06/09, so the Council cannot do anything further until after this date.

Progress re Sir Michael Pitt’s recommendation: At the Full Council meeting on 12/05/09, Cllr Mrs Stribley stood down as Deputy Leader of the Council – to be replaced by Cllr Collier. I think that Cllr Mrs Stribley also stood down as Conservative Group Leader.

Cllr Mrs Stribley remains Chairman of the Planning Committee for the coming Municipal Year and the number of Committee Members has been increased from the current eight to nine.

No decision has been made regarding Sir Michael Pitt’s recommendation that “a record should be kept of Councillors abstaining and voting for and against the motion. It seems that this recommendation is meeting resistance in some quarters and before reaching a

decision, the Head of Planning & Regeneration is carrying out research into the practice of other Councils in this respect.

Residents Working Group meeting (13/05/09) – JS said that Roy Pointer had reported that 10 individuals had attended the meeting representing 10 Residents’ Assns spread throughout the Borough and most of the time was spent exploring its role.

JS said that he will circulate Minutes of meeting with the Minutes of this meeting.

A similar meeting is planned for developers.

The next meeting is scheduled for 8 July at 2pm. Chairman’s note: Roy Pointer has subsequently contacted me to say that he is now available to attend this meeting as the Assn’s representative.

Poole Beaches and Coastal Defences: No further developments.

Council Tax 2009/10 & Council’s Budget Monitoring report: William Mutlow reported that the Council’s Budget Monitoring – Financial Outturn Report for the period 1 April 2008 – 31 March 2009 shows a £1.683m surplus.

Chairman’s note: WM also referred a number of differences between the Council Budget Monitoring statement for December 2008 and that for March 2009 but this does not take account of two statements covering the periods 1 April 2008 – 31 January 2009 and 1 April 2008 – 28 February 2009 presented at subsequent Cabinet meetings and I have asked WM if he might see if these clarify some of his queries.

WM referred to adjustments relating to Financial Reporting Standard (FRS)15. These guidelines require that costs that should not be capitalised, where they are not directly attributable to bringing a physical asset into working condition. Examples include

preparing procedures for how a new system/asset will operate, training of staff in the use of the asset, promoting the new service/asset, the cost of alternative arrangements (hiring alternative accommodation) whilst the property is built, etc.

As a consequence of this guidance, certain expenditure previously recorded as capital thought-out the year has now been transferred and shown as chargeable to revenue.

Poole Partnership: JS reported that the Steering Group meeting due to be held on 22/04/09 was cancelled. The next meeting has been fixed for 24/06/09 but JS has sent his apologies as he will only just returned home from his operation.

Lindsay Road to Station Road Corridor/Pedestrian refuge at junction of Penn Hill Ave and Spur Hill Ave: William Mutlow reported that as Penn Hill Ave had been designated as part of the Prime Transport Corridor from Lindsay Road to Ashley Cross, more traffic is using this road. This has made it difficult for the elderly to crossing difficult to cross this road and a refuge in the centre of the road is urgently needed.

This issue was raised at the Canford Cliffs & Penn Hill area meeting on 03/06/09 and residents were informed that there are currently 39 sites on the Council’s list, 7 of which have a higher ranking than this site. Two of these 7 facilities are likely to be installed in this financial year. At the next Area meeting, residents are to be told how the priorities are determined.

The meeting was attended by a number of residents from the Abbeyfield Home at the junction of Spur Hill Ave and Penn Hill Ave and WM emphasised the importance of attending Area Committee meetings to show Ward Councillors the strength of local feeling.

Canford Cliffs Village & proposal to plant trees in Haven Road: Keith Alcroft reported that he had not made much progress. He is experiencing resistance from Transportation Services who are looking to produce a Borough-wide policy for trees in an urban

environment in conjunction with the Conservation Officer for Planning & Regeneration Services.

MH said that the Canford Cliffs Land Society are exploring the idea of palm trees in planters, which would avoid the problem of root spread, and an on-site meeting with an Urban Design Team officer has been arranged for next Wednesday

MH felt that this might be an appropriate solution as an interim measure while the discussions on a Borough-wide policy for trees in an urban environment are ongoing

Bella Rosa, 37 Haven Road – JS reported that a retrospective application for the screen was lodged on 11/05/09 at the request of Planning Enforcement Dept. Following the visit by the Planning Enforcement and Transportation Services officers visited on 04/02/09, it

was agreed that the line of sight is obscured but, as yet, no report has been posted on the BoP Planning Application website from Transportation Services.

Chairman’s Note: A ‘Written Representations’ appeal against the Enforcement Order was lodged last month but, in order not to waste public funds responding to an enforcement appeal unnecessarily, the enforcement notice has been withdrawn and the Enforcement Officer’s concerns over the retention of the screens have been forwarded for the attention of the case officer.

Public Rights of Way:

Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – No further developments

Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road – ditto

Bessborough Road – ditto

Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to set up a small Sub-Committee to look at this.

Canford Cliffs Chine: KA reported that, following the recent downpour, a large amount of leaves and detritus has washed onto the beach and is being cleared up by a digger.

MH said that the possibility of using youth offenders to do some planting had been discarded on the grounds of the cost of supervision and is not going to happen. It was suggested that residents might be willing to help but MH felt that, as the Council took rhododendron away, it was not fair to residents ask to assist with the remedial work

Fossilised tree discovered at Branksome Chine: JS reported that the fossilised tree is now in place at Branksome Chine next to canoe lifeguards station beside the Beach Office. The current explanatory notice is to be replaced with a permanent board in due course.

KA commented that a large sign had been erected in the place originally proposed but which had been deemed inappropriate by the Head of Leisure Services

Chairman’s note: The information board in question has been there for several weeks and, for those with limited mobility, the disabled parking bays are sited well away from the sign

The refuse bins beside the fossilised tree have been removed, as has the ‘old’ notice board. I assume that the proposed explanatory board is to be put in place in due course.

Canford Cliffs Play Area/Pinecliff wildlife trail: JS reported that the official unveiling of the play sculptures took place on 07/05/09.

Double Yellow Lines on Woodside Road: JS reported that this proposal had been rejected by the two Penn Hill Ward Councillors who attended the Canford Cliffs & Penn Hill Area Committee meeting held on 03/06/09.

Use of Assn’s Capital Reserve: JS invited Kathleen Hurley to put her request for a donation towards an extension to the existing Meeting Room at the Canford Cliffs Library to enable members to attend regular meeting, and would also provide room for educational projects for both young and old.

KH said that, as ‘Friends of Canford Cliffs Library’, they are the victims of our own success and have outgrown the Meeting Room. Approx 70 people are members but only about 20 at a time can attend the regular Monday Coffee morning due to lack of space.

The plans are quite modest, the extension the Friends have in mind would cost approximately £20,000. Ward Councillors support the Friends, but Poole Council have informed the Friends that there is unlikely to be any cash for some time to come.

The Friends have prepared an application to the Grass Roots association for a grant of £5,000, but they advise the Friends to delay sending this in until the Friends can say where the majority of the money needed will come from.

The Friends currently have funds totalling around £3,500 and the purchase of a Coffee Machine is in the pipeline

JS asked those present how much of our current reserves (around £34,000) they felt that the Assn should commit to support project.

Roy Fluellen suggested 50% but JS, from the chair, thought that this was being over-generous.

SA suggested £5000 but to be conditional on the funds being released only when agreement to go ahead with the extension was guaranteed. SA was concerned that if the funds were handed over now, these might get swallowed up in the administrative costs of getting the project off the ground.

TS supported a donation of £5,000 and asked if the Canford Cliffs Land Society had been asked for their support. KH said that the Land Society had seemed reluctant to release funds for this project.

Kevin Goldstein Jackson suggested a donation of £4,000 and said that we should seek a plaque/board to include the Assn’s name in recognition of contribution.

A member suggested the possible release of 50% to get the project started.

SA reminded members of the £5,000 spent on the abortive Luscombe Valley Judicial Review and said that this donation needs to be put on a formalised footing, as the Assn is spending other peoples money and would expect to see success of the project.

JS put the matter to the vote with a show of hands. A donation of £5000 was agreed (14 voting in favour) An alternative of £4000 received 6 votes in favour)

KH thanked the Assn and said its generosity was appreciated.


KA reported…

12 St Clair Road (Construct 2 detached dwellings with associated parking. (Revised Scheme) – Application registered on 08/05/09. Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 09/06/09.

11 Westminster Road (Demolish existing dwelling & erect a block of 5 2-bed apartments with basement parking & bin store) – Application registered on 29/05/09. Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 09/06/09.

11 Leicester Road

(a) Conservation Area application to demolish existing dwelling & outline application erect a 59 bedroom care home, bin and cycle store and associated parking (15 casino online spaces) with some matters reserved – Applications refused by Planning Committee on 16/04/09.

(b) Outline application to erect a 59 bedroom care home (class C2) with associated parking (15 spaces), bin & cycle store (revised scheme) – Application registered on 29/05/09. KA is waiting to hear from neighbours.

(c) Conservation Area application to demolish existing dwelling & associated buildings (revised scheme) – Application registered on 19/05/09. Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 29/05/09.

The Avenue/Western Road Traffic Lights (A 12m Slimline Streetworks pole with shrouded antennas and one telecommunications cabinet) – application was refused on 05/06/09.

Other current planning issues

7 Ventry Close (Erect a link-detached 3-bedroom dwelling (revised scheme) – Subject to ‘Written representation’ appeal (APP/Q1255/A/09/2102722) The date for final comments

from the appellants and LPA is 29/06/09. The date of the site visit has yet to be announced.

Land adj 1 Over Links Drive (Sever land and erect a new detached house(Revised Scheme) – Letter of objection registered on behalf of Assn on 03/04/09.

36 Links Road (Demolish part of existing bungalow and erect 2 storey house. Demolition of remainder of existing bungalow after completion of new build) – Application granted on 22/04/09

14 Nairn Road

(a) Demolish existing bungalow and erect a four storey 6 bed house – Appeal (APP/Q1255/A/09/2094445) dismissed on 28/05/09.

(b) Demolish existing bungalow and erect a four storey 5 bed house. (Revised Scheme) – Subject to Appeal Hearing (APP/Q1255/A/09/2100972) on 30/06/09.

(c) Demolish existing bungalow & erect a four storey five bed house (Revised scheme) – Application registered on 15/05/09 and has been ‘red-carded’.

Victoria School, 12 Lindsay Road

(a) Erect modular classroom building comprising 3 classrooms, entrance hall and toilet facilities) – .Application withdrawn on 14/03/09.

(b) Extension to existing classrooms and loft conversion to offices – Application registered on 22/05/09.

(2 Tower Road Conservation area application to demolish existing dwelling & erect 3 detached dwellings with associated parking) Application registered 17/12/08. Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 23/01/09. If the officers are not minded to refuse this application under delegated authority, this will be decided by the Planning Committee at a date yet to be announced.

3 Tower Road (1 x 3 bed detached dwelling) – Application registered on 19/05/09. A note dated 27/05/09 from the Urban design and Conservation Officer recommends refusal.

Land adj. 2 Mornish Road (Conservation area application to erect a 5-bed detached house with integral garage, access from Mornish Road (Revised scheme) – Application subject to Appeal Hearing (APP/Q1255/A/09/2098623) on 08/07/09.

20 Balcombe Road

(a) Demolish existing and erect 3 detached houses. As amended by plans received 15/09/08

(b) Demolish existing dwelling and erect 5 no. 2 bed apartments. As amended by plan received 11/09/08. Appeals against the refusal to grant (a) & (b) were withdrawn on 17/04/09.

(c) Demolish existing and erect 3 detached houses (Revised Scheme) – Application refused on 27/05/09.

16-18 Durrant Road (Demolish existing and erect 2 blocks of 6 flats (12 total) with single linked basement garage) – application granted by Planning Committee on 17/04/08 and subject to complaint by local residents to Local Government Ombudsman. One complaint was dismissed and it is assumed the other was too.

Canford Cliffs, Promenade 2 (a) Construction of 18 new beach huts) – Application No: 08/24380/005/F & (b) Conservation Area application to demolish 8 beach huts (nos 99-106) adjacent to Canford Cliffs Chine. Application No: 08/24380/007/U The applications were registered as long ago as 22/01/08 &13/02/08 respectively. MH will keep the Assn advised of any further developments.

19 Sandbourne Road (Demolish existing and erect 5 apartments over 3 storeys with basement parking and associated cycle and bin store) – Amended plans lodged on 12/05/09.

8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application. An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property.

60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.

4. REPORT RE SOUTHERN POOLE CHAIRMENS’ LIAISON GROUP MEETING (20/05/09) – TS reported that, in addition the usual routine topics, Cllr Peter Adams gave a talk on Sustainable Communities Act (SCA) 2007

  • · The Council has adopted this discretionary legislation but have no powers to raise tax to fund its operation.
  • · The aim of the SCA 2007 is to improve the ‘wellbeing’ of community by encouraging suggestions from residents.
  • · New original ideas are being looked for with the first set required urgently since the first half-yearly collection ends late July.
  • · Examples might include the right of objectors to appeal a planning decision rather like developers can.
  • · Ideas can be accepted at Council level or promoted up to Secretary of State level.

Cllr Adams also spoke about (a) the £1.2m Playbuilder scheme to improve play areas around the Borough (b) adult electronic equipment in Poole Park, (c) Upton Park review and (d) the provision of headquarters for the Canoe Club at the former site of the outdoor swimming pool in Park Lake Road.

In answer to a question from a member, MH said that no decision had been made about the make-up of the Residents’ panel to review the ideas put forward under the SCA 2007

5. REPORT RE NEWTOWN & PARKSTONE AREA COMMITTEE MEETING (13/05/09) – As no one present had attended this meeting, there was no report.

6. REPORT RE CANFORD CLIFFS & PENN HILL AREA COMMITTEE MEETING (03/06/09) – JS said that a number of the issues discussed at the meeting had been dealt with earlier but he mentioned South East Dorset Transport Study and suggested that members may like to collect a questionnaire from the Public Library. TS said that the survey was costing £5/6m but said that this was required to obtain the necessary funding for various road improvements in the area. JS has received an invitation to a Wider Reference Group meeting on 01/07/09 in his capacity as Poole Partnership Steering Group representative for Residents’ & Tenants’ Assns and Community Groups but he suspects that he will still be convalescing from his operation, TS will attend in his stead.

7. ACCOUNTS TO DATEJD reported that the that funds at the end May was around £34,000.

JS said that Bob Young is hoping that if all those who have indicated that they would like to place an advert in the Assn’s Autumn 2009 magazine, this should bring in around £2,650 which would, more or less, cover the cost of the magazine.


Flytipping in Dover Road – JS reported that a second incidence of flytipping has occurred in Dover Road. On the first occasion it was a lorry load but this time it was a ’skip’ load. Maggie Mills reported that, thanks to the intervention of Cllr Collier, this has now been cleared

Kevin Goldstein-Jackson congratulated the Council on the “fantastic response” in clearing rubbish dumped in the Martello Woods.

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) – Following the demise of the Dorset Federation of Residents’ Assns, the Assn no longer has PLI cover. JS is pursuing.

Ventry Close – 5 new members attended meeting. A Ventry Close resident asked if anything could be done about the traffic noise along Lindsay Road, particularly replace the current stone surface with tarmac. Concern was also expressed about speeding vehicles in Lindsay Road.

JS agreed that the problem had worsened since Lindsay Road had become a Prime Transport Corridor to Ashley Cross but he had written to the Council about this 2/3 years ago and was told that re-surfacing of Lindsay Road was a low priority.

JS said that he would pick this issue up again

Canford Cliffs Traders Assn Fund raising event – MH informed the meeting of this event, with ‘bring and share’ lunch to be held at 16 De Mauley Road on Wednesday, 17th June 12 noon – 5pm.

51 Chaddesley Glen – Bob Milligan raised a concern about this newly built property in Chaddesley Glen which seems higher than agreed planning consent. MH agreed to investigate.

SA felt that BM should not raise his hopes that any action would be taken as, in his

experience, developers seem to breach height restrictions with impunity.

Rock Groynes at Branksome Chine – Rose Rogers said that she was “horrified at the rock groynes on ‘our lovely beach” but JS said that these were now a ‘fait accompli’ and, in his opinion, were not as obtrusive as he once feared.

JS closed the meeting at 8.35pm.

Date of next Meeting: The next meeting is Wednesday 8th July 2009 in the Main Hall at Branksome St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road)