BPCCRA Minutes April 8th 2009


HELD ON 8TH APRIL 2009 at 7.30pm



Terry Stewart President

John Sprackling Chairman

John Defty Treasurer

Keith Alcroft Planning Officer

Stan Alfert Data Protection Officer

John Gunton Magazine Editor

Val Short Minutes Secretary

Cllr Mrs Carole Deas Ward Councillor

Cllr Mrs May Haines ditto

12 Members/Wardens

Welcomes: JS welcomed Cllr Mrs May Haines and all those present, especially any present for the first time. Cllr Mrs Carole Deas also joined the meeting a little later.


Apologies: Bob & Phyllis Young

Accuracy: JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting held on 11 March 2009.


Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported that…

1. Quayside (former) Dolphin Quays development – No further developments

2. Poole Pottery factory buildings in Sopers Lane – ditto

3. Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – ditto

4. Quay Thistle Hotel site – JS has, at last, received a copy of the 26 week Planning Performance Agreement (PPA) and was advised on 23/03/09 that the Development Team were just entering Week 8. JS said that he would set out the actions for the remaining weeks in the Minutes.

Week 9
– Public exhibition held
– Members updated necessary following the public exhibition
– Terence O’Rourke (TO’R) to circulate summary of comments from the public exhibition
– Architects (EPR) to amend scheme if necessary following comments from the public exhibition
– EPR Issue final drawings
– Hyder update
– TO’R to produce supporting planning statement
– EPR to produce D&A (?Design & Access Statement)
Week 10
– All material for submission to TO’R
– Application submitted
Week 11
– Application validated and and registered
– TO’R manage and monitor submitted application
Week 12 -19
– Formal consultation of statutory consultees
– TO’R manage and monitor submitted application
Week 20
– Case officer to summarise main comments received to date and to confirm the heads of terms for any legal agreement
Week 21
– Joint development team review meeting to discuss consultee comments and heads of terms

– TO’R circulate minutes of meeting

Week 22 -23
– Case officer to prepare report to committee
– TO’R manage and monitor submitted application
Week 24
– Case officer to prepare published report to committee
– TO’R to prepare presentation to committee
– Committee – officer’s report published
Week 25 -26
– Application to Planning Committee committee

– TO’R to provide any outstanding information order to get the decision notice issued
– case officer to notify the applicant team the Committee decision and or any matters that need to be resolved before a decision notice is issued
‘ Once outstanding matters have been resolved, legal decision notice to be issued and agreement to be signed in an agreed time-scale
Week 27
– End of 16 week determination period

5. Old Orchard House. 39-61. High Street – No further developments

JS reported that the Frequently Asked Questions about the 2nd Harbour Crossing have now been posted on the BoP website. The link is<http://www.boroughofpoole.com/go.php?structureID=categories&ref=C49B92A281F38B> JS said that he had been under the impression that this would include the answer to the question regarding the costs incurred to date in relation to the overall cost of £37.5m (Taken from Summary Report of the Audit Commission’s Report ‘Full Sail Ahead ‘Borough of Poole Audit 2007-2008′ published in February 2008). JS said that just before he left home for tonight’s meeting, he had received a note from the Head of Legal & Democratic Services to say that ”the information that you seek is already in the public domain in a number of reports, in particular, report to Council last December.”

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:

Flat 6, 20 Flaghead Road (Requirement for obscure-glazed glass) – MH advised JS on 24/03/09 that “the obscured glazed window was fitted over the weekend. Mr & Mrs Smith are very pleased that there is now closure on this case.

Fitzmor Homes Ltd sites at 49 & 49a Haven Road & 7 Balcombe Road & 18

Balcombe Road (Oversize ‘For Sale’ board) – The flags and advertisement board at 49 & 49a Haven Road have been removed.

75 Canford Cliffs Road – Enforcement Notice re the formation of an unauthorised vehicular entrance subject to ‘Written representations’ Appeal

(APP/Q1255/C/08/2086204) Date for Final comments was 24/12/08

Progress re Sir Michael Pitt’s recommendations & Meeting with Residents’ Associations on 25/03/09

Sir Michael Pitt’s Report – JS reported that target dates for Recommendations 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6 is May 2009 and for recommendation 2 is June 2009).Roy Pointer reported on the meeting with Residents’ Associations; repesentatives on 25/03/09, chaired by Cllr Mrs Ann Stribley, Chairman of the Planning Committee, attended by Stephen Thorne, Head of Planning & Regeneration, Peter Watson, Head of Planning Design & Control Services, Michael Garrity, Senior Planning Officer and approx 30 residents.

The Core Strategy for the Local Development Framework has now been amended and adopted following the Inspector’s report on 19th February and can be viewed on the Council website.

The threshold for affordable housing has dropped to 6 dwellings (with benchmark target of 40%). The inspector’s recommendation for renewable energy generation is 10/20% of energy needs – it was not made clear what this actually means.

The Spatial Strategy calls for 10,000 new homes (500 pa) by 2026 and the creation of 13,700 new jobs in Poole. The focus of most development will be in areas which are currently developed and have existing business development. Revitalising the town centre includes 35,000 sq m of retail development and the relocation of the bus depot and a new bus station.

Flat development can continue on streets or parts of streets where flats predominate, but with added conditions restricting hard surfaces and avoiding loss of gardens and trees.

Residents within areas which they consider as having special character and are not part of existing Conservation Areas, may wish to ask for these to be included in the draft Site Specific policy document, which is due for Pre-submission public participation in Oct/Nov 2009, with formal submission in Feb 2010.

MH mentioned ‘Placechecks’ and said that she would send the website link to JS – see Chairman’s note below..

Community Infrastructure Levy is being introduced payable by developers. This is an extension to existing Section 106. “Community infrastructure” can be wide ranging, but more information is needed to understand this properly.

RP then referred to Peter Watson’s presentation on ‘Issues raised by participants’

Enforcement – PW said that where more than one enforcement unit is involve, one unit should take lead on the complaint but this may not then get priority wished for by the complainant.

Third Party Challenges – PW said that the fact that residents don’t like the decision is no reason to challenge.

Communication and Notification – Since Sept 2008, new consulting procedures have been put in place and residents on other side of road are now notified. Yellow notices only apply in Conservation Areas. Letters of objection are not acknowledged, but can be viewed on the BoP Planning Application website.

JG asked if you have objected before, will you be notified again if any change?

Chairman’s Note: At the meeting, the answer given was ‘No’ which is correct if it’s simply amended plans but original objectors will be notified if it’s a new application.

Consistency – Every proposal must be considered on its individual merits and in accordance with the Development Plan. Conditions may be waived once impact is known – Sometimes overlooking windows can only be tested once the building is completed

Retrospective ApplicationsPW said these can be made – law says so

Private/Public Interests (Party Wall Act and Covenants etc) – The Local Planning Authority cannot get involved as these are matters outside the provisions of the Town and Country Planning Act.

Appeal Costs – These can now be claimed in all classes of appeal – by both sides

Tree Protection – PW said that trees need to be protected and don’t expect sympathy if you buy in to a treed plot!!

Houses in Multiple Occupation – The Government are currently consulting in this area. JS said that this is a problem in the area covered by Talbot View Residents’ Assn.

Stephen Thorne announced that he is setting up a Consultation Working Group with 6 representatives of Residents Associations throughout the Borough. JS reported that the provisional date for the first meeting is 13 May 2009 at 14.30.

RP concluded by saying that there were 101 issues raised by participants at the meeting, but too late in the evening for much discussion. Lots of questions did not have time to be raised. Stephen Thorne will be at the Assn’s AGM, so hopefully this will be an opportunity to put questions then.

Chairman’s note: MH has copied me in to the note below from Nigel Jacobs of the former Strategic Planning Services Unit dated 18/07/07 and also the link to the

Placecheck website <http://www.placecheck.info/> for the Placecheck ‘pro-forma’.


“…a placecheck provides evidence of particular features of a place, this may be important features such as trees, equally it can identify areas for improvements or where change could help facilitate improvement to an area. In essence it is an audit of a defined location. Remember this is about place not individual buildings.

It is therefore a body of evidence that can be used to inform discussion about a place and changes that may be proposed. In time it may inform a policy approach and more detailed guidance that is set out in supplementary planning documents. On its own, it

does not and cannot have the same weight as a policy or adopted SPG (Supplementary Planning Guidance) but it can provide the context for consideration of a planning application and its findings can then be discussed with relevant bodies to inform appropriate future policies for an area.

The placecheck can therefore support existing policies through a more detailed analysis of a location, acting as a piece of research that could aid the decision making process, whether this be by the Council or in an appeal situation.

What placecheck is not is an anti development tool but a positive tool to ensure that where change happens that this change has regard to those features of importance through involving local residents.

Often when residents are objecting to development they fail to look at the wider context of the street looking narrowly at the individual application. Placecheck allows for residents to think about the wider locality i.e. what is the pattern of development, scale of buildings, relationship between buildings and spaces. Having undertaken this work and providing it is objective it can provide a single point of reference for all within the given location.”

Poole Beaches and Coastal Defences: No further developments.

Council Tax 2009/10 & Financial Monitoring report: JS said that he normally provide William Mutlow with a copy of the Council’s Financial Monitoring Report but the latest report for the period 01/04/08 to 28/02/09 is not due to be presented to the Cabinet meeting until 14/04/09.

William Mutlow referred to Cllr Leverett’s letter to residents in the latest issue of ‘Poole News’ and quoted the following two extracts…

“Reduced planning applications and land fee charges, together with the fall in interest rates, will cost the Council £2.2m next year. In addition, there is an increased call on our services as more people apply for Council Tax and revenue benefit. We must also provide an extra £1.7m in Adult Social Services to support services for older people. Our costs have risen too with extra waste disposal charges, including a significant increase in landfill tax.

…However, in order to deliver our usual services we need to increase Council Tax by 4.8% this year.”

WM referred to an article in the National press in February which said that wage increases in public sector were 3.5% compared to 1.5% in the private sector. Cllr Leverett’s reference to ‘usual’ services may not be affordable in the current financial climate.

Statement by Cllr Mrs Carole Deas – Carole Deas asked if she might address the meeting and JS agreed. CD referred to her recent expulsion from the Conservative Group and one of the reason was for voting against the 2008/09 Budget. At the Council meeting considering the budget in February 2009, CD & Cllr David Gillard had voted against on this single issue, as a matter of conscience, in view of the disastrous economic downturn facing the country.

At the Assn’s last meeting. CD had referred to increases in members’ allowances of up to 67%, CD had been challenged about this read from a table of Special Responsibility Allowances awarded to 21 members in the Borough of Poole in 2008 (see table below), some of which were postponed until April 2009.

Three Conservative Councillors had voted to abstain when these increases were put tothe vote in 2008. on the basis it was an inopportune time in a period of financial


CD believes the figures have been misrepresented to avoid the true implications of inflation-busting increases.

Roy Pointer asked about the reason for the increases and CD replied that there had been”some increase in some responsibilities”. JS said that the increases had been agreed by the Independent Remuneration Panel but CD alleged that the Panel initially recommended no increases and they were asked to reconsider the matter.


Increases in Councillor Special Allowances

Nos Benefiting 2008/09 2007/08 % Inc

Above Inflation Increases
Portfolio Holder 8 10707 8325 29%
Overview/Scrutiny Chair 6 4283 2498 71%
Planning Chair 1 8566 4163 106%
Con Political Gp Leader* 1 4283 3331 29%
LD Political Gp Leader* 1 4283 2931 46%

Minimal Increases
Council Leader 1 21415 20813 3%
Deputy Council Leader 1 12849 12488 3%
Licensing Chair 1 4283 4163 3%
TAG Chair 1 2570 2498 3%
* Political Group Leaders also get an additional £50 per group member


Poole Partnership: JS reported that he will be attending a Steering Group meeting on 22/04/09.

Lindsay Road to Station Road Corridor/Speeding: No further developments.

Canford Cliffs Village & proposal to plant trees in Haven Road: KA reported that a meeting between officers, scheduled to take place this afternoon, didn’t take place. KA said that the officers’ latest concern is about car doors, etc banging into trees. KA informed the officer that the Canford Cliffs Land Society AGM and the Assn’s AGM, which are due to take place shortly and he would like to be in a position to give an up-to-date report on this matter.

Bella Rosa – MH reported No progress at moment. The owners were going to submit application for clear surround but it had been made clear that that this had previously been refused. No planning application yet. MH will try to get hold of the Enforcement Officer.

Chairman’s Note: MH has since copied me in to a note from the Enforcement Team Leader dated 09/04/09 which reads “an Enforcement Notice was served today on the premises with one month for compliance unless an appeal is made before that date.

Public Rights of Way:

Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – nothing new to report.

Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road SA said that it will be one year in May/June since relevant application was submitted and he is still waiting. It was agreed that SA should ‘chase’ on behalf of Assn between now and end of June

Bessborough Road – nothing new to report.

Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to set up a small Sub-Committee to look at this. JS said that TS had kindly provided him with two useful publications issued by the Charity Commission.

Canford Cliffs Chine: MH said that she still waiting to hear from the Head of Leisure Services.

BPCCRA Spring 2009 Magazine & AGM (02/05/09) – JS thanked all those responsible for the collation and distribution of the magazine and said that all the preparations have been made for the AGM on 02/05/09. JS said that if anyone has any question which he/she may wish to put to Stephen Thorne, in advance of the meeting, please let JS know.

Fossilised tree discovered at Branksome Chine: KA reported that the fossilised tree is to be erected on a plinth with explanatory notice at Branksome Chine to the left of the Beach Office beside canoe lifeguards station.


KA reported…

Land adj 1 Over Links Drive (Sever land and erect a new detached house(Revised Scheme) – Letter of objection registered on behalf of Assn on 03/04/09.

36 Links Road (Demolish part of existing bungalow and erect 2 storey house. Demolition of remainder of existing bungalow after completion of new build) – Letter of objection registered on behalf of Assn on 08/04/09.

11 Leicester Road Outline application to demolish existing dwelling and associated outbuildings. Erect a 59 bedroom care home, bin and cycle store and associated parking (15 spaces) with some matters reserved) Application to be determined by Planning Committee on 16/04/09. The Officer’s recommendation is to ‘Refuse’.

7A Bury Road (Demolish existing and erect replacement 2 storey dwelling with basement (revised scheme) – application refused on 18/03/09.

14 Nairn Road (a) Demolish existing bungalow and erect a four storey 6 bed house – Subject to Appeal Hearing (APP/Q1255/A/09/2094445). Date for final comments was 25/03/09.

(b) Demolish existing bungalow and erect a four storey 5 bed house. (Revised

Scheme) – application refused on 18/03/09.

Judicial Review Hearing re 1, 2 & 3 Alington Close & 2a & 2b Shore Road (Demolish existing and erect 6 x two/ three storey blocks comprising 32 flats with basement car parking, accessed off Alington Close and associated works and landscaping) (Amended scheme) – The Judge accepted Ground 1 – The summary of the reasons for granting permission was inadequate. The reasons were not spelt out sufficiently but there was no objection in principle to the development and the failure was of limited scope and application and the Judge used his discretion to dismiss the claim.

The Council’s deputy Barrister asked for costs of £33,000, but following a challenge by the claimant’s Barrister, Justice Sales accepted that the amount claimed appeared excessive and ordered a reduction to £22,000. The shortfall of at least £11,000 will have to be met by Council Tax payers but the exact shortfall will not be known until the Solicitors, Sharpe Pritchard submit their final bill.

SA reminded those present that, although we contributed £4,000, we are not committed to any further costs.

1 Alington Close, 2a and 2b Shore Road (Demolish existing properties and erect six detached houses with detached and integral garages, with single access from Alington Close) – Application refused by Planning Committee on 26/03/09.

Other current planning issues

Victoria School, 12 Lindsay Road (Erect modular classroom building comprising 3 classrooms, entrance hall and toilet facilities) – .Letter of objection lodged on

behalf of Assn on 01/03/09.

2 Tower Road (Conservation area application to demolish existing dwelling & erect 3 detached dwellings with associated parking) Application registered 17/12/08.

Letter of objection lodged on behalf of Assn on 23/01/09. If the officers are not minded to refuse this application under delegated authority, this will be decided by the Planning Committee at a date yet to be announced.

Land adj. 2 Mornish Road (Conservation area application to erect a 5-bed detached house with integral garage, access from Mornish Road (Revised scheme) – Application subject to ‘Written representations’ appeal (APP/Q1255/A/09/2098623)

Date for final comments is 29/04/09.

20 Balcombe Road

(a) Demolish existing and erect 3 detached houses. As amended by plans received15/09/08 Application subject to Planning Inquiry (APP/Q1255/A/09/2093512). Date

for final comments was 16/03/09.

(b) Demolish existing dwelling and erect 5 no. 2 bed apartments. As amended by plan received 11/09/08. Application subject to Planning Inquiry (APP/Q1255/A/09/2093513). Date for final comments is 09/03/09.

16-18 Durrant Road (Demolish existing and erect 2 blocks of 6 flats (12 total) with single linked basement garage) – application granted by Planning Committee on 17/04/08 and subject to complaint by local residents to Local Government

Ombudsman (LGO). The LGO’s provisional findings received on 08/11/08 were that the Council did nothing wrong but final decision is still awaited.

Canford Cliffs, Promenade 2 (a) Construction of 18 new beach huts) – ApplicationNo: 08/24380/005/F & (b) Conservation Area application to demolish 8 beach huts (nos 99-106) adjacent to Canford Cliffs Chine. Application No: 08/24380/007/U The applications were registered as long ago as 22/01/08 &13/02/08 respectively. MH

will keep the Assn advised of any further developments.

19 Sandbourne Road (Demolish existing and erect 5 apartments over 3 storeys with basement parking and associated cycle and bin store) – Amended plans lodged on 11/12/08.

8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application. An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property.

60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.

4. REPORT RE SOUTHERN POOLE CHAIRMENS’ LIAISON GROUP MEETING (30/03/09) – TS reported that, following Sir M Pitts’ recommendations, the Group has written to Poole’s Chief Executive seeking an improvement in relations between Residents’ Assns and the Council.

The group received a presentation from Bernard Merna, the owner of Compton Acres who claimed that hotel will not be visible from anywhere except Lilliput Road. It is likely that Mr M will reduce the number of apartments from seven to five to avoid having to make an Affordable Housing contribution. Mr M said that there were very few days when car park is full. The number of visitors has been declining despite spending tens of £1,000s on improving gardens. TS reminded those present that if Compton Acres were to go bankrupt, the Council will then take ownership of the Gardens.

5. ACCOUNTS TO DATE – JD reported that funds at the end March were £34,150 – less magazine cost £2,500, offset by advertising income coming in.


Big Green Fortnight (Friday 15th May – Sunday 31st May 2009 – JS said that he’d been asked by Tony Hamilton of Agenda 21 if he would promote this event. JS will distribute a note about this with the Minutes.

Canford Cliffs Play Area – MH reported that funding has been approved. Canford Cliffs Land Society will match funding. Postponed but hoping for Spring next year.

Pinecliff wildlife trail – JS is advised that this project is still ongoing, the sculptor who is making the wooden animals is being chased by on of the officers in Leisure Services and the Council intend to have it completed by the summer holidays.

Parkstone, Penn Hill & Canford Cliffs Safer Neighbourhood Partnership – JS reminded members of the Public Meeting on Wednesday 22nd April from 6-7pm at the Sandbanks Hotel, Banks Road, Poole.

Lindsay Road/Station Road corridor – WM has written to Transportation Services for pelican crossing at junction of Penn Hill Ave and Spur Hill Ave. as people already finding it difficult to cross and it will become more so as progress is made with proposals to improve the Lindsay Road/Station Road route as a Prime Transport Corridor. WM said that an assessment is to be made.

Double Yellow Lines on Woodside Road – WM said that, at the Canford Cliffs & Penn Hill Area Committee meeting on 04/02/09, as a result of suggestion from Cllr Mrs Stribley, it was recommended by the Traffic Panel to impose No Waiting 8am-6pm

Mon-Sat restrictions in Woodside Road. There was no discussion on this item.

Chairman’s Note: The proposed Traffic Regulation Orders were due to be advertised as part of the 2008/09 programme.

Use of Assn’s Capital Reserve – JG referred to the fact that the Assn had £32,000 or so ‘in the kitty’ and asked if we need this amount. JG suggested that we ask for suggestions at the AGM as to how to spend some of this, e.g. £5,000.

Date of next Meeting: The next meeting is the AGM on Saturday 2nd May 2009 in

All Saints Church Hall, Western Road, Branksome Park at 10.30am

The next monthly meeting will be on Wednesday 10th June 2009 in the Main Hall at Branksome St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road)

JS closed the meeting at 8.35pm.