BPCCRA Minutes September 9th 2009





John Sprackling Chairman

Michael Bond Membership Secretary

Stan Alfert Data Protection Officer

Bob Young Magazine Advertising

Val Short Minutes Secretary

Cllr Mrs May Haines Ward Councillor

Cllr Neil Sorton ditto

15 Members/Wardens


JS welcomed NS & MH and all those present, especially those attending for the first time.

Apologies: Apologies received from Terry Stewart, John Defty, Keith Alcroft, John Gunton, John Fox, Roy Pointer & Ken Sanson, Chairman, Sandbanks Assn

Accuracy: JS said that he would sign the Minutes as a true and accurate record of the meeting held on 12 August 2009.


Poole Pottery/Old Orchard/Quay Thistle Hotel sites update: JS reported that…

1. Quayside (former) Dolphin Quays development – No new developments

2. Poole Pottery factory buildings in Sopers Lane – ditto

3. Former Poole Pottery & Swan Inn site – ditto

4. Quay Thistle Hotel site – ditto

5. Old Orchard House. 39-61. High Street – ditto

Planning Enforcement, TPOs/Tree replacements – update:

75 Canford Cliffs Road – Removal of fence and re-instatement of the boundary wall at the newly created entrance to be completed by 15/08/09. JS to ask Cllr Mrs Deas if she will follow up.

Bella Rosa, 37 Haven Road – Retrospective application to erect glass screens to front and side of decking at front of property was refused on 03/07/09. Subject to ‘Written representation’ appeal (APP/Q1255/A/09/2108355 ) The deadline for statements/representations is 28/08/09.

2 Compton Avenue & 93 Lilliput Road – A number of breaches of Planning Conditions in relation to Application No: 06/11668/007/F have been highlighted by the LPA.

51 Chaddesley Glen – A new planning application has been requested due to noticeable alterations to the double garage located to the rear of the property. The Agents had asked for the proposal to be treated as a minor amendment to that previously approved on 27/12/07.

15A Westminster Road – Enforcement appeal dismissed and compliance with the following conditions required by 03/10/09 (i.e. three months from the date of Planning Inspector’s Decision letter (03/07/09)

Lower both the railings and the fence adjacent to a highway to 1 metre or remove them in their entirety.

19 Mornish Road – Tree replacement has not been carried out and it appears that there is no will to do so. The Local Planning Authority’s Planning Notice Log reads “Barrington Homes. Court July/August 2008. Both directors pleaded guilty and accept caution + paying our costs which include new tree. £3,500k” RP to raise this as a general point under AOB at the next meeting of the Community Working Group on 30/09/09.

Progress re Sir Michael Pitt’s recommendations following independent report into the control of development at the Borough of Poole: The Head of Planning & Regeneration provided an up-date on the key actions taken in relation to Sir Michael Pitt recommendations at the Council Efficiency and Effectiveness Overview & Scrutiny Committee meeting on 03/09/09.

JS said that he would include a note of the key actions taken in the Minutes – see below

1st recommendation: That senior Officers review the Council’s Risk Register and ensure that ‘the likelihood of the risk’, ‘the impact of the risk’ and ‘the mitigating actions’ relating to Development

Control, unlawful behaviour and damage to the reputation of the Council are given appropriate priority and that this aspect of the Council’s corporate governance is considered regularly by top management and Planning Services.

A robust risk register with clear mitigation is now in place.

2nd recommendation: Senior Members and Officers should redouble their efforts to explain Council planning policy and the reasons for their advice and decisions. This should be backed up with a rolling communications strategy developed by Officers.

  • · Member Hotline installed 01.04.09
  • · Cessation of non-availability of Planning Officers before 1430 from 07/04/09
  • · Customer Services and Communications Team engaged in service provision and training. Training planned for 06/08/09
  • · Pre-application discussions uploaded onto web at the point of an application being received 08/06/09
  • · Communications Strategy – Internal – Questionnaire and fact finding commenced
  • · Communications Strategy – External
  • · Head of Planning and Regeneration attended AGM of Branksome Park and Canford Cliffs Resident’s Association 02/05/09 and Broadstone Resident’s Association AGM on 21/05/09
  • · Community Working Group that includes Resident’s Associations formed 13.05.09 Further meetings scheduled for 08/07/09, 30/09/9, 25/11/09, 20/01/2010, 10/03/2010.
  • · Developers and Agents Working Group formed 25/06/09. Further meetings scheduled for 07/10/09 and 03/03/2010
  • · Working with Resident’s Association on ‘Place checking’ and character assessment
  • · Ward Walks initiative commenced 13/05/09 with Autumn and Spring dates of 14/10/09 and 14/04/10 scheduled
  • · Planning Charter initiated and draft completed for consultation in September.
  • · Strategic Development Team Concept initiated 19/06/09. Service Unit Head to attend Project management Group, Asset management Group and RTC Strategy group to ensure Corporate Projects are engaged with at an early stage
  • · Operational Development Team concept initiated 19/06/09. Points of Contact with units to be established and monthly meetings scheduled to ensure operational projects are brought to the attention of the Planning and Regeneration Unit at an early stage.
  • · Pilot scheme for Planning Committee to be live on the world wide web
  • · Improve communication with all stakeholders by upgrading the existing Planning Applications search website. This will include application tracking, notification of applications in any pre-defined area. If early November deadline missed earliest likely date for implementation is March 2010.
  • · Concerns by ICT & Customer First re resource capacity/lack of integration with single log on vision and GIS mapping project and benefits analysis
  • · ‘Place shaping for Poole’ Seminar – Scheduled for 06/11/09 IDeA and PAS to be invited to help

3rd recommendation: The Council should accelerate the planned remodeling of the membership of its Planning Committee and/or Cabinet in order to strengthen the Planning Committee’s independence and comply fully with the advice of the Audit Commission contained within the Corporate Assessment 2008.

• Training completed 09/06/09 and all Member training organised for 11/08/09

Although it was recommended that Cabinet members should not sit on the Planning Committee, Cabinet members continue to sit as susbstitutes. At the Planning Committee meeting on 27/08/09, two of the seven members were Cabinet members.

4th recommendation: The Council should review the standing of the Planning Committee within its political structure and invite the independent Panel on Members Allowances to more fully recognise the responsibilities and workload of Chair and Members.

  • · The Annual Council considered nominations to Planning Committee at its Full Council meeting on 12/05/09
  • · At member level, the issue of Members Allowances has been considered inappropriate to pursue in an Economic Recession and will be re-visited in 2011.

5th recommendation: The Council should review the way minutes of the Planning Committee are presented and when decisions are not unanimous, a record should be kept of Councillors abstaining and voting for and against the motion.

  • · The Head of Planning & Regeneration has recommended in consultation with Chair/Vice Chair Planning, Solicitor to the Council, Democratic Services and the Communities Working Group that a pilot scheme of showing a red, green or amber card at the point of vote to record whether the member is voting for, against or abstaining from the motion. Trialled 18/06/09. This has been seen by all parties to be a favourable compromise to the recommendation of a recorded vote and does not require a change to the constitution. Committee members can request a record of the votes.
    • ‘The Head of Legal and Democratic Services has considered this issue and at present sees no reason as to why the style to the Minutes of the Planning Committee should be changed.

The Head of Legal and Democratic Services’ decision is disappointing in view of the problems arising from the 7 Excelsior Road case which was referred to the Local Government Ombudsman.

6th recommendation: Given the challenges within the Borough, the Council should commission a comprehensive review of its arrangements for controlling development conducted by an experienced, senior and qualified Planning Officer. The terms of reference of the review should take into account the contents of this report.

• Awayday 31/03/09 with the Planning and Regeneration Unit to discuss Development Management and ‘place shaping’.

• Awayday 20/04/09 with Team Managers to discuss accommodation, personnel issues and business plan

• Regeneration Project Manager to be temporarily employed for 12 months from 07/09/09.

• Masterplan refresh to reconcile conservation/regeneration tensions of the public. The ‘narrative of the town’

• Design Forum initiative for sensitive schemes initiative commenced 12/05/09, with the aspiration of a cross boundary forum and commencement date of 01.09.09. Meeting taken place with Bournemouth Borough Council and the principle agreed.

• High quality design guidance project initiated 12/05/09 to update the design guidance

• Tour of Inspection for members initiative scheduled 16/09/09

• New software system live date 02/02/09

• Engagement of I&Dea to assist in executive/political understanding of Place Shaping as part of a tailored peer review through mixed forums and workshops. Peer Review dates 15-17/07/09. Report expected 01/09/09. Follow up visit programmed 02/09/09

• Key activities schedule commenced

• Formal presentation to Efficiency and Effectiveness Overview and Scrutiny Committee 03/09/09

7th recommendation: That the Administration seeks an urgent and permanent resolution to the on-going disagreements within the Group.

• Issue has been addressed by the Conservative Group

Both Cllrs Mrs Carole Deas and David Gillard are qualified to sit on the Planning Committee but they are now ‘Independent’ and, unless more ‘Independent’ candidates are elected in May 2011, they are not eligible to sit on the Committee because of the requirement to maintain political balance.

The Council nominated the Council Efficiency & Effectiveness Scrutiny Committee to oversee the implementation of the Action Plan following Sir Michael Pitt’s report and the Head of Planning & Regeneration up-dated Members on this at the Committee’s meeting on 03/09/09.

Poole Beaches and Coastal Defences: Roy Pointer has kindly agreed to attend the Poole & Christchurch Bays Shoreline Management Plan Review – Key Stakeholder Group meeting on 28/09/09.

Chairman’s note: Due to delays in the programme the meeting will now be held on 9th November by which time the draft Shoreline Management Plan document should be available.

Council Tax 2009/10 & Council’s Budget Monitoring report: JS reported that the Budget for 2010/11 and MTFP for 2010/11 to 2012/13 is to be reported to Cabinet at it’s next meeting in October 2009.

Some residents are very concerned about a likely large increase in household tax, especially people in certain parts of the ward who are on fixed incomes.

NS commented on increasingly tough times due to the current economic climate. Portfolio Holders were meeting with Heads of Service to discuss possible economies, ahead of the October/November Cabinet meeting. Savings already made, which include two positions in the Planning Dept. not filled, had been offset by £¼m in costs for an additional nine children taken into care.

WM suggested that, when looking at the Medium Term Financial Plan, the Council should consider ‘zero’ budgeting and there was a need to make hard choices. This month’s report predicts a slight surplus at the end of year, but this is achieved by the use of £3.8m held in un-earmarked reserves. WM felt that just moving around large sums of money on paper, disguises the true state of the Council’s financial position.

Poole Partnership: JS reported that last night’s Cabinet approved the Performance Reward Grant Allocation Process. Consideration of potential priorities for such funding will be considered at the Poole Partnership Steering Group meeting on 30/09/09.

The Poole Partnership Governance arrangements and structures are currently being reviewed in the light of the good practice guidance from the Audit Commission. Proposals are to be presented to the next Steering Group meeting on 29/09/09 which will seek to deal with the two way communication about the Partnership and the roles of the Performance Management Group and the Steering Group and will include the need for a communication strategy and for the Steering Group to be more widely representative as well as a more clearly defined role of the Performance Group.

On the communication theme, a revised website is now operative and Poole Partnership are seeking to include more regular Partnership articles in Poole News as well as the current use of press releases and various forums and community engagement.

Canford Cliffs Village & proposal to plant trees in Haven Road: MH reported that the Christmas Lights would be switched on, with refreshments and entertainment, at 5.30 – 6.00 pm on Friday 13th November.

This will be preceded by carols in the afternoon by Lilliput 1st School.

Public Rights of Way:

Westminster Road end of Dalkeith Road – No further developments

Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road – ditto

Bessborough Road – ditto

Ray Wylde asked why no progress was ever reported. SA said that, in spite of numerous calls to the relevant dept. no progress had been made, as each time he ‘phoned, he spoke to a different member of staff, all of whom said they would look into it, but then never called back.

Chairman’s note: SA has since received a note from the Technical Administrator, Transportation Services to say that the path from Buccleuch Road to Lakeside Road is actually already adopted highway, thus it actually has a higher status of protection than a public footpath/bridleway.

He goes on to say “It is still possible to add the path to the definitive map, but it would not be high on the council’s ‘to do’ list because with its current classification it is already safeguarded against development/encroachment, etc..”

Possible Charitable Status for Assn: JS has still to set up a small Sub-Committee to look at this.

Canford Cliffs Play Area: MH & NS explained that the Council could Canford Cliffs Play Area: MH & NS explained that the Council could only provide so much funding for the play area, so the Canford Cliffs Land Society (CCLS) had agreed to ‘top it up’. CCLS had spoken to mothers in the area and a petition had been raised. The decision that there is a need for a play area was taken at an Area Committee Meeting. The play area will take up only a small area of the green.

Use of Assn’s Capital Reserve: No new developments

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) – JS is pursuing.


In KA’s absence, JS reported…

7A Bury Road (Demolish existing and erect replacement two storey dwelling with basement (Revised Scheme) – Application granted by Planning Committee on 27/08/09. Peter Viney is meeting up with the Head of Planning & Regeneration tomorrow to discuss the conduct of the Planning Committee meeting.

31A Western Avenue (Demolish existing and erect replacement two storey dwelling with basement (Revised scheme) – the appeal against the Council’s refusal to grant these applications was allowed by the Planning Inspector on 27/08/09. The objectors may be meeting up with the Head of Planning & Regeneration tomorrow to discuss the implications of this decision in relation to future applications in the Branksome Park Conservation Area.

11 Leicester Road (Demolish existing & Outline application to erect a 59 bedroom care home (class C2) with associated parking (15 spaces), bin & cycle store (revised scheme) – Applications refused on 20/08/09.

Land adj 1 Over Links Drive (Sever land and erect a new detached house (Revised Scheme) – Letter of objection registered on behalf of Assn on 03/04/09. Application was expected to be considered at the Planning Committee meeting on 17/09/09 but has been deferred.

12 St Clair Road (Construct 2 detached dwellings with associated parking. (Revised Scheme) – Application is to be determined by the Planning Committee at their meeting on 17/09/09 (Evening)

Other current planning issues

19 Torbay Road – no further action until the application is submitted.

10 Wilderton Road (Demolish existing and erect a two storey, five bed detached dwelling with rooms at basement level and in the roof space with dormer and velux windows. A detached double garage with a dormer window. (Revised scheme) – Application registered on 30/07/09.

7 Ventry Close (Erect a link-detached 3-bedroom dwelling (revised scheme) – Subject to ‘Written representation’ appeal (APP/Q1255/A/09/2102722) The date for final comments

from the appellants and LPA was 29/06/09. The date of the site visit has yet to be announced.

Land adj. 2 Mornish Road

(a) Conservation area application to erect a 5-bed detached house with integral garage, access from Mornish Road (Revised scheme)Appeal (APP/Q1255/A/09/2098623) allowed on 24/07/09.

(b) Erect a 5-bed detached house with attached garage, access from Mornish Road. (Revised Scheme) – Application registered on 29/06/09.

Canford Cliffs, Promenade 2 (a) Construction of 18 new beach huts – Application No: 08/24380/005/F & (b) Conservation Area application to demolish 8 beach huts (nos 99-106) adjacent to Canford Cliffs Chine. Application No: 08/24380/007/U The applications were registered as long ago as 22/01/08 &13/02/08 respectively. MH will keep the Assn advised of any further developments.

19 Sandbourne Road (Demolish existing and erect 5 apartments over 3 storeys with basement parking and associated cycle and bin store) – Amended plans lodged on 24/08/09.

20 Balcombe Road (Demolish existing and erect 3 detached houses (Revised Scheme) –

Application refused on 27/05/09) – Application subject to Public Inquiry (APP/Q1255/A/09/2107902) to be held on 10/11/09 at 10.00am at the Civic Centre.

4-6 Compton Avenue (Demolish existing and erect 2 blocks of flats (10 in total) with basement parking,

bin and cycle stores. (Revised Scheme Block A). Revised plans received 05.02.2008) Application was registered as long ago as 18/12/07. Most recent posting on BoP planning Application website is a letter from the Agents dated 19/08/08 referring to the outstanding signed Section 106 Agreement which was due to be “issued to Poole Borough Council shortly.” The flats have been largely constructed but it appears that no further work has been carried out on this site since the demise of Ravine Lifestyle. It states at 3.2 ‘Distributions’ of the Administrators’ Progress Report for Ravine Lifestyle dated 21/07/09 that “Clydesdale, the secured lender also had cross guarantees in place over 57 Haven, 4 & 6 Compton, 101 Lilliput and Future 3000. Due to significant shortfalls for the secured creditors in these companies no further realisations were possible for Clydesdale.”

8 Shore Road – BPCCRA will continue to monitor possible tree work application. An entrance has been created on the Haven Road side of this property.

60A Kings Avenue (Tree Replacement Notices to replant 3 Scots Pines) – Confirmation awaited that the Council’s Arboriculturist visited both 60 and 60a to check tree issues and that letters sent to the owners requesting planting under Treework/Planning conditions.

4. ACCOUNTS TO DATE – In the JD’s absence, JS reported that funds at the end of August amounted to approx £34,230.

JS said that JG has been in touch to say that he is hoping that the Autumn 2009 magazine will be ready for distribution by Friday 16 October.


Mobile ‘Phone Mast, Elgin Road – Chris Stracey Had spoken to a Surveyor (Richard Dunk of Tyco Electronics UK Infrastructure Ltd) at the Pottery Road/Elgin Road mast site who had informed him that Vodaphone are carrying out a national survey of all masts as they need more powerful ones. It is possible that he will be in contact with the Local Planning Authority in the coming weeks about replacing the existing masts with taller ones.

Chairman’s note: Depending on these discussions any pre-application consultation that may result will include the Residents Associations.

Private sewers – Mrs Shirley Critchley raised a question about sharing the cost of clearing a blockage of drain where this is connected to a private sewer. Following an emergency problem with the private sewers shared by seven properties in Links Road, Mrs Critchley had paid Wessex Water in advance to do the repairs, she had subsequently been re-imbursed by all except one of the other residents. In this instance, the amount outstanding was small, but Mrs Critchley was concerned that there could be a serious problem in the future if a large amount was involved. It was suggested by members that Mrs Critchley could contact the Small Claims Court, or the Land Registry as the shared responsibility would be in the Deeds. From 2011, water companies will be responsible for private sewers, but most probably costs would be passed on.

There being no other AOB, JS closed closed at 8.20pm.

Date of next meeting: The next meeting is Wednesday 14th October 2009 in the Main Hall at Branksome St Aldhelm’s Parish Centre (Entrance via Lindsay Road)